Mark7 Evolution

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, kosh79 said:

Are you intentionally trying to get the thread shut down?

GrumpyOne   Please, Please don't shut the thread down because of this person. 

I have been getting a lot of valuable information on this thread.

Edited by Norm37

I placed an order for the decap sense, which showed in stock and the powder sensor which is on back order.  With the press able to cycle but the shell plate not advance I would feel better with the powder sensor in there.  Ive had the primer bar stick a few times that I noticed.  Now I have about 1000 rounds that I dont feel confident about.  I suppose I could weigh them but all I have is a balance beam type scale.  I suppose I could weigh a known good round and then weigh them all.  Not sure if I could detect a difference in 4.5 grains with this cheap scale.  

4 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

With the press able to cycle but the shell plate not advance I would feel better with the powder sensor in there.

Page 26 Evolution PDF manual.

"It is important to check the indexing adjustment whenever performing routine press maintenance.

There are 3 main adjustments points /areas to check"

check the upper limit stop and lower limit stop adjustments

"The height of the index pawl is critical if it set too low or too high the shell plate will miss indexing altogether."

Page 28  

"With the machine at the top of the stoke the index pawl should be adjusted so the leading edge of the pawl is in contact with the inside wall of the shellplate indexing hole. Once this is set remove the shellplate and confirm that the index pawl is between .060 - .100" above the top plate surface."

Edited by Norm37

5 hours ago, mikamarj said:

Even if it is, I feel the powder measure works smoother when it does only the powder drop

A lot smoother on my Hornady Lock N Load.   Spilled powder a lot ? and was always cleaning the primer slide that got gummed up with powder.  I think from the expander sticking in the case slightly and the case (with powder) moving when it finally released from the expander.

I went two doing two stage reloading.  First stage.  size & de-prime, prime, bell  second stage.  powder drop, powder check, bullet drop, seat bullet, crimp bullet.

No more spilled powder.?

The Mark 7  10 stations is the cats meow ?

Edited by Norm37

1 hour ago, tanks said:

I'd just relegate the 1,000 rounds to practice as having a squib is not going to be as much of a disaster as zeroing a stage.

I have never reloaded 40 S&W.   Will the case hold a double charge?   Or did you ever get a lot of powder spillage  that might have been from a bullet seating on a double charge?

I would be worried if the shell plate did not move and a case had powder.   The head and powder measure coming down on that case would add another charge.

Ps.  CrashDodson   Billy did you ever check the Pawl height?

Edited by Norm37

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

I measured and it was within spec. The problem is when the primer rocker sticks in the up position the bar that seats the primers blocks the shell plate from advancing but the press keeps cycling. 

Check with Mark 7 about you polishing the primer rocker with Tripoli and Rouge.  That should not void the warranty. 

Edited by Norm37

Yes when I caught the press cycling but not advancing I ended up with a double charge that i pulled out. My worry is there were times i was not laser focused and fear it could have happened without me knowing. 

In that case it would probably be best to pull the bullets and redo them.

22 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Ya it was weird the toolhead was going up and down but the shell plate was not moving.  It could be due to me changing the index settings to fix the shell plate stutter.  But I dont think I should have to oil that rocker bar every 300 rounds either.  When I measured the pawl it was .075ish.  which is in the range in the documentation. 

I'm curious what kind of support you're getting from Mk7 on this.

Support sent me a customized guide for primer system to look over.  Im not available to work on it at home during normal business hours so im sure its going to be some back and forth via email.  I worked late last night and was unable to fiddle with the press yet.  

In regards to support I have been happy with it overall. That being said they are also at the mercy of their subcontractors and if the subcontractors screw up on the specs then issues that call for replacing parts can take a while due to the supply chain lead times. They released 3 products almost simultaneously and I have a feeling it will take a bit before all parts are vetted (in house testing does not catch everything), and adjustments made. The Revolution I bought is different than the Revolution that was at the Shot show and I am sure it will be different than the one that will be on sale next year. I have made one adjustment (as advised) that the new ones already have from the factory and have had replacement parts sent (free of charge) as issues were discovered.

In short, customer service is there and I expect there will be less of a need for it as time goes by.

