Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

1 hour ago, quiller said:

Shipping costs from Mark7. I was thinking of picking up a few items while I wait for my Evo to come in. However, UPS ground is the cheapest option on Mark7 site at a cost of $31.40! Seems a tad high for shipping two Extra Spring Kits and one Mark7 PowderSense Complete Sensor (total cost of parts $144.89) from FL to MA. I shipped via the shipping department here in my office an entire Dillon 650 with accessories in its original box and a Dillon Case Feeder in a separate box from MA to CA for $33 FedEx ground....that was for both boxes! I can see paying $10, possible $12 for what I want from Mark7, but $33 seems very high. I'd like to hears from others on this thread but feedback/explanation directly from Mark7 will be greatly appreciated.    

Sir, I would suggest calling or emailing in and asking that question. I work in shipping, myself, and sometimes dimensions, values, or weights can be screwy with a system and throw the shipping charge off. It also might have to do with insurance, signature required, or something along those lines.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thetimb

Thank you for posting the picture of rifle guide rod. Earlier this month I added one to my EVO-PRO which is on order in .223 and added the power trimmer as well. Someday it will come. I had also asked about the third pin (looking forward to larger calibers) and was informed that it was not yet available. So for now it sits as is.

I would like to inquire what would be the top three sensors I should get for this press?

Thank you

Ed

4 minutes ago, Cragsman said:

Thetimb

Thank you for posting the picture of rifle guide rod. Earlier this month I added one to my EVO-PRO which is on order in .223 and added the power trimmer as well. Someday it will come. I had also asked about the third pin (looking forward to larger calibers) and was informed that it was not yet available. So for now it sits as is.

I would like to inquire what would be the top three sensors I should get for this press?

Thank you

Ed

swage sense and bullet sense are a must. 

Is it me or has anyone else noticed a change to the press builder page?

It looks like now it is called an "Evolution + Core" and you have the option to select whatever type of accessories and different types of bullet/case feeders.

Can anyone confirm if the Evo Pro comes with a Swage Sense or if I need to add it to my order? (Yes, I called M7 already and I am waiting a call back on that).

14 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

and powder sense. I'd also put decap sense a higher priority than the bullet sense. In reality I think you need all they offer as each one speeds up the workflow. My machine came with decap and swage sense and I bought powder and bullet sense. I will get the primer orientation sensor whenever it becomes available (more useful for those with auto collators).

I'd say I get a few hits on the decap sense every few thousand, swaging clears up debris for priming station and prevents jams, powder sense is safety, and bullet sense prevents jams as well in that I get a few upside down bullets which dump an extra bullet on the press somewhere every few thousand. My machine now is tuned to do 2,500RPH (in reality 2,220 with dwells factored in). That is too fast to react right away when I see an upside down bullet in that it gets seated before I can stop the press, so bullet sense helps there.

28 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

SwageSense comes with the Pro package (or at least did when I ordered).

For bullet sense I have not found any need, at least not with 9mm FMJ bullets and when using Redding Premium expander die. Bullets drop very straight to the case and stay there, at least with the speeds that I have run the machine so far (around 1300--1700 RPH). Maybe bulletsense is needed if you run it faster, load coated bullets or different calibers...

PowderSense I would add since the powder measure does not have a mechanical forced return. Has not happened to me, but it could get stuck and then you could end up with squib loads.

5 hours ago, Norm37 said:

?  Your reply below started me studying the tool head and came up with the following idea so I would not have to remove the tool head.

I have these on all my dies.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165277407/hornady-lock-n-load-die-bushings

So I thought why not use them by just installing the Hornady Lock-N-Load Press Conversion Bushing on my Evolution tool head

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/799411/hornady-lock-n-load-press-conversion-bushing

I would install them on stations 4 through 10.  Looks like pins between stations 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 so might not be enough room.

I have done a lot of tapping  but would farm this job out to a machinist.  I wouldn't trust myself on something needing such precise work.

