Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preventing rounds without a primer

I am pretty new to the 650, I have only had mine about 8 weeks. I've a 550b for about 5 years. Anyway, the problem I am having on the 650 is that I often have 1 or 2 rounds at the end of my loading session that don't have a primer. I can feel when I am out of primers and there is no primer going into the case and I usually stop then but somehow I still end up with a couple unprimed rounds at the end. I have to throw them in the re-work bin to be broken down later.

How can I tell when to stop, so I don't end up with these.

1 hour ago, icestud said:

Do you have the low primer alarm? 

Curious as well. Thats the only way to know for me. The one mod I did was put a rubber bushing on the primer follower rod that triggers the alarm when my primers equal cases in the case feed tube. When my alarm goes off I turn off the CF and everything runs dry at the same time.

Are you running out at the end, or during reloading you the primer disc doesn't have a primer in the hole to push in. If you are a piece of 45 brass on the rod, then it sounds like the disc isn't indexing everytime. My 650 started doing that, I took the primer assembly out, took it apart and cleaned it and lubed the disc and pawl that moves the disc with dry lock lube. All the problems stopped. Also make sure your pawl moves easily back and forth but has no up and down play.

That has happened to me a few times, in every instance it was a broken pawl return spring (the spring that pushes the pawl back to the next hole). There was a spare in my parts kit, and when I called Dillon, they sent me a bag full of those springs. Now when I see powder all over the index plate, I look at the spring first.

21 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

I am pretty new to the 650, I have only had mine about 8 weeks. I've a 550b for about 5 years. Anyway, the problem I am having on the 650 is that I often have 1 or 2 rounds at the end of my loading session that don't have a primer. I can feel when I am out of primers and there is no primer going into the case and I usually stop then but somehow I still end up with a couple unprimed rounds at the end. I have to throw them in the re-work bin to be broken down later.

How can I tell when to stop, so I don't end up with these.

I have not seen this on my 650, the problem I run into is an upside down primer.  Does anyone have ideas on how to prevent that?  I will also chime in on the .45 case on top and the primer alarm.  Also, buy a bullet puller, they come in handy.  

Had an upside down primer last time I was loading .45s on my SDB. I'm pretty sure it must have flipped when pouring them in from the pickup tube. I usually feed the primer warning rod through the pickup tube when refilling the machine, to ensure none get stuck there.

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM, cvincent said:

Stick a .45 case on top of the primer rod. Adds a little weight to the rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 I did that day one on my press, so I don't know if it helped but never had a primer problem, I have to go knock on some wood now.

On 9/23/2017 at 1:31 PM, GregInAtl said:

I can feel when I am out of primers and there is no primer going into the case and I usually stop then but somehow I still end up with a couple unprimed rounds at the end.

I’m not sure I’m following here. I’ll simply describe my procedure and see if it helps: 

1. Loading my final 100 rounds. I’m cranking away until the buzzer goes off...

2. The primer tube’s buzzer sounds, and I flip the casefeeder off and pull the rod out of the primer tube. I know I have a dozen or so rounds left to load. 

3. Paying extra attention to the way it feels to seat primers, I finish up the remaining primers in the disk and tube.

4. When I feel the press ka-chunk down onto nothing when the final primer has been used, I dump out the remaining cases in the casefeeder tube and empty the shellplate in stations 1 and 2. The remaining cases in stations 3, 4, and 5 then get bullets and crimped as per usual - you still have to cycle the handle 3 more times.

Helpful?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m not sure I’m following here. I’ll simply describe my procedure and see if it helps: 

1. Loading my final 100 rounds. I’m cranking away until the buzzer goes off...

2. The primer tube’s buzzer sounds, and I flip the casefeeder off and pull the rod out of the primer tube. I know I have a dozen or so rounds left to load. 

3. Paying extra attention to the way it feels to seat primers, I finish up the remaining primers in the disk and tube.

4. When I feel the press ka-chunk down onto nothing when the final primer has been used, I dump out the remaining cases in the casefeeder tube and empty the shellplate in stations 1 and 2. The remaining cases in stations 3, 4, and 5 then get bullets and crimped as per usual - you still have to cycle the handle 3 more times.

Helpful?

Exactly what I do!

I do everything in multiples of 100. I keep my cleaned brass in bullet boxes. I put 3 or 4 One-Shotted boxes in the casefeeder (still learning what the casefeeder will take). Load up a matching number of primer tubes. Load first tube of primers into primer magazine. Pull the load handle six times to load primer tray. After the sixth pull, I turn the casefeeder on so a case will be re-sized with the seventh pull. On MY 650, the eighth pull will insert the first primer into the first case. Yours might be different, I guess. Load away, adding primers when the primer alarm goes off.

I haven't needed to add a weight to the primer following rod. I've never had the slightest problem with that.

So far everything has matched up perfectly. The last primer goes into the last case. I do pay close attention to the feel on the last few rounds, just to make sure.

So no powder dropped into a primer-less case, no powder spilled all over the shell plate.

42 minutes ago, 858 said:

Maybe the OP is stopping at some point and then forgetting to push the handle forward when he starts back up? The case in position 2 does not have a primer then.

Wouldn't go very far because the case in station 1 wouldn't be inserted far enough to enter the sizing die so no powder would be dispensed into the primerless case. Now if the operator pushed the case the rest of the way in with his finger (after the whole stroke came to a very abrupt stop) then powder would be introduced into a bottomless case, but IMO that's an operator error, not a design flaw. :D