Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Damn.  I was looking forward to seeing what brass tumbled in clay media looks like.  I imagine it might do some cleaning...before being reduced to dust that leaves a heavy coating on everything. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody has their own recipe, but I run walnut first, loaded with a tablespoon of mineral oil, for cleaning, then corn with a tablespoon of NuFinish for polishing. Comes out shinny and slippery enough so that no case lube is needed. Run the tumblers overnight, and open, because their is no dust with with media additives.

image37648.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Yes, two different tumblers. Because it's an "off-line" operation, sometimes I let it run for a day or two, even though it really only takes a few hours. I usually have 2 five gallon buckets full of ready to load brass. When I'm halfway down the 2nd one, start up the tumbling operation again for a few weeks and then both are full again. About 600 rounds on a turn, about 9,500 rounds in a 5 gallon.

Edited by 9x45

9x45 always has really nice looking brass, maybe the best posted here at BE. And shiny brass is easy to find on the ground. I rum walnut, then corn. Hey 9x45, how much mineral oil with the walnut? Kitty litter and dust are not good. Good media is inexpensive.

Edited by lgh

I use Lizzard bedding. Walmart, cheap always in stock and works well. I put a cap of mineral spirits and a cap of new finish car polish. In a tumbler no dust clean brass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

lgh, just one tablespoon of the additive to the media. Plus it makes it last allot longer. The walnut turns black, and the corn turns green.

Thanks.  Looks like Steve is giving you a run for your money in the best brass category! But hey, that is a funny silver tint on his brass. I've seen that done with Photoshop. Just sayin' ... :)

Mine gets 20-30 minutes in PetCo lizard bedding, a torn up dryer sheet (absorbs dust) and a pinch of Nu Finish. 

Come our clean enough. I’d rather hit it with a very light coat of one shot than wait any longer on the buzzbox to clean things. The fastest method to prep so that 

it glides through the press and the gun? That’s the way I’m going to go.  

Personally, I think guns with beaten and worn-off finishes have much more curb appeal, and see no need for pristine shiny brass.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

LIke this? Cleaning brass is more like doing laundry. Just throw it in, and come back later.... Like the laundry machines, the brass tumblers are out of sight, and out of mind.  Difference is that brass doesn't spoil if you leave it to long.......

image33267.jpg

image31932.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Zilla Sand (lizard bedding) with a capful of nu-finish.  Run for 3 hours in the tumbler

I also lube the cases before reloading, I find it makes my 650 load easier and I get a more consistent OAL.  After loading, back into the tumbler for 15 minutes to remove any residual lube.

On 10/30/2017 at 9:04 AM, Max It said:

Hi Ya,

I found a bag of kitty litter in my reloading room (aka garage). it is finer than the crushed walnut i get at the bird store. would it work as polishing media?

much obliged,

I would save that for car fluid leaks on the garage floor,  I think that would produce a ton of dust and not do a great job.  

I was in a plant that uses really fine corn cob media for oil spills.  It has the fineness of coarse corn meal.  I used it with Nu Finish with spectacular results.  In fact, the tumbler even ran quieter.  It was fine enough, it didn't stick in the primer pocket like corn cob media can.