Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

2 hours ago, Norm37 said:

For those who want a precise powder charge on the manually operated Hornady Lock N Load progressive press.  They load the powder manually and don't use the case activated powder drop.

2 hours ago, Norm37 said:

Ps.  Not sure if this could be used on the Evolution Pro or the Revolution as I don't have any idea about the maximum dwell time on the press.  Or even how it works.  Seems the press would have to stop long enough to pour the powder.

I don't think Evolution, Pro or not, is the right machine for that style of reloading. Evolution, even without autodrive, is a high volume optimized machine, meant for cranking thousands of rounds per session.

And like I said, I measured my Mark 7 powder measure and the charges were quite accurate, definitely accurate enough for practical shooting winning ammo. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, LowBoost said:

Does anyone that pre-ordered a primer collator for the Evo/Pro has received an ETA of when it should be available?

I was told it’s still in engineering. I pre ordered it a long long time ago. 

Something about they cant get the Costs down to the initial price they offered it at. 

Edited by Thetimb

2 hours ago, mikamarj said:

I don't think Evolution, Pro or not, is the right machine for that style of reloading. Evolution, even without autodrive, is a high volume optimized machine, meant for cranking thousands of rounds per session.

Ok I just wanted to let other know that die should work on the Evolution. $19.99  vs the price of a dedicated precision loading press.

I really like the quality of the Evolution and realize it is probably going way over board for my kind of reloading, a few hundred rounds per session.

The Dillon XL650 would probably be ideal for me.  But like the old saying goes, needs and wants are two different things. 

I have a couple months before my Evolution order ships so have been going back and fourth, should I  cancel and get the Dillon XL650 or the RCBS Pro chucker 7 instead?  But then I want the Evolution even though not really needed.  No I want the Revolution but would have to be crazy to order it. ?

Edited by Norm37

1 hour ago, Norm37 said:

Ok I just wanted to let other know that die should work on the Evolution. $19.99  vs the price of a dedicated precision loading press.

By the time you add the required caliber conversion kits for anything you'd need that die for you are looking at much more than the cost of a single stage press. 

3 hours ago, tanks said:

By the time you add the required caliber conversion kits for anything you'd need that die for you are looking at much more than the cost of a single stage press. 

I was suggesting this die for those that already had everything set up and thought it would be nice to use for precise loads while Mark 7 perfects their powder measure.  I have the Lock N Load so I know about its parts even though I myself have not used the die.  But if I had ever wanted to do precise loads I would have used that die instead of my case activated powder drop.

I have really got to restrain myself and stop blurting out my thoughts on this forum.  My sister tells me all the time that I have diarrhea of the mouth, ? now that has spilled over to the keyboard. ?

Everyone on this forum is a lot more knowledgeable than I am with my limited reloading experience.  The more I post the dumber I feel.

Edited by Norm37

39 minutes ago, andrewtac said:

Got a shipping notice.   

Good for you. I'm trying to get a sense for when I can expect to get my shipping notice. I ordered and Evolution from DAA on June 6, 2018 and I'm located in MA. Do you mind answering the following: What press did you order, what date did you order it, where did you order from (Mk7, DAA, Shooters) and where are you located? Thanks, Alan

Evolution manual powder drop data point:

Set for 5.0grbdrop of pistol powder, very fine ball powder.

Manual cycle 10 drops.. total weight was 50.06 great.

Midway thru a primer tube, pulled dropped powder case, measure from case 5.04gr.

Edited by armedmoose
Words

35 minutes ago, armedmoose said:

Evolution manual powder drop data point:

Set for 5.0grbdrop of pistol powder, very fine ball powder.

Manual cycle 10 drops.. total weight was 50.06 great.

Midway thru a primer tube, pulled dropped powder case, measure from case 5.04gr.

I wish my Dillon powder measure was that precise. That would be more than good enough for me.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, slavex said:

then the sizing die above the primer station?

Any others doing this?  I think I might???   I would use the de-capping pin retainer without the pin for the hold down while sizing.

I would use the Mighty Armory® Universal Decapping Die in station two and Swage hold down in station three.

1 hour ago, Norm37 said:

Any others doing this?  I think I might???   I would use the de-capping pin retainer without the pin for the hold down while sizing.

I would use the Mighty Armory® Universal Decapping Die in station two and Swage hold down in station three.

Yes, my order of the dies is:

1. Case feed
  2. Mighty Armory decapping die (amazing stuff, highly recommended!)
  3. Mighty Armory swage backup die / SwageSense
  4. Redding Premium Titanium Carbide resizing die with the decapping pin removed / priming
  5. Redding Premium Expander die
  6. Powder measure
  7. -empty- / waiting for PowderSense
  8. Mr. Bulletfeeder
  9. Redding Competition micrometer seating die
  10. Redding micrometer taper crimp die

Works well.

42 minutes ago, mikamarj said:

Yes, my order of the dies is:

1. Case feed
  2. Mighty Armory decapping die (amazing stuff, highly recommended!)
  3. Mighty Armory swage backup die / SwageSense
  4. Redding Premium Titanium Carbide resizing die with the decapping pin removed / priming
  5. Redding Premium Expander die
  6. Powder measure
  7. -empty- / waiting for PowderSense
  8. Mr. Bulletfeeder
  9. Redding Competition micrometer seating die
  10. Redding micrometer taper crimp die 

Works well.