Andy   I have just looked at a picture of the tool head so not sure if enough room to increase the holes in the tool head from 7/8" to 1 1/4" ?

Looking at your tool head what are your thoughts, enough room ?

This way I would not have to remove the tool head or even buy additional ones.

Thanks again, Norm

Ps.  Do you think I would need to adjust the Mighty Armory swage hold down  die on station 3 each time I changed calibers because case heads might have different thicknesses ?

2nd. Ps. For those that also have a single stage press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjyK5i7JgIE

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/858110/hornady-lock-n-load-press-and-die-conversion-bushing-kit

Kiss that warranty good bye if you open up the holes

3 minutes ago, tanks said:

and powder sense. I'd also put decap sense a higher priority than the bullet sense. In reality I think you need all they offer as each one speeds up the workflow. My machine came with decap and swage sense and I bought powder and bullet sense. I will get the primer orientation sensor whenever it becomes available (more useful for those with auto collators).

I'd say I get a few hits on the decap sense every few thousand, swaging clears up debris for priming station and prevents jams, powder sense is safety, and bullet sense prevents jams as well in that I get a few upside down bullets which dump an extra bullet on the press somewhere every few thousand. My machine now is tuned to do 2,500RPH (in reality 2,220 with dwells factored in). That is too fast to react right away when I see an upside down bullet in that it gets seated before I can stop the press, so bullet sense helps there.

couldn't disagree more about the decap sensor. If you have mixed brass that has no primer its going to set the sensor off every time. The swage sense will detect a ringer.

Confirmed - Changes in the builder AND prices. Also, those of you who received the swage sensor with your press were lucky.

I ordered before these changes as well and was told the swage sense is not included, so I had to add it to my order. 

18 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

couldn't disagree more about the decap sensor. If you have mixed brass that has no primer its going to set the sensor off every time. The swage sense will detect a ringer.

I run either brass that has primers or brass that has primers already decapped then I just turn off the sensor. I have yet to see a batch of brass where it is mixed from my suppliers (unless I mix it up, then it would be my workflow issue).

57 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

Sir, I don't think you're looking at this press the same way other people are.

Yes you are correct. 

I was googling for a 7 station press came across Dillon 1050, RCBS Pro-chucker 7, and the Evolution.  The Evolution seems like the best of the three.  So if I upgrade from a 5 station to a 7 station why not get the best?  The Revolution is out of my price range.  Also the Evolution seems like it would be a lot smoother (Less strain on my old shoulders) to operate than the other two and way better built. 

The Dillon 1050 is really not that much cheaper than the Evolution, so the extra bucks for the Evolution seems like a bargain.

All I'm trying to do is cut my handle pulls in half.  On my 5 station I have to do two pass reloading.  My shoulders are starting to feel the many handle pulls.

If needed in the future, I could get the Pro conversion kit and no handle pulls ?

I know it's the best press for me even if I will never operate it to it's full potential.

57 minutes ago, SSGJohnV said:

And yes, I think you would have to adjust your hold down die when you switch calibers. Or, you can use a resizing die with the pin removed.

I will consider that. I'm going to use a sizing die in station 4 so maybe in three also.

Thanks, Norm

28 minutes ago, mikamarj said:

...PowderSense I would add since the powder measure does not have a mechanical forced return. Has not happened to me, but it could get stuck and then you could end up with squib loads.

I have had 5 squib loads in the first 5K or so I loaded without the powder sense. Powder sense caught a couple more after, In fairness this was before the powder measure modifications. So, hopefully the updated measures do not skip a load.

4 hours ago, quiller said:

Shipping costs $33 seems very high. 

Yes very high, call like others suggested.

I checked my shipping cart,  I'm adding stuff to order when my Evolution arrives.

Bullet Feeder Conversions : Pistol 9mm and 45 acp,  Spare Tool Head ,  Spare Tool Head Holder,  Case Feeder Conversion Kit,  UPS Ground $16.04 for all.

Vancouver, Washington about as far as you can get from Pennsylvania.

