Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Size

Harmon

I use a 3.5moa slide mounted Docter, brightened up and ruggeized by Grams Engineering. The only time I have a problem is looking into the sun (can you say sunrise at USSA). Dot doesn't leave the glass on the STI Eagle 6.0 with Schuemann Tribrid barrel. I like to see where on the target the hit will be as opposed to the dot obscuring more of the target area.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a 10 for all of the reasons already stated above. What may be the more important issue is how sharp that dot is. On an Aimpoint the dot is very sharp, not so much on the Cmores I have used so that could be an issue for some. I find that at 50 yds I can reliably hit a plate or an A zone. What more is needed?

+1

10min Aimpoint for me for all the same reasons.

Marty

A-7424

Looks like I might be in the market for a bigger dot size.... I have a really hard time picking up the dot from the draw... The last steel match that I shot over in Jackson, Ms. my times were in the 8 second range, twice as long as my L-10-limited times... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Picking up the dot on the draw has nothing to do with dot size, unless your eyes are so bad that you literally can't see the dot that you've got clearly. Its a matter of consistency of grip and draw stroke. ;)

I played around with dot sizes last year, going to a 12 for most of the season. I'm back on an 8, at this point. Man, does that thing look dim ... The 12 is actually pretty easy to shoot precisely with - its much like using a wide front sight. The issue I've had with it is that its almost too visible - it seems to always be on target, so I end up spraying instead of shooting precisely. Some weird mental trick. I know others that use that dot effectively... For me, it seems to take more effort to shoot it precisely than does the 8, so... I still find the 6 or smaller to be too dim in bright sun conditions...

Picking up the dot on the draw has nothing to do with dot size, unless your eyes are so bad that you literally can't see the dot that you've got clearly. Its a matter of consistency of grip and draw stroke. ;)

+1

Shooters that I see that have trouble finding the dot, they just don't present the gun properly for success. Sure, a smaller dot is harder to find/see, but its shooter issue more often than not.

That...and the minority that have a bad battery or haven't cleaned the dot projector module on their C-more.

Yep, finding the dot is all about the draw. I learned that real fast. Seeing is more about size, good battery, clean lens, etc. Last year at A5 when the sun finally came out in the afternoon I shot my last few stages into the sun and my 6 dot just wasn't there. Well, it was but I really had to look hard for it. I later got an 8 and shooting into the morning sun was better so I'd like to try a 12 for that. I had one coming to me but the package got lost in shipping. :(

matt2ace,

I've merged your question into an existing thread, as we've had a number of "what size dot" threads over the years. good info to be found with a search.

- Admin

Thanks Flex....I new about the other threads, but could not find it on my initial search. I was wondering where my thread went.

On topic.....

Since our sport is so visually oriented, the choice of dot size has as much to do with how we each process the visual inputs as it does with the quality of each individuals vision. Very good vision does not always mean a smaller dot works better because the visual inputs are not processed as quickly. A larger dot may allow for faster processing of the visual input. Someone with poorer vision may not want a larger dot because they can see and process what is neeeded to call the shot very quickly with a small dot.

I also agree that dot acquisition on the draw is a very key piece of the problem that drives some people to larger dot sizes. My times on first shot improved significantly when I improved my draw through coaching (thanks Randy) and practice. It was never the dot size, that limited me, it was dot acquisition that held me back.

Another link between the physical and mental aspects of the game.

Edited by matt2ace

Been using a 12moa dot and really like it. I have no concerns as far as accuracy is concerned, as a matter of fact the 40 yard standards at the Nationals were my best stage. I may try a 8 in my backup gun to see if what XRE says about shooting loose points with the 12 is true, but for now 12 is just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I gather that C-more made a 10moa dot in the past and that it's no longer available....is this true?

They certainly don't list them now, but figured someone out there might have one laying around. For really short distance, smoke and move matches I'd think this might be an advantage. Heck, have one gun setup with one dot and the other a smaller/larger dot and switch depending on the venue. Some matches, like DTC, don't have long shots which is what made me think of this. R<

Ha! Bart, I just sent you my PM before reading this. I guess I should get a job on the psychic hotline!

No option for my choice on the poll. 7moa. I never went to a 12moa but every other size dot I tried I still would have times when I could not see the dot even when it was on the lens. I have crappy eyes and live in the valley of he sun so glare can be an issue. I went to an Aimpoint and as many times as I tried to go back to the C-more it still was the C-less for me. With the Aimpoint the dot is always there.

Bummer is Aimpoint has discontinued their 7moa. :angry:

edited because I can't spell

Edited by Neomet

• 1 year later...

[Merged topic. - Moderator]

So many optics, so many reticle sizes. I'm looking to buy a C-more STS, but there are 2 reticle sizes, 3.5 and 7MOA. This will be used on my STI (mounted on a mount, not slide). Which size do I get? or more importantly, what is the difference between the 2 options?

Edited by Flexmoney

The 3.5 will be more precise on longer shots, but the 7 moa will be twice the size and easier to pick up with your eyes. gotta decide whether you want to be able to find the dot quickly and give up a little precision at longer ranges, or be very precise but possibly waste a little time finding the dot on transitions, draws, etc.

I have noticed people that use a regular C-more are trending to a 8 moa for steel challenge type matches and 4 moa for uspsa. All my C-mores have 6 moa and I shoot both steel and USPSA (neither too well though, must be the dot size :wacko: )

Hello: I have just switched to a 12MOA dot on my C-More and love it. It has not effected my accuracy at all, infact it has helped since I can find the dot quicker :cheers: You may want to consider a standard C-More so you can find the dot you like best. They are also less expensive. I am using a Quinn II mount and love it. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I am using an 8 and thinking seriously about trying a 12 because at local matches they seldom have a stage with shots more than 15-20 yards.

+1

I shoot an Aimpoint with a 10moa dot and personally would not shoot with a dot smaller than a 7 at the distances we shoot in most matches now.

Marty

A-7424

I use a 4 dot inside at 50' but outside were we shoot pins it washes out. The sun during these matches are at my back. The 8 dots are fine outside but in the rim fire class the tie breaker is a .45 piece of brass and we only got 4 seconds to get the 5 pins and the brass. My question is do you center (through the dot) the impact area while zeroing in or do you "top of the dot" zero in your c-mores. Of course the 8 on center fire and pins only I usually try and zero in in the center of the dot.

One of my guns had miserable ejection problems ( S&W 1911 with the external extractor). Worked on that until the cows came home and would still get a FTF every now and then using the serendipity. I did switch to a weigland to gain some height but I still had problems. Yes I do use range brass. I installed a Quinn II and the added benefit was acquiring the dot so quickly, also no more ftf! :)

• 1 year later...