Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about Carry Optics with Delta Point Pro

CoffeedrinkerinNC

I have been shooting iron sited pistols from the 80’s, shot IDPA, and USPSA in production class. I’m in my late 40’s, I have needed glasses in my mid 20’s for an astigmatism, then last year the eye doc said I needed bifocals. I have a set of glasses with line and the reading Rx on the bottom, and a set with no reading Rx. I tried the no line bifocals and could not stand it. Now I have to decided if I want the front site or target in focus. I have been picking the front site.

After reading about red dots on pistols, that the dot and target can be in the same focal plane. I’m thinking of giving Carry Optics a try. After doing some research it seem that most people are using RMR’s in competitions. But, I have also read that the Delta Points have a larger window which makes the dot easier to pick up, and that the window is not tinted as the RMR. I'm not planning to add back up iron sites, this is going to be a game gun. With the Delta Point having the ability to add the rear site to scope is nice, no need for a rear site milling, just need to add a tall front site. I’m getting really close to pulling the trigger on the Delta Point, and having my G34 Gen 3 milled for it. I have a couple questions. Is anybody on here using a Delta Point? How are they holding up in competition? If I want, after the slide is milled, can I take the optic off and shoot production?

I am using a Delta Point on a 34 MOS and find it very easy to use. A couple of years ago I experimented with. CORE and an RMR sight and found it too difficult to find the dot. No problem with the Leupold. Don’t know if you can shoot Production with your milled slide afterwards. 

Instead of milling your slide, take a look at this option which has received great reviews. 

https://dueckdefense.com/shop/firearms/rbu-sight-base-deltapoint-pro-iron-sight/

• 3 months later...

i have used rmrs, vortex vipers and venoms. I recently switched to a a delta point pro on my co gun. I went from a 6moa to a 2.5 and I feel like the dot is alot clearer and brighter with out making the dot seem larger. I too also have issues with astigmatism. 

I just started shooting co, and went with the dpp2.5.  I looked at all the reviews and talked to quite a few people before making my purchase.  So far I am extremely happy.  Large window makes picking up the dot easy, battery changes on top.  8 brightness settings,  auto on and off, manual on and off, lifetime warranty.  If you look around price point is within or just a little over most of the other dot sights.  In the near future I will have my slide milled for it.

I have slide mounted Burris FF3s, C-More RTS2v4s and DPPs.  They all work.  The oldest has been on my main competition 1911 45 ACP for 6 years and about 40,000 rounds.  I like the lens in the RTS2 the best, but prefer the DPP overall, especially for steel challenge.

On 10/14/2017 at 10:42 PM, RAP said:

I have been using a DPP 7.5 on my CZ P09 I use for carry optics. I have about 6,000 through my CZ since I mounted the DPP. I have not had one problem. I couldn't be happier.

How do you like the triangle shape? Does it distract you at times or Is it unnoticeable? Lastly, do you find it easy to transition to the tip of the triangle for precise shots? Thinking about picking one up for an open gun. Thanks

2 hours ago, lacivilian said:

How do you like the triangle shape? Does it distract you at times or Is it unnoticeable? Lastly, do you find it easy to transition to the tip of the triangle for precise shots? Thinking about picking one up for an open gun. Thanks

I've used the 7.5 delta for 10 years or so. back with the original DP and now with the DPP.

I sight in the point of the triangle at 25yds and everything 0-25 is pretty much inside the delta.

For long precision shots the point is great for me

I use 6-8 moa dots with cmore slide rides on open guns and don't find the delta distracting vs. the dot.

When one of the cmores quits I'll probably go with the DPP with the 7.5 to replace the cmore on the open guns

4 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've used the 7.5 delta for 10 years or so. back with the original DP and now with the DPP.

I sight in the point of the triangle at 25yds and everything 0-25 is pretty much inside the delta.

For long precision shots the point is great for me

I use 6-8 moa dots with cmore slide rides on open guns and don't find the delta distracting vs. the dot.

When one of the cmores quits I'll probably go with the DPP with the 7.5 to replace the cmore on the open guns

This is why I think the 7.5 has an advantage. A 25 yard zero allows for superb precision and the rest of your shots are contained in the triangle at a closer distance. 

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Everyone with the 7.5 triangle whom I’ve let shoot my 2.5 dot-equipped DPP has wanted to switch to the dot.

It’s that much brighter, and that much more precise.

Shooting the 2.5 dot with it at its brightest setting makes it starburst a bit and look bigger, it’s I between a 4 and 6 moa cmore to my eyes. With optic on slide the hold over is less than 2” for really close targets less than 7 yards. Everything else I just hold right on. 

51 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

This is why I think the 7.5 has an advantage. A 25 yard zero allows for superb precision and the rest of your shots are contained in the triangle at a closer distance. 

Not on a 3 yard headbox. With either the 2.5 or triangle you need to know your holdover out to perhaps 5 yards. Beyond that it’s dot = hole goes there, for the most part.

(There’s a laughable difference between how much target a 7.5 MOA vs 2.5 MOA item covers at 7 to10 yards.)

40 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

With optic on slide the hold over is less than 2” for really close targets less than 7 yards. Everything else I just hold right on. 

This. Learning how close you need to be in order to aim at the top of the head (or top of lower A’s perf) is part of shooting any optic-equipped gun.

On 1/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, lacivilian said:
On 10/14/2017 at 10:42 PM, RAP said:

I have been using a DPP 7.5 on my CZ P09 I use for carry optics. I have about 6,000 through my CZ since I mounted the DPP. I have not had one problem. I couldn't be happier.

lacivilian sorry for the late reply, I've been traveling last few days. I like the triangle. I tried the standard dot thinking I would like it better but, I prefer the triangle. Its plenty bright for me and the shape is very easy to pick up even in less than good lighting conditions. I use the triangle point for more precise shots at distance. But I rarely need to do this in USPSA.   MemphisMechanic advice is spot on. When shooting carry optics or an open gun you will need to learn your point of impact at various distances. Also, I need to make a correction in my post you reference. At the time of that post I had just over 8,000 rounds through CZ with the mounted DPP not 6,000 rounds. Now I am over 10,000 rounds and its still running strong. I am very happy with the DPP.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a Deltapoint Pro installed on G34, I have no iron sites on this gun. I spend about 45 minutes Saturday dry firing to be able to index with the dot. While dry firing I found I could shoot with both eyes open, very easily. This morning was my first time live firing with a red dot on a pistol. The hardest thing for me, remembering to keep both eyes open, it's so in grained in me to close my nondominate eye. I sited the DP in at 15 yards, from 3 yards out 25 yards, all the round fall into a 3" circle. Finding the dot under the pressure of a timer is what I need to work on. After siting in and confirming my POI at 3,5,10,15 and 25 yards. I did a bunch of 5x5 drills, a lot of draw and fire one. Final drill, I did a Dot Torture test at 5 yards. I cleared it, next live fire test I will have move it back to 7 yards.

S81VAfih.jpg?1