Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack 40 Major PF

I will be receiving a Atlas Single Stack 40 tomorrow I purchased off the forum and will have an Akai Single Stack 40 hopefully by February and wanted to get some input on what guys are running. I bought some blue bullet 180 gr bullets to start working a load up, I have titegroup right now but plan to switch powders to fill the case more. 

What load are you using to make major pf with a 180 and what springs are you running?

Thanks in advance. 

I shoot the lord's own 45 caliber in SS, but if i were shooting 40 I'd use the same load I use for limited. 180 gr coated bullet with 4.2-4.3 of prima v or prima sv (or a little more of red dot or n320 or any similarly fast powder that takes up half the case or more). Honestly there are a LOT of suitable powders. 

5 hours ago, magpulled said:

N320 or wst and 180 gr projectiles seem to be pretty good. I like wst personally but it’s temp sensitive for some. I’ve never had an issue with it though 

Load wst to 171. PF and never look back

Any of the clean, fast powders will do.   I happen to like Alliant e3 because it is super clean, consistent and has no temperature sensitivity.  I use 3.6 or 3.7gr under a lead or poly coated bullet @ 1.126" OAL for 172PF in my CZ TS.  You will need more if you are going to load long.  Several posters who recently switched to e3 report having to go to 4.2gr when loading to 1.180-1.185 OAL.

In my Atlas 40 1911, I've used 4.2 gr titegroup, over a 180 gr Ibejiheads, at 1.185".

But I've since switched to 4.5 gr VV N320, over same bullet and oal. N320 is just more consistent at various temperatures, while titegroup fluctuates with the temperature.

lord's own 45 caliber in SS...funny

anyways, I use TG 4.6, Zero 180...no complaints.  I have used WST 5.0, Zero 180 bullets....no complaints.     WST is slightly softer than TG but when your in a match, you dont notice it.  Both loads at 1.180

50 minutes ago, kimberacp said:

WST is slightly softer than TG but when your in a match, you dont notice it.

to further elaborate on that idea. I would advise people to reject the idea of seeking a 'soft' load. Instead, seek one that returns the sights as quickly as possible, and settled enough that you can take another accurate shot.

On 10/27/2017 at 2:32 PM, americanbrosinarms said:

I will have to use that next time we did a group buy last time and got 20% off so I stocked up.

I am using 4.5 grains of titegroup and running a 1.190 oal in my Sig Max and also in my Edge for limited. 

On 10/29/2017 at 7:26 AM, ML1911 said:

I am using 4.5 grains of titegroup and running a 1.190 oal in my Sig Max and also in my Edge for limited. 

I might have to try this load and see what it works out like I have 25+ pounds of titegroup laying around right now. Any idea what PF you are at with that load out of the Max?