Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

On 10/7/2018 at 12:18 AM, mikamarj said:

Any experiences on using Brass Juice case lube?

I've used Dillon case lube, but that leaves the ammo a bit sticky. And here we don't have One Shot spray available. Next gonna test Brass Juice...

Got my Brass Juice handgun case lube. Quickly testing, it feels better than the Dillon, not as sticky. With non-lubed cases I had to go up to 8-10/20 on the digital clutch. Using Brass Juice resizing 9mm worked with as little as 1-2/20. Highly recommended!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Norm37 said:

An unheated storage garage is really bad on metal parts, Especially if their is no vapor barrier under the concrete slab.  Even a heated one without a vapor barrier is bad on metal.

How about making it a routine to pull the handle three or four times on the Evolution every other day or maybe even daily to spread grease on all the parts?

Especially in a climate with wide variations in temperature and/or humidity, I wouldn't want to put a complex, expensive piece of equipment in a regular garage.  Too many metal surfaces, too many interactive parts.  Also, primers don't draw moisture but powder does.  I wouldn't want to be spraying my $3000 Evo (or my 650 and 550) with WD40 and going out to crank them every couple of days; I'd surely forget and the rust would begin to grow. 

I don't have a basement at all and do have such a garage.  My loading setup is in a small bedroom, climate controlled.  I'll find a way to add the Evo to it when I get one (probably sell the 550), but I most surely want to protect the investment and keep the peace of mind. 

29 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Especially in a climate with wide variations in temperature and/or humidity, I wouldn't want to put a complex, expensive piece of equipment in a regular garage.  Too many metal surfaces, too many interactive parts.  Also, primers don't draw moisture but powder does.  I wouldn't want to be spraying my $3000 Evo (or my 650 and 550) with WD40 and going out to crank them every couple of days; I'd surely forget and the rust would begin to grow. 

I don't have a basement at all and do have such a garage.  My loading setup is in a small bedroom, climate controlled.  I'll find a way to add the Evo to it when I get one (probably sell the 550), but I most surely want to protect the investment and keep the peace of mind. 

I have had my 1050s in a garage in the Florida heat and humidity with no issues.

The evolution is there with no issues as well. Just get a nice cover for the machine and it’s really a non issue. 

I do store all powders and primers in the house. 

37 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

I have had my 1050s in a garage in the Florida heat and humidity with no issues.

The evolution is there with no issues as well. Just get a nice cover for the machine and it’s really a non issue. 

I do store all powders and primers in the house. 

Thanks for the info.  Encouraging.

Re: Evo location. Thanks to all who posted. Our storage garage is my least favorite choice. We recently moved and space inside is a premium. We went from 2,600 sq/ft 3 bed plus another 1,200 or so in unconditioned storage to a 1,200 sq/ft 2 bed apartment and a standard garage....thats full, front to back, floor to ceiling. However, I do have another location that is conditioned but not close to our apartment I will most likely use. At least it sounds like I can dump the powder fairly easily between runs. Cheers, Alan

2 hours ago, Thetimb said:

The decap pin gets rusty, that's the only thing I have noticed over the years in the garage. 

That, and it's really not so much fun loading in a cold or hot/humid garage.  Think I'll stick to a conditioned interior space for now! ?

12 hours ago, RGA said:

....After some frustrations with the powder measure (funnel/powder spillage mostly) I installed one of my Dillons with double return springs and it works fine. This is the same way I run them on my Dillon presses, double return springs and without the rod. Been doing that for decades.

Are you sure you had the powder measure set up right? At least I haven't noticed any spillage and I'm loading quite full cases of 9mm major. 

I just got off the phone with Mark 7 it looks like their powder measure issue has pushed the whole schedule back and my press that was due for September might be due for the November time frame. I guess I will have to break out the red beast for another run. As we decided at sectionals I could have had 2 or 3 1050s running by now.

3 minutes ago, WarrenZ said:

I just got off the phone with Mark 7 it looks like their powder measure issue has pushed the whole schedule back and my press that was due for September might be due for the November time frame. I guess I will have to break out the red beast for another run. As we decided at sectionals I could have had 2 or 3 1050s running by now.

