Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa/tactical Wrist Watch

Carlos

Just got an e-mail ad from an unreliable company (botach) regarding the perfect watch for IDPA: the 5.11 Tactical watch. What do you guys think? Here is the copy from the ad:

"Precision on the go! Calculate point of impact by inputting critical variables that determine elevation and wind adjustments. Works on all MILDOT, TMOA, SMOA and clicking rifle scopes. Punch in data about the ammunition you are shooting and the conditions you are shooting in and the watch will display the appropriate hold over for a sure hit... It's that simple. This enhances a shooter's confidence to engage targets out to 1,000 meters with "whenever/wherever" portability. Data is easy to enter - even through gloves - with the most critical information arranged for fast change and access. Accuracy on your wrist! Shooting software (developed in partnership with Horus Vision LLC)

Titanium case with uni- directional bezel (60 min countdown)

Water resistant to 100 meters (330 feet)

Easy-read robust watch hands with luminous coating Over-size dot

Includes two watch bands: solid pin connection interchangeable by Allan- key

> Diver-style black P.U.

> Classic black leather

matrix digital readout (back-lit for night view) showing:

> Day, date, month calendar readout

> Second time zone

> Alarm

> Chronograph/stopwatch function 1/100th second, with lap time

> Countdown timer with alarm"

Watch sounds perfect. Again, I recently had a bad experience w/ botach & cannot recommen them but I am sure the tactical watch is available elsewhere. Regards, D.

Why not just tape a laminated 3x5 card with your trajectory and wind dope onto your stock and save yourself hours of button-punching and $198?

Just got an e-mail ad from an unreliable company (botach) regarding the perfect watch for IDPA:  the 5.11 Tactical watch. What do you guys think? Here is the copy from the ad:

"Precision on the go! Calculate point of impact by inputting critical variables that determine elevation and wind adjustments. Works on all MILDOT, TMOA, SMOA  and clicking rifle scopes. Punch in data about the ammunition you are shooting and the conditions you are shooting in and the watch will display the appropriate hold over for a sure hit... It's that simple. This enhances a shooter's confidence to engage targets out to 1,000 meters with "whenever/wherever" portability. Data is easy to enter - even through gloves - with the most critical information arranged for fast change and access. Accuracy on your wrist! Shooting software (developed in partnership with Horus Vision LLC)

Titanium case with uni- directional bezel (60 min countdown)

Water resistant to 100 meters (330 feet)

Easy-read robust watch hands with luminous coating Over-size dot

Includes two watch bands: solid pin connection interchangeable by Allan- key

> Diver-style black P.U.

> Classic black leather

matrix digital readout (back-lit for night view) showing:

> Day, date, month calendar readout

> Second time zone

> Alarm

> Chronograph/stopwatch function 1/100th second, with lap time

> Countdown timer with alarm"

Watch sounds perfect. Again, I recently had a bad experience w/ botach & cannot recommen them but I am sure the tactical watch is available elsewhere.  Regards, D.

I kept waiting for the punchline.......you mean you're serious?!?!?

Thank god it's good to 300 ft. After you HALO in 2 miles out and SCUBA your ass to the shore, you can still make that ever easy 1000yd shot in high winds. "Only one or two guys in the world could make that shot", now you'll be one of them.

I like the pants. There, I said it- "I LIKE 5.11 PANTS!!" I'm thinking about getting another pair for hiking in the fall and spring, and maybe for early season hunting. I like where they've put pockets and how well-built they are to be so lightweight. I do, in fact, even have a vest. CAVEAT: I used to shoot IDPA and I got flak for having a ripped up old cover garment ("them torn out'n pockets'll give yuh an unfar advantage, they will"). I also got it for a better price than anyone has on anything ever before. I do not wear it out of the house. I like being married, and I agree with her on this one. Really.

That said, it's getting harder and harder for me to wear my new favorite pants out in public with. First I see people actually wearing the vest in public. Then I see a guy wearing the pants and a "US Marshals" polo on the Metro, replete with some "tactical" nylon briefcase. Then I hear they've come up with a "tactical blazer." (I own quite a few sportcoats and one or two blazers. I have worn a full-sized 1911 under all of them. They have hidden it very well for many years. My wife likes them, though she considers many of them outdated and strange. They are not tactical. Many of them are twill.) Now a "tactical watch?" I'll stick with my 3x5s, an ink pen and tape, and when I need to know what time it is I'll look at my cell phone, thank you very much. My A2's stock may be covered in stickygoo from loads long past, but at least I can confidently say I didn't pay $200 to be tactical.

I think I'll breath now.

Having ROed a highly skilled team at the ITRC utilizing the Horus Vision ATRAG (or whatever it is called) system on a PDA, I can tell you that it does work in the field. I can also tell you it is way, way too slow.

I'm a fairly diehard dial the elevation, hold the windage guy. Don't anticipate getting the watch.

I like the pants.  There, I said it- "I LIKE 5.11 PANTS!!" I'm thinking about getting another pair for hiking in the fall and spring, and maybe for early season hunting.  I like where they've put pockets and how well-built they are to be so lightweight. 

I think I'll breath now.

I've been wearing 5.11 pants since before I could even climb 5.11 (today, of course I can barely haul myself up a 5.9-- too much time shooting and not climbing, but I digress). Anyway, I agree the tactical fashion-show is getting ridiculous. I feel similarly at the new Cabelas store-- it's got more floor space for camo clothes than all the non-camo clothes combined. Does anybody need that much camo?

You may just be the first person Bill disqualifies for having a "competition-only" watch. or you might just get bumped to EST. (Enhanced Service Timepiece)... And don't even THINK about trying to have your watch stippled.... :P

DanO

Horus Vision does work. It works faster if you put your dope on the stock or scope caps in the morning and just run with those numbers. It is slow if you try to punch up each shot on your PDA as you go.

If someone where to combine the functions of a Kestrel 4000 and have it dump the enviormental data directly into the Horus Vision software and put it on a watch I'd buy it. I could dump two pieces of equipment.

SmittyFL wrote: "I kept waiting for the punchline.......you mean you're serious?!?!?"

No, of course I am not serious. The watch IS real & Botach did spam me about it.

However, I do not wear a watch & afraid I do not own any 5.11 products. My posting about this watch was worth it for the humor in all the replies - especially the "X% More Tactical than Previous Versions!" Puting it in the humor section would have been just too much of a give away.

D.

(pisgarifle - have you been down to shoot a match at Shooters Paradise yet?)