Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 1911,s

mwx40x40

I almost sold my Trojan the other day but I backed out on the sell.  Went to send the guy pics and decided the gun would be too hard to replace.  If you want one I would snatch one up.  They are excellent guns.  I used to and still do like springfields, but even the higher end ones that I have owned and/or handled were not fitted near as well as my sti

RJH. I am in the same boat. Having a open gun built and selling off some guns I don't shoot. Trojan is one I bought it for my wife. Every time I pick it up I know I would miss that gun. it has less than 500 rounds through it. She racked the slide and slipped off it and cut herself up now wont shoot it.

21 hours ago, mwx40x40 said:

Maybe I did something wrong,but when I went to STI website only 1911 SS they had was the DVC 1911. What happened to Trojan and all the others?

Dawson Precision still has a couple!  

1 hour ago, wingnut said:

RJH. I am in the same boat. Having a open gun built and selling off some guns I don't shoot. Trojan is one I bought it for my wife. Every time I pick it up I know I would miss that gun. it has less than 500 rounds through it. She racked the slide and slipped off it and cut herself up now wont shoot it.

Now they have a special bond.   Would be terrible not to shoot that !

I know lots of people love the Trojan, and I've had a couple, but I just don't like the fully ramped barrel in a 45. I had feeding issues with blunt shaped bullets like semi wadcutters. I tried all the major mags. The 40 was a feeding nightmare. Spend just a little more, and get a Dan Wesson. I listed most of my iron sight guns in the classified, but when I pulled out the PM9 from the safe, I put it right back. I'll be mostly blind before I sell it.

It's not just the Trojan.  I've got single stack Infinity with a ramped barrel that won't feed the first round in an 8 round mag of speer gold dots.  Which was a problem for a duty gun.  The fix was to use extra power mag springs which turned the 8 round mag into a 7 round mag.  No thanks.  In it's defense, it would run ball ammo all day long.

I think the 1911 market is pretty well saturated, but it is sad to see STI pull out.  For a long time their Spartan was a steal and the rest of their lineup compared well.  Outside of the sport community I think they struggle with name recognition compared to Springfield/Kimber/Ruger/Sig.  (say what you want about Kimber, but they have a TON of product out their to the public)