Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So um, where are all the Federal primers?

jtrump

Was just looking at Powder Valley ... 

Assuming you are looking for small pistol ... they have some "match magnums" for $33/K ...

My local place has been selling the same for $31 and change and have regular 100s every once and a while.

Catch some at Selway Armory once and a while ... they have some now but at a little too expensive for me.

Just keep checking all the online places ... I have been doing OK capturing a sleeve on a pretty regular basis. 

edit: Just checked Midway ... they have them too .. (match magnums). 

Edited by pete627

8 hours ago, pete627 said:

Was just looking at Powder Valley ... 

Assuming you are looking for small pistol ... they have some "match magnums" for $33/K ...

My local place has been selling the same for $31 and change and have regular 100s every once and a while.

Catch some at Selway Armory once and a while ... they have some now but at a little too expensive for me.

Just keep checking all the online places ... I have been doing OK capturing a sleeve on a pretty regular basis. 

edit: Just checked Midway ... they have them too .. (match magnums). 

I saw the magnum on powder valley, but have zero experience loading with anything other than a SPP or LPP,.   I'm not totally sure of the implications, which I know variables exist with SRP and Magnum primers, I just don't know what they are in order to be safe.

2 hours ago, jripper said:

I don't think the magnum primers are going to be as sensitive as the standard primers.  Pretty sure they are harder.

I hear people say that .. but ... I have a 627 (8 shot) S&W revolver (with a 5 1/2 lb trigger pull) that I shoot a lot (ICORE and USPSA) and they have not been a problem. 

I used to use the Federal 100s only (regular small pistol  - non magnums) because of the concerns I was hearing about the sensitivity ... even have a few K left.

When the 100s got harder to find ... and more expensive I did a lot of testing to make sure I could live without them.

The magnum/standard caution might be valid in some cases but I have not seen it with the Federal SPP 100s and 200s ... match or otherwise.

Of course ... that has been my personal experience ... I use them in everything now as there is no mileage in maintaining different sets of small pistol primer tubes.

1 hour ago, pete627 said:

I hear people say that .. but ... I have a 627 (8 shot) S&W revolver (with a 5 1/2 lb trigger pull) that I shoot a lot (ICORE and USPSA) and they have not been a problem. 

I used to use the Federal 100s only (regular small pistol  - non magnums) because of the concerns I was hearing about the sensitivity ... even have a few K left.

When the 100s got harder to find ... and more expensive I did a lot of testing to make sure I could live without them.

The magnum/standard caution might be valid in some cases but I have not seen it with the Federal SPP 100s and 200s ... match or otherwise.

Of course ... that has been my personal experience ... I use them in everything now as there is no mileage in maintaining different sets of small pistol primer tubes.

I used to shoot a lot of IDPA SSR with  lightly sprung, tuned revolvers - about 7 lbs or so - and I too found that my game guns had no problem setting off the magnum and the magnum match Federals. If I needed Federals right now I wouldn't hesitate getting the magnum match primers. Well - $33 a K would give me pause :P

8 hours ago, Roons said:

I got a notification from MidwayUSA that 1000 and 5000 Federal SPP were in stock on 8/28/17 at 3:57pm. They were sold out by 4:50pm when I checked. :(

I got the same thing... I was very very sad.

3 hours ago, Brewski said:

I used to shoot a lot of IDPA SSR with  lightly sprung, tuned revolvers - about 7 lbs or so - and I too found that my game guns had no problem setting off the magnum and the magnum match Federals. If I needed Federals right now I wouldn't hesitate getting the magnum match primers. Well - $33 a K would give me pause :P

Thing is, I'm shooting a glock 34 with  a 2lb trigger.   I can pop winchesters and federal.   But prefer federal because I know I won't have an issue.

Of all the things that have made a come back 22 rimfire ammo, AA2230,TAC,etc rifle powders, all other primers , except Federal Small Pistol Primers. It is a little strange that these have not rebounded yet, like most other reloading products have.

So I guess it is bad that I have 15k of them now? :D My local place gets a case every once in a while and if I call once or twice a week there is generally a box or two left from the case and I can have them set aside for me. (Have enough Federals that I've been trying to sell off a case of Winchesters)

3 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

So I guess it is bad that I have 15k of them now? :D My local place gets a case every once in a while and if I call once or twice a week there is generally a box or two left from the case and I can have them set aside for me. (Have enough Federals that I've been trying to sell off a case of Winchesters)

Your not my favorite person right now, ^_^