Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rulebook 2017.3

RePete

There is a new Rulebook 2017.3 and Match Admin Guide.

It ca be found here idpa.tech

Why does IDPA have to be so secretive?

What happened to no changes for 5 years and this is the third version in 1 year.

Actually, this change seems kind of huge.

http://www.idpa.tech/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Movement.pdf

I shot my first classifier today, and had practiced [the classifier] recently with a friend on our own.  It was apparently a surprise to just about everyone at today's match that strings 2 and 3 on stage 2 "no longer require shooting while advancing or retreating".  Nobody had a good explanation for it...just "new rule - you don't have to be moving while firing on those strings.  String 2, you start at one line and shoot anywhere from there to the front line.  String 3, just stand at the front line and shoot."  It took me quite a bit of searching to find the above, which I assume is the explanation for the apparent rule change we were told of during the stage walk-through.

So, because "movement" is subjective, to level the playing field and remove the SO's from the equation, they just decided to tell SO's to ignore stage requirements for any shooting on the move.  i.e. A stage can still say "shoot while advancing/retreating", but no PE will be assessed for failing to move for those shots.

I'm new to IDPA...only shot 2 matches prior to the classifier, but I think this is a step backwards for the sport, and others in my squad agreed.  Shooting on the move is a skill that could definitely mean the difference between winning or losing in a real gun fight.  It's disappointing that IDPA will no longer require its practice.

This is analogous to what the NFL is doing to their rules; making it into flag football.

Pretty soon for IDPA you will be able to self-declare your classification. We certainly don't want people actually  running through the classifier and needlessly exposing themselves to the tripping hazards created by the raised fault lines.

Edited by ddc

• 2 weeks later...

The IDPA tech site itself states that things on that website are NOT official.   Until it makes it into the official IDPA.com and ass'd rule book. The tech does lead the idpa.com a lot but dont' start running matches based on idpa.tech info that isn't official on idpa.com yet. That's how I read this. But I''m just a grunt...

http://www.idpa.tech/idpa-would-like-to-address-some-confusion/

C

On 1/11/2018 at 7:11 PM, WaJim said:

So movement in the classifier that states forward/rearward progression is now optional?

OMG

:FACEPALM:

Based on the way I've seen many IDPA shooters "move" while shooting it was always optional.  Shuffling your feet a tiny amount is NOT really moving but it had become acceptable in IDPA.

2 minutes ago, WaJim said:

So the classifier is now the 5X5 stage only or has that stage replaced Stage 2. 

its an alternative classifier. you can run the "new" one from the 17 rule book ooooorrrrr the 5x5. Each count equally.

20 hours ago, Clint007 said:

The IDPA tech site itself states that things on that website are NOT official.   Until it makes it into the official IDPA.com and ass'd rule book. The tech does lead the idpa.com a lot but dont' start running matches based on idpa.tech info that isn't official on idpa.com yet. That's how I read this. But I''m just a grunt...

http://www.idpa.tech/idpa-would-like-to-address-some-confusion/

C

A Grunt who can understand and comprehend basic English.:D