Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011s... STI or RIA Pro

SCRKT

Been shooting competitively for about 6 months now. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but does anyone have any experience with the RIA pros in 40? Are they a good substitute for a penny-pincher or should I just keep saving for an STI Edge?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one of those questions that just depends on whether you want to pay now or  pay more later? I look at big purchases in this manner:  if I ever need or want to sell, how can I best ensure the least amount of loss?  Most of the time the answer will be to spend more now and suffer less later.  The STI Edge is a very popular gun for a reason and should you want or need to sell it will be a much easier transaction. I have not seen many RIA s at the top of the nationals.

Edited by StuckinMS

I agree. I've had Glocks, a Tanfo, and have shot others, but I keep coming back to the 2011's, and the STI Edge in particular. I'm on my third one, a .40 S&W this time, and in my opinion they're the best bang for your buck (pun intended). 

They take some tweaking in the beginning, but once you have your springs adjusted to your load, the guns are accurate and reliable. After a couple of thousand rounds they smooth out and run like a German train schedule. :D

Edited by MikieM

Did exactly what you are talking about.  Shot a Glock 24, for about 6 months, then got a RIA .40 pro.  Made A class in a year with that gun.  Now one of my buddies is shooting it. It is a good way to see if you are "all in" with this sport without breaking the bank.  My gun works well but you will either quit shooting altogether or will end up with a STI or high end custom gun.  Right now your gun is not what is holding you back at all anyway.  Just find one that works everytime and have fun with it. 

I shot my RIA for  a year and then moved up to a custom gun.  Glad I shot the RIA for a year. 

scrkt, if you really want to get into a 2011 right now, buy the RIA.  You will spend well under a grand for it.  Add two more mags and four extended base pads and you are good to go.  As you shoot more, you can tinker with the gun.  You will also find out what you like and dislike.  Later, if you like you can buy a 'better' gun with all the stuff you like on it.  You can always sell the RIA for 2/3 ~ 3/4 of what you paid for it.  Think of it this way.  You shoot the gun for a year and sell it and the four extended mags for $300 less that you paid for it.   That's very inexpensive for a year's worth of experience.

BTW, I am not trying to talk you out of an Edge, or any other gun.  I'm just suggesting that if you want a gun NOW rather than save up for something 'better', the RIA is not a bad place to start.

scrkt, if you really want to get into a 2011 right now, buy the RIA.  You will spend well under a grand for it.  Add two more mags and four extended base pads and you are good to go.  As you shoot more, you can tinker with the gun.  You will also find out what you like and dislike.  Later, if you like you can buy a 'better' gun with all the stuff you like on it.  You can always sell the RIA for 2/3 ~ 3/4 of what you paid for it.  Think of it this way.  You shoot the gun for a year and sell it and the four extended mags for $300 less that you paid for it.   That's very inexpensive for a year's worth of experience.

BTW, I am not trying to talk you out of an Edge, or any other gun.  I'm just suggesting that if you want a gun NOW rather than save up for something 'better', the RIA is not a bad place to start.

Exact same advice I was given recently, consider keeping the RIA for a backup gun if you buy a STI later on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm actually on the same path now, I bought a 9mm RIA for plinking and steel challenge fun but since getting into USPSA I'm considering an upgrade (probably buying a used Edge this week). If I would have gotten the .40 from the start I don't think I would be looking to upgrade as quickly. 

I plan on keeping the 9 and having some fun with it. Slide lightening, hamster fart load and a super light recoil recoil spring and make it my dedicated local steel match gun. 

Worse case scenario you end up with 2 fun guns :D 

I have both the 40 and the 9 mm tactical. I love them because they're heavy as hell where the Edge is a little lighter, for some reason I like it heavy.  I also have big hands so therefore size of the grip really suits me.

I also was well-equipped with Para mags which saved me that hassle.  I am in for less than the cost of a used Edge for both.

IMG_9259.JPG

Edited by dogtired

2011 guns are by far more "tunable " as you called it.  It in comparison to the glock is a lot like going from a datson pickup to a Superduty Lariat.  A completely different arena.  Shoot a 100 rounds out of one and you will be foaming at the mouth until you get one.  Good luck with your purchase.

I can only speak for my Rock Island but other than filing and sanding the sharp edges on the safety and grip safety to allow a comfortable high grip it has ran out of the box. 

I did have an issue with the barrel link breaking at about 3k rounds but it looked like a poorly made part and a $6 link from Wilson Combat fixed that. 

The truth is I will end up with a premium or custom 2011 but don't regret the RI one bit and plan on continuing to shoot it. 

I had a G26 when they first came out and could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. You'll find the 19/2011 to be much easier to shoot accurately.  I'm not a polymer hater, my carry gun is a PPQ and in that role it's pretty close to perfect as far as I'm concerned. 

It really comes down to your budget, if you want to get into a 2011 now get the Rock Island if that's what you can afford. If you continue in USPSA you'll eventually sell it or safe it to upgrade but it won't be a bad start. 

Save your money and get the STI, that is where you will end up going anyway. There clearly is a reason a majority of USPSA pistols are from this company, or based on its frame and slide. I run an Eagle in .45 in L10 and once in awhile Limited, and even the old .45 STI platform has been flawless, including double stack feeding. That speaks volumes.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:08 PM, dogtired said:

I have both the 40 and the 9 mm tactical. I love them because they're heavy as hell where the Edge is a little lighter, for some reason I like it heavy.  I also have big hands so therefore size of the grip really suits me.

I also was well-equipped with Para mags which saved me that hassle.  I am in for less than the cost of a used Edge for both.

IMG_9259.JPG

Hey dogtired, did you trim the grips or the extended slide stop to get the slide stop to fit on the pistol in the top of the photo?

18 hours ago, HCH said:

I'd try a RI. I've been shooting Para for a few years now and have no complaints. I really don't think an S_I gains you as much as people want to think. 

RIA make some solid guns. However, imo, if you're really jonesing for a 2011 or any other specific type of gun for that matter, it probably pays to just save a little longer to get exactly what you're really wanting. Otherwise you may invest money and time into a platform and in 6 months time go out and buy the gun and accompanying rig you've been wanting all along. 

From a more practical stand point, a good quality pistol is all you need to go out and compete. The "gains" you make are going to be from training, not your new gun. 

Also from my perspective, it is practical to look at the financial aspect of getting a competition gun and rig. The RIA will depreciate significantly more if/when you ever decide to sell it. A well made 2011 will depreciate a lot less and if you bought a used one you might break even or make a little money on it. Also most people invest some time, money or both into their RIAs to get them up to their standards. With a tuned (either a Brazos or Dawson or by someone else) or a well made semi custom those details are usually already sorted out for you.

The 2011is equity that you can turn back into basically what you paid for it. The RIA is a nice gun but you'll take a hit when you go back to re sell is the TLDR. Of course these are just my opinions. 

"Also most people invest some time, money or both into their RIAs to get them up to their standards."

That is one of the reasons to buy one, the tinkering.   I may lose 20% on the gun but for a sport where you launch $100's into the berm monthly, is that really an issue?

4 hours ago, dogtired said:

"Also most people invest some time, money or both into their RIAs to get them up to their standards."

That is one of the reasons to buy one, the tinkering.   I may lose 20% on the gun but for a sport where you launch $100's into the berm monthly, is that really an issue?

Seconded. I picked one up (a 1911, not a 2011) because I have no bad feelings about performing Dremel Fu on it, lol.