Whats the actual issue? I got the same message on my conversion kit the other day but didn’t pry for details. 

Just now, WarrenZ said:

Apparently they are re machining the drum and metering assembly from oval to round as they had complaints of powder packing and not throwing consistently. 

Are they replacing the existing funnels?

41 minutes ago, WarrenZ said:

Did you order directly from Mark 7 or elsewhere. However, I'm assuming all orders will be delayed including from DAA (where I ordered from). I honestly don't mind waiting assuming I will be getting a better machine.

58 minutes ago, tanks said:

BTW, if you plan on getting the second guide pin it will add another step to switching calibers to disconnect it from one head and connect it to another.

Thanks for the info,  Hadn't thought about that.  

Now more decisions a second guide pin on each head?  That's kind of spendy.  Maybe just use the head with the second guide pin for 9mm, that seems to be the pistol caliber that is the hardest to size.

If needed I can always switch it as you suggested.

Thanks again, Norm

Edited by Norm37

48 minutes ago, Norm37 said:

.Now more decisions a second guide pin on each head?  That's kind of spendy.  Maybe just use the head with the second guide pin for 9mm, that seems to be the pistol caliber that is the hardest to size.

If needed I can always switch it as you suggested.

Thanks again, Norm

It is not practical to have a second guide pin for each additional head. The bottom of the guide pin attaches to the bottom of the press on the side. So, you'd have to disconnect it from the bottom in order to remove the tool head with it. So, same procedure just a different location.

And I agree with the others that most likely you do not need a second guide pin. 

3 hours ago, tanks said:

And I agree with the others that most likely you do not need a second guide pin. 

Probably not, but then again if I had it I might be tempted to get out my safe Queen rifle and shoot a few shots and reload a few rounds.? Though at my age  it will probably remain a safe queen and become part of my estate.

https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/specSheets/6907.html

Years ago I took my Aimpoint H1 Red Dot Sight off  the rifle and put it on my Glock 20.  I realized it was a waste sitting in the safe on a rifle I didn't use anymore.

Edited by Norm37

6 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I just got mine yesterday.  Have it about 60% assembled.  Not sure how to tell what measure I have. 

Did you decide on using the included Lee die set or use your old dies.

I setup the included Lee die set, but might order the mighty armory dies now...

Everything is setup besides the bullet feeder for me tonight.  The Evolution is so smooth.

Edited by armedmoose
Words

I had a full redding set I will use. I also ordered a mighty armory decap and swage hold down yesterday.   Got my dram worx hopper today.

Got it pretty much setup except I installed the wire for the bullet feeder before installing the m7 capacitor.  It was on tight as hell and I stripped a wire out of the connector removing it.  I'll go get a new connector tomorrow. 

20181009_233126.jpg

Edited by CrashDodson

4 minutes ago, jcwallace84 said:

RGA,  I was having this trouble as well.  Mainly when I had lube on the brass.  The problem went away with very clean brass, which would preclude a one pass sizing loading for 223.  I would imagine that redesigning that one metal part would be fairly simple for Mark 7 to do.  

So... is this a 223/556 issue in particular? Or would it apply to other as well? 9mm would be my primary concern...

1 hour ago, jcwallace84 said:

RGA,  I was having this trouble as well.  Mainly when I had lube on the brass.  The problem went away with very clean brass, which would preclude a one pass sizing loading for 223.  I would imagine that redesigning that one metal part would be fairly simple for Mark 7 to do.  

Hi Jake,

The main reason I got this press is to be able to do a one pass reloading cycle... I'm waiting for the trimmer kit to become available, as it would also trim off any case lube left on the case mouth. I hope that will help. Otherwise I will just continue to use my Dillon powder measures for ball powders. To be honest, I really don't care which powder measure is on the toolhead. As long as it doesn't give me a headache.  I'm not planning to automate my Evo anyway... ?

Btw, you have a Lock 'n Load right? Does that powder funnel fit the MK7 powder measure?

Edited by RGA

54 minutes ago, ddc said:

So... is this a 223/556 issue in particular? Or would it apply to other as well? 9mm would be my primary concern...

Hi DDC,

I think this potential issue is restricted to bottle neck cases.