1 hour ago, tanks said:

The Revolution I bought is different than the Revolution that was at the Shot show and I am sure it will be different than the one that will be on sale next year.

Now I am glad I'm last on the DAA list for an Evolution.  The longer it takes for me to receive it the better (kinks worked out) the Press.  I was hoping around Christmas,  If it takes longer no big deal.

5 hours ago, tanks said:

In regards to support I have been happy with it overall. That being said they are also at the mercy of their subcontractors and if the subcontractors screw up on the specs then issues that call for replacing parts can take a while due to the supply chain lead times. They released 3 products almost simultaneously and I have a feeling it will take a bit before all parts are vetted (in house testing does not catch everything), and adjustments made. The Revolution I bought is different than the Revolution that was at the Shot show and I am sure it will be different than the one that will be on sale next year. I have made one adjustment (as advised) that the new ones already have from the factory and have had replacement parts sent (free of charge) as issues were discovered.

In short, customer service is there and I expect there will be less of a need for it as time goes by.

Agreed. Customer support can be a little slower than I would like when you follow the normal support channels but when you get someone on the phone you are treated like a million dollar customer.  I knew what I was getting into when I bought a brand new press from them but I know in the end it will all work out. Their sensors for the auto drive on my 1050 were top notch and customer service was great then and still is now.

They just need to come out with the primer collator for the evolution and work the kinks out there. I'll buy an entire new setup just for large primer ;)

9 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

...I ran 300 rounds tonight without trouble except for the continued issue of primers sticking to the mighty armory pin. Out of 300 I had about 10 stoppages due to the decaping.

Call Wayne at Mighty armory. I went from a similar issue to almost none sticking after we went through couple of iteration of pins. The tapered pin that is at a slight offset did the trick for me.

9 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I followed the document sent to me by support for tuning the priming system. The only thing I needed to adjust slightly was a set screw that determines the rearward travel of the primer slide.  I ran 300 rounds tonight without trouble except for the continued issue of primers sticking to the mighty armory pin. Out of 300 I had about 10 stoppages due to the decaping. The sensor should help speed clearing those once I get it. 

Looks great!

You are a couple of steps ahead of me..   

• Tonight attach Mark 7 Autodrive (waiting on a tool, Sucks living in rural flyover state, everything has to be UPSed in)...
  • Next week play with swagesense.
  • Be as cool as Crash. ?

22 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

I really feel like swage sense is only beneficial for people loading rounds that require a higher digital clutch setting, like rifle rounds.  What ever force is required to trip the swage sense I can not generate using pistol digital clutch settings.  Ive run it as high as 6 but currently have it at 5 since I am sizing twice.  

On friday I will have the decap sense and possibly the powder check.  

There is a set screw on the swage sense that you can adjust. If it’s off it won’t pickup a ringer. 

ive adjusted the micro switch but have never been able to get it to work.  I have a ticket opened about it. but like you said, i suppose it really doesnt matter which piece stops the press.  almost wish I would have spent that money on a different sensor though because I will never load rifle rounds.  

Edited by CrashDodson

Looks like I might get my Evolution sooner than Christmas.  Just go a call from DAA wanting to confirm that I want my order changed from 40 S&W to 10mm.  

DAA had received a call from Mark 7, saying they are getting ready to  build my machine and wanted confirmation before making the change.

?

Edited by Norm37

ive adjusted the micro switch but have never been able to get it to work.  I have a ticket opened about it. but like you said, i suppose it really doesnt matter which piece stops the press.  almost wish I would have spent that money on a different sensor though because I will never load rifle rounds.  

I really couldnt disagree more. If you get the swage sense dialed in properly you really don’t need an optical decap sensor. 

Any stuck primer would be detected by the swage sense. 

20 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

I really couldnt disagree more. If you get the swage sense dialed in properly you really don’t need an optical decap sensor. 

Any stuck primer would be detected by the swage sense. 

From what I understand, the sensors are for the Evolution Pro.  How do those who have the Evolution detect these kind of problems?

Ps.  Now I am wondering if it might be worth the upgrade to the Pro just to be able to use all the sensors available?

I will probably never do the round count to justify automating the Press.

Edited by Norm37