Thanks a lot for the information.

All my dies for my pistol calibers are Hornady except for crimping and 9 X25 Dillon.

I will use the Lee (which I already have) crimp dies in station 10.

With your confirmation that's the way I will go.

I'm getting as much information as I can prior to receiving my Evolution Press.  When it arrives I will just set everything up and be good to go.

Thanks again, Norm

Edited by Norm37

11 hours ago, andrewtac said:

Evo Pro, ordered early this summer, MK7, TX

Thanks for the info. Seems like Evo Pro shipping direct from Mk7 are coming out a faster....which kinda makes sense, more money = move up the time frame. 

7 hours ago, tanks said:

I have this exact setup with the exception of Lee Crimp/Sizing die at Station 10. I have experimented with swapping 3&4 and found that the sizing die holds the case better centered for primer insertion (very important for primer collator system).

?  Your reply below started me studying the tool head and came up with the following idea so I would not have to remove the tool head.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, tanks said:

BTW, if you plan on getting the second guide pin it will add another step to switching calibers to disconnect it from one head and connect it to another.

I have these on all my dies.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165277407/hornady-lock-n-load-die-bushings

So I thought why not use them by just installing the Hornady Lock-N-Load Press Conversion Bushing on my Evolution tool head

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/799411/hornady-lock-n-load-press-conversion-bushing

I would install them on stations 4 through 10.  Looks like pins between stations 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 so might not be enough room.

I have done a lot of tapping  but would farm this job out to a machinist.  I wouldn't trust myself on something needing such precise work.

Andy   I have just looked at a picture of the tool head so not sure if enough room to increase the holes in the tool head from 7/8" to 1 1/4" ?

Looking at your tool head what are your thoughts, enough room ?

This way I would not have to remove the tool head or even buy additional ones.

Thanks again, Norm

Ps.  Do you think I would need to adjust the Mighty Armory swage hold down  die on station 3 each time I changed calibers because case heads might have different thicknesses ?

2nd. Ps. For those that also have a single stage press.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjyK5i7JgIE

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/858110/hornady-lock-n-load-press-and-die-conversion-bushing-kit

Edited by Norm37

9 hours ago, ddc said:

I wish my Dillon powder measure was that precise. That would be more than good enough for me.

There are other issues with the powder drop on long useage 300+ primers, I need to pick up a nylon nut like other suggested to stop the powder measure dial from moving.

14 hours ago, quiller said:

Good for you. I'm trying to get a sense for when I can expect to get my shipping notice. I ordered and Evolution from DAA on June 6, 2018 and I'm located in MA. Do you mind answering the following: What press did you order, what date did you order it, where did you order from (Mk7, DAA, Shooters) and where are you located? Thanks, Alan

It looks like the current lead time is about 6 months for those that ordered direct

7 hours ago, Norm37 said:

Thats what im doing.  

Shipping costs from Mark7. I was thinking of picking up a few items while I wait for my Evo to come in. However, UPS ground is the cheapest option on Mark7 site at a cost of $31.40! Seems a tad high for shipping two Extra Spring Kits and one Mark7 PowderSense Complete Sensor (total cost of parts $144.89) from FL to MA. I shipped via the shipping department here in my office an entire Dillon 650 with accessories in its original box and a Dillon Case Feeder in a separate box from MA to CA for $33 FedEx ground....that was for both boxes! I can see paying $10, possible $12 for what I want from Mark7, but $33 seems very high. I'd like to hears from others on this thread but feedback/explanation directly from Mark7 will be greatly appreciated.    

3 minutes ago, quiller said:

Shipping costs from Mark7. I was thinking of picking up a few items while I wait for my Evo to come in. However, UPS ground is the cheapest option on Mark7 site at a cost of $31.40! Seems a tad high for shipping two Extra Spring Kits and one Mark7 PowderSense Complete Sensor (total cost of parts $144.89) from FL to MA. I shipped via the shipping department here in my office an entire Dillon 650 with accessories in its original box and a Dillon Case Feeder in a separate box from MA to CA for $33 FedEx ground....that was for both boxes! I can see paying $10, possible $12 for what I want from Mark7, but $33 seems very high. I'd like to hears from others on this thread but feedback/explanation directly from Mark7 will be greatly appreciated.    

Maybe... Call them directly and not request they find your comment in a random thread on a random forum and respond. That is just lazy man.

Just now, Maximis228 said:

Maybe... Call them directly and not request they find your comment in a random thread on a random forum and respond. That is just lazy man.

Thanks for your comment. I was going to call them but was hoping to hear if other people felt like shipping costs were high. Perhaps it changes once you get a serial number and can create an account. Also, I'm fairly certain Mark7 is keeping an eye on a very popular thread on a site that is full of possible customers. Cheers

42 minutes ago, quiller said:

Shipping costs from Mark7. I was thinking of picking up a few items while I wait for my Evo to come in. However, UPS ground is the cheapest option on Mark7 site at a cost of $31.40! Seems a tad high for shipping two Extra Spring Kits and one Mark7 PowderSense Complete Sensor (total cost of parts $144.89) from FL to MA. ...

Why not have them include it in your Evo Pro (assuming Pro seeing the PowderSense will only work for automated presses) shipment? Then, no worries.