Edited by Norm37

1 hour ago, SSGJohnV said:

Sir, I would suggest calling or emailing in and asking that question. I work in shipping, myself, and sometimes dimensions, values, or weights can be screwy with a system and throw the shipping charge off. It also might have to do with insurance, signature required, or something along those lines.

I called Mk7 on my drive home and talked to the owner (Jay). Jay indicated that the shipping calculator is not working correctly. While I had his ear I got an update on my press. It's on the assembly line and will be on a pallet to DAA soon enough. I also learned that this batch will have many updates over previously shipped machines. Jay seems like a stand up guy and we chatted for quite some time. He's committed to putting out a first class machine with first class customer service. After our call I feel he is achieving both. 

2 minutes ago, quiller said:

I called Mk7 on my drive home and talked to the owner (Jay). Jay indicated that the shipping calculator is not working correctly. While I had his ear I got an update on my press. It's on the assembly line and will be on a pallet to DAA soon enough. I also learned that this batch will have many updates over previously shipped machines. Jay seems like a stand up guy and we chatted for quite some time. He's committed to putting out a first class machine with first class customer service. After our call I feel he is achieving both. 

Any more information about the mentioned upgrades?

2 hours ago, tanks said:

Why not have them include it in your Evo Pro (assuming Pro seeing the PowderSense will only work for automated presses) shipment? Then, no worries.

I called and spoke with Jay. The (current) website is a little confusing and it appeared that the PowderSense would work on an Evo manual. 

6 minutes ago, mikamarj said:

Any more information about the mentioned upgrades?

He mentioned the powder drop which is in lots of post here, also as things get tested/upgraded they will become available. We chatted mostly about the press and Mark7 in general....and its all good stuff.

18 minutes ago, quiller said:

I called Mk7 on my drive home and talked to the owner (Jay). While I had his ear I got an update on my press. It's on the assembly line and will be on a pallet to DAA soon enough.

I hope it's a big pallet?  Did he happen to mention how many he was shipping to DAA this Month? 

I also learned that this batch will have many updates over previously shipped machines.

That's great news.  I'm happy for you.?

Norm

Edited by Norm37

1 hour ago, Norm37 said:

I hope it's a big pallet?  Did he happen to mention how many he was shipping to DAA this Month? 

He didn’t say how many but the last time I saw a photo of a pallet full of presses on Mk7 Facebook page there were quite a few on there! I’m more excited than ever at this point. At my age it don’t take much to get my heart rate up!

2 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I load 40 only and I see no need for bullet sense.  The one time per 1k that a get a toppled bullet really isnt that big of a deal.  At least it wasnt on my m7x

I load .40 as well, but I am just lazy. I don't have to pay as close attention to the press with the remote stop when it is chugging at an effective rate of 2,200 RPH. Can be feeding primers to the collator, dumping bullets or dumping cases every so often instead.

Evo manual owners. I really pressed for space but I think I can carve out enough room inside our temporary apartment for my new toy (went it arrives). According to Mk7 site the Evo dimensions as follows:

Overall machine dimensions are 37" tall (94cm) X 27" (68.6cm) wide x 18" deep

Can someone please verify the overalls dimensions and let me know if the above are correct. Thanks all

2 hours ago, quiller said:

Evo manual owners. I really pressed for space but I think I can carve out enough room inside our temporary apartment for my new toy (went it arrives). According to Mk7 site the Evo dimensions as follows:

Overall machine dimensions are 37" tall (94cm) X 27" (68.6cm) wide x 18" deep

Can someone please verify the overalls dimensions and let me know if the above are correct. Thanks all

There are a few pictures of the Evo unit on a guys work bench, page 3 and 4 in the following website.  These might give you some idea on space and how you can set yours up.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Mark-7-Reloading-s-new-Evolution-Pro-press/42-488088/&page=3

The pictures start about two thirds of the way down page three and continue on through page 4.  The first picture, the shipping box on the porch. 

Hope you come home from work  and see a box like that.? UPS  De Liver  Da Sooner Da Better ?

Edited by Norm37