Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA Scoring

Hammer002

When does the B scoring in USPSA officially go away?  I know the old targets are supposed to be still ok for use after the change, but more importantly, our new order for targets is going to be the new ones with no B zone.  I know I read it somewhere, but been reading so much I cant remember where or when.

Edit:  Found it

Ruling on B zone removal, Metric Targets  Effective January 4, 2018, by board consent.

Appendix B3, 9.1.4

Per the USPSA Board of Directors, the B zone on metric targets will be phased out over an indefinite period of time.  As vendors change target dies, the B zone letter designation and B line (perforation separating the current “B” zone” from the “C” zone) may be removed.  There is no need for a scoring system change at this time.  Rule 9.1.4 already allows B and C zone hits to be scored identically, therefore when scoring targets with a B zone, the B zone hits may still be called out and recorded as B hits, or may simply be scored as C zone hits.  Since the scoring zones count for the same amount of points, (4 for major hits and 3 for minor hits), scoring targets using Hit Factor scoring on targets without the B zone will not be affected by this change.

Edited by Hammer002

Here's your answer

From the minutes of the September 19, 2017 USPSA Board of Directors meeting:

The Board expressed unanimous support to approve a new target which extends the C-zone
into the upper panel, eliminating the B-zone and corresponding perforation in the
Metric Target, and will be moving forward with rule change process over the next few
months authorizing DNROI to proceed with the technical drawing to support the new
target design. The target scoring zones will be A, C, D, to be consistent with the Classic
Target. The existing metric target will remain in use indefinitely, allowing affiliates and
matches to use exhaust supplies without concern.

Ruling on B zone removal, Metric Targets  Effective January 4, 2018, by board consent.

Appendix B3, 9.1.4

Per the USPSA Board of Directors, the B zone on metric targets will be phased out over an indefinite period of time.  As vendors change target dies, the B zone letter designation and B line (perforation separating the current “B” zone” from the “C” zone) may be removed.  There is no need for a scoring system change at this time.  Rule 9.1.4 already allows B and C zone hits to be scored identically, therefore when scoring targets with a B zone, the B zone hits may still be called out and recorded as B hits, or may simply be scored as C zone hits.  Since the scoring zones count for the same amount of points, (4 for major hits and 3 for minor hits), scoring targets using Hit Factor scoring on targets without the B zone will not be affected by this change.

28 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It was the same points, buddy. Same points. And now it’s easier to score.

Like the guy who wants an overlay to decide if it's an Bravo or a Charlie. (I just give him the "look" and give him the Bravo (SMH )

• 3 weeks later...

If you shoot USPSA MG matches this has had a significant impact on those rules.  Previously ANY single hit in the upper A/B zone neutralized a target (time plus scoring.)  Now that there is no longer a "B" Zone, the rule was changed to read it must be an "A" Zone hit to count as neutralizing.  Something to keep in mind if your previous custom was to just go for any head shot to neutralize a target - You'll need to be a little more accurate now or put two in the target.

2 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

If you shoot USPSA MG matches this has had a significant impact on those rules.  Previously ANY single hit in the upper A/B zone neutralized a target (time plus scoring.)  Now that there is no longer a "B" Zone, the rule was changed to read it must be an "A" Zone hit to count as neutralizing.  Something to keep in mind if your previous custom was to just go for any head shot to neutralize a target - You'll need to be a little more accurate now or put two in the target.

Should have made the A zone bigger to reflect the size of the brain rather than the eye sockets. 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:16 AM, Covfefe said:

I resent the change! 

Missing a 2x3 sliver deserves something better (sounding) than missing lower A zone, which is 12x bigger. 

On the other hand I thought of it as the 'probably just lucky they didn't get a Mike' zone. 

If there isn’t any kind of reward for accuracy, what’s the point???

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

When I get to be King the turtle targets will be used a lot more. Cheaper, less moved around by wind, more rain bag friendly. 

yup

Classics, Turtles, IPSCs, amoebas.... I don't care what you call them, I like them better.

8 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

yup

Classics, Turtles, IPSCs, amoebas.... I don't care what you call them, I like them better.

Slippery slope though. Too many people start “preferring” and next thing you know they will be required.

I wouldn't care at all if they were the required target. The only problems with that I personally would have would be all the classifiers that would all need to be thrown out that use Metrics, and that we couldn't place targets upside down ever. Which is great for making people think rather than just flinging rounds at brown. 

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Slippery slope though. Too many people start “preferring” and next thing you know they will be required.

We are safe, if anybody ever started following any of my preferences hell would freeze over.