Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Evolution

Gents,

On the guide rods, these are the second and third rod accoring to MK7. When my 223 Evo was manufactured this option (the 2nd rod) was not available yet hence it was not included with my press. I might order one later but to be honest, I don't feel I really need one. If I get one it will be because it just looks darn cool!

guide rods.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, RGA said:

Hi DDC,

I think this potential issue is restricted to bottle neck cases.

Do you think it would also apply to bottle neck pistol case?  I have 9X25 Dillon and 40 Super (no dies yet for the 40 Super).

Ps. This info is good to know.  I will use the Hornady powder measure to reload 9X25 Dillon and also for the 40 Super if I decide to reload it.

I had forgot about those two cartridges.  Getting old.

Thanks, Norm

Edited by Norm37

3 hours ago, Norm37 said:

Do you think it would also apply to bottle neck pistol case?  I have 9X25 Dillon and 40 Super (no dies yet for the 40 Super).

Ps. This info is good to know.  I will use the Hornady powder measure to reload 9X25 Dillon and also for the 40 Super if I decide to reload it.

I had forgot about those two cartridges.  Getting old.

Thanks, Norm

I really don't know Norm, I can only report on my .223 powder funnel.

5 hours ago, RGA said:

Gents,

On the guide rods, these are the second and third rod accoring to MK7. When my 223 Evo was manufactured this option (the 2nd rod) was not available yet hence it was not included with my press. I might order one later but to be honest, I don't feel I really need one. If I get one it will be because it just looks darn cool!

guide rods.jpg

I am getting confused.  Posted Friday at 8:10 AM on page 29 Is a picture of what I thought where the guide Pins, Guide  Rods. Are there two different types?

Are they different on the Revolution, Evolution, Evolution Pro?   What are the two pins behind the screw holes on page 29?

31 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

I had the powder knob walk off, with 2 nuts on it after a 100 rounds or so and then the powder check was not catching the HUGE variations in powder throws.

the Hornady metering assembly has an rubber O ring between the two metal parts. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/631849/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-handgun-metering-assembly

Maybe you can find an O ring at Home Depot that will fit yours.  I think the lock nut will hold better on an O ring than a metal on metal surface because of any slight vibration.

Edited by Norm37

Man, it is alarming. I know that a lot of people will say that for a pistol the difference between 3.3 and 3.8 may not be that important, but I can guarantee you that when I shoot a 3.4 load I get a VERY different group from when I shoot a 3.8 load.

Perhaps that's the reason that Evolution production is at a halt. They may be taking care of a few issues and perfecting it. I rather wait some more time and get everything sorted out than dealing with early adopter issues.

As for the Powder Sensor, it may be a defective one, I recall someone mentioned it detected a .1gr difference earlier. I was impressed by that level of detection. 

Thanks for the info!

Edited by LowBoost

1 minute ago, LowBoost said:

Man, it is alarming. I know that a lot of people will say that for a pistol the difference between 3.3 and 3.8 may not be that important, but I can guarantee you that when I shoot a 3.4 load I get a VERY different group from when I shoot a 3.8 load.

Perhaps that's the reason that Evolution production is at a halt. They may be taking care of a few issues and perfecting it. I rather wait some more time and get everything sorted out than dealing with early adopter issues.

As for the Powder Sensor, it may be a defective one, I recall someone mentioned it detected a .1gr difference earlier.

Thanks for the info!

If you speed up the rounds per hour the charge is different as well. 

Powder check sensor can’t detect a 2 gr difference even with the rod assembly that has tighter tolerances. 

I am actually not comfortable loading anything else because all of this gets shot out of full auto. 

9 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

For me thats easily the difference in making Major PF or not. 

3 hours ago, tanks said:

The third guide rod goes where the BulletSense mounts on the bottom, so for those with automated presses they are mutually exclusive. 

That is incorrect, but I can understand how that would seem to be the case. The 3rd guide rod pin mounts in front of the crimp station, while the bullet sense mounts directly to the body of the machine close to the bullet feeder. You can use both the 3rd guide rod pin AND the bullet sense if you so choose.

John:

Understood. I personally, would not care much about the powder sensor, although I included it in my order.

Now, this being said, I am really worried about the powder measure issue some have reported. I am in no way stating this is a fact and that an issue exists, but if it is indeed validated, then this IS my biggest concern so far.

I want to thank all of you who already have your presses and are test beds for all of us that are waiting for ours. :)

Edited by LowBoost

4 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

John:

Understood. I personally, would not care much about the powder sensor, although I included it in my order.

Now, this being said, I am really worried about the powder measure issue some have reported. I am in no way stating this is a fact and that an issue exists, but if it is indeed validated, then this IS my biggest concern so far.

Mark 7 is aware of the powder measure consistency issues and are upgrading powder measures as quickly as they get parts in, as far as I know. I'd send them an email to get added to the list, with pictures of the powder measure so they know which version you have.

All,

So I just had a FaceTime call with Mark7 and as usual the customer service is top notch. 

You need to toss a nut with a lock washer on the knob or it can walk loose. The powder check sensor should really be used to detect a no charge or a double charge.

I am headed to the store to get some nylon sae nuts to ensure the powder knob isn't moving causing my powder throw issues. 

25 minutes ago, Thetimb said:

All,

So I just had a FaceTime call with Mark7 and as usual the customer service is top notch. 

You need to toss a nut with a lock washer on the knob or it can walk loose.

Good to know. 

Mark 7 must feel that will work better than an O (like Hornady uses) ring that I mentioned in an earlier reply.  I'm kind of curious how long the nylon will hold up before needing to replace the nut?  The O ring on my Hornady has never been replaced.

Edited by Norm37

I do have a spacer on both sides of the powder measure, but also had issues with the powder measure getting stuck. Mark 7 instructed me to remove the left side link arm while waiting for a final fix. That fixed the stickiness for me.

About the powder measure accuracy, that variation you are getting sounds quite big. I have a very accurate analytical scale (just calibrated, maximum error was 0.0001 grams) that I used to weigh 20 charges of VV 3N38. The spread was 0.09 grains which is in my opinion very good result. Probably the huge variation you are getting is result of the powder measure sticking, I'm sure Mark 7 will take care of that for you.

1 hour ago, LowBoost said:

Does anyone that pre-ordered a primer collator for the Evo/Pro has received an ETA of when it should be available?

I wasnt given an option to pre-order it. I was told it was still under development with maybe an end of year release date, nothing firm.

9 hours ago, mikamarj said:

About the powder measure accuracy, that variation you are getting sounds quite big. I have a very accurate analytical scale (just calibrated, maximum error was 0.0001 grams) that I used to weigh 20 charges of VV 3N38.

For those who want a precise powder charge on the manually operated Hornady Lock N Load progressive press.  They load the powder manually and don't use the case activated powder drop.

They use the:   Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Powder Funnel Die.  $19.99   This die should work on the Evolution Press.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/893757/hornady-lock-n-load-ap-powder-funnel-die

If you scroll down to additional information.  There is a link to the owners manual.

Ps.  Not sure if this could be used on the Evolution Pro or the Revolution as I don't have any idea about the maximum dwell time on the press.  Or even how it works.  Seems the press would have to stop long enough to pour the powder.

Edited by Norm37