Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone seen this type of malfunction?

I took my 13 year old daughter today to shoot her first match (Steel Challenge)

We both shot PCC.  After the 5th stage, her gun just wouldn't load or shoot a round.  I let her shoot my PCC the rest of the match.  I immediately thought she had broken her firing pin since she runs a Hiperfire trigger.  Nope!  firing pin was fine.  Well....When we finished the match, I took 4 rounds and tried to fire the gun.  It didn't fire.  I tried loading one round into the chamber, It didn't fire.  It wouldn't even load the round.  As I looked closer, I thought she had something in the chamber.  When I got home, I pulled the gun apart and pulled out this little piece of brass from the chamber.  I have never seen this before.  I have never had anything like this happen before.  We both shot my reloads and I have loaded ten's of thousands of rounds. 

Her gun is a PSA Billet lower with Hiperfire 24C trigger.  She has a PSA slickside upper with the new PCC barrel and hybrid bolt with a BCM gunfighter charging handle. 

9mm case for size comparison

case malfunction (2).jpg

Edited by stick
5 minutes ago, open17 said:

Stepped brass.     

Several threads on it---bottom line is don't use it.

Yep! The split case on stepped brass looks just like mine.

It looks like I need to start sorting my brass again.

There are several brands - it's best to look in each case.  I use a couple of 40 cal plastic holders from factory ammo boxes, just fill one - cases up and down - and then flip into other holder.  Doesn't take long to look into the cases and you can also find other problems, like splits, etc, at the same time.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

There are several brands - it's best to look in each case.  I use a couple of 40 cal plastic holders from factory ammo boxes, just fill one - cases up and down - and then flip into other holder.  Doesn't take long to look into the cases and you can also find other problems, like splits, etc, at the same time.

great idea

3 hours ago, OPENB said:

Avoid FM (Freedom Munitions). They used stepped brass cases. Now I hear they use brass plated steel cases.

1 hour ago, wyliearms said:

Yep. Stepped brass. It sucks....

Thanks for the replies.

Time for me to get the kids to start sorting brass by headstamp again.

If you have enough brass to do so, only use one brand.  Makes life easier.  Not a bad idea to also have a second that loads the same (close to same case dimensions) to use at lost brass matches.

You can usually trade with other shooters for your chosen brand by trading what you don't use.

2 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

If you have enough brass to do so, only use one brand.  Makes life easier.  Not a bad idea to also have a second that loads the same (close to same case dimensions) to use at lost brass matches.

You can usually trade with other shooters for your chosen brand by trading what you don't use.

I wish I could load all one brand.  I will probably stick with the major brands when sorting.  

This has happened to me recently as well and the brass had similar stamps. However, this has only happened in my PCC which appears to have a tighter chamber after conducting plunk tests for reloads and shot many rounds with the same stamps and have many more left to shoot. They just won’t be through my PCC is all...