Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition between targets. Dryfire.

levellinebrad

I'm a B Class limited shooter and have an an ah ha moment. I was doing some live fire practice this past Sunday with a friend who is getting ready to roll into A class limited. We were just doing some simple transition drills with 5 targets spaced evenly from side to side. He was beating my butt, but his shots sounded so slow. I looked at the splits and transitions and he was running a .22 split and a .25 transition. I was running .15 splits and .63 transitions. Holy Hell batman! what an eye opener that was.

I went back to the range yesterday and tried to improve my transition times by exaggerating my movements and make sure that the gun was moving to the next target during the recoil. I did this about 10 times dry and about 10 times live fire. My splits started at .84 and transitions were around .5. It amazed me that the transitions were already faster and I was actually trying to go slow to make my brain realize that the gun should be moving on the 2nd shot. At the end  of my practice yesterday I was running.13 splits and .23 transitions. .4 seconds x15 targets is an amazing 6.4 seconds on a 32 round course. WOW!!!!

I think I am going to keep doing a deliberate transition in dry fire after the 2nd trigger pull. I'm even simulating recoil which I think will make my brain do the movement during live fire. How are you guys practicing this in dry fire?

I'm B class production and will hopefully reach A at either next month (classifier match and a major match in same month). I had that aha moment a little bit back too. I was watching match video and realized how much time I could gain on transitions. In dryfire, I don't simulate recoil, I just snap the gun as hard as possible to next target. If you don't already, listen to Steve Anderson's podcast, That Shooting Show. I believe speed mode in practice works, but you have to turn that off and shoot subconsciously during a match. Using legs to transition helps quick them too

I think I am going to keep doing a deliberate transition in dry fire after the 2nd trigger pull. I'm even simulating recoil which I think will make my brain do the movement during live fire. How are you guys practicing this in dry fire?

What are you using for a gun? Are you simulating the 2nd trigger pull or does your gun have restrike capability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing imthat has helped me in transitions was from one of max Michels videos.  He says you need to drive the gun to the next target with your knees and legs, NOT with your upper body.  After doing it and practicing I could tell a major difference in my transitions.  

1 hour ago, Balwolley said:

One thing imthat has helped me in transitions was from one of max Michels videos.  He says you need to drive the gun to the next target with your knees and legs, NOT with your upper body.  After doing it and practicing I could tell a major difference in my transitions.  

I'll look for that video.

The transition practice definitely paid off this weekend. I trusted the sights and was moving on recoil through the first few stages. By the end of the match I had started to revert back to my old ways and had to make a conscious effort to remember transitions but all in all, very happy with the results.

Biggest difference for me so far is actually turning my head faster instead of looking through the sights for that extra split second. You turn your head and the gun will go that way. Still developing the memory though to have the gun stop with a good sight picture as my arms swing to the next target. Lots more dryfire needed.

This is one of the things that I am working on as well. When you're watching other shooters run a stage, it's so easy to listen to the sound of the splits. The fastest shooters at my local ranges are not the ones with .11 splits. They're the ones that can minimize transition time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great advice! Thanks for posting. I just started USPSA this year in CO and just made B Class. I REALLY want to hit A class by my one year anniversary in April's matches.

After watching my videos lately and some A class shooters s well, I have noticed the same thing.

On a 3-4 target array, there shots are almost seamless, mine are bang,bang.......bang,bang,,,,,,,,,,bang,bang.

I seem to jerk to each target from a dead stop, snap to next target, stop, snap to next target.

I need to work on that fluid transition.

@Broncman  work on getting you EYES on the way to the next target when the gun is still in recoil.

People who transition slow generally keep the sights in front of their eye and tank-turret to their new target.

Look away from the sights and get your eyes on your next target. The gun will follow all by itself.

(Although you should work to move the gun with your thighs, not your torso, too.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Hmm, I do believe the snap is the result of the arms/gun moving before my eyes focus on the next target.

Also noticed my reloads on the move are happening at the end of the move to next stage, I got to work on Reloading as I start out of a stage.

On 8/29/2017 at 10:15 AM, Balwolley said:

This.  Snap the eyes drive with the legs.  Learning to transition fast also includes learning to call your shots.  If you are calling your shots then you are transitioning as soon as the sights lift on that second shot.  A clean blake drill will sound like just six consecutive shots.  

I also would not simulate any sort of recoil in your dry fire.  Work on calling your shots, snapping your head and driving the gun with your lower body.  In live fire it will just happen, recoil doesn't change anything, you call your shots and transition.    

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 11:15 AM, Balwolley said:

Definitely agree with this. Using your body like a tank turret tends to make us overshoot the next target but if we use our legs and hips to point to the next target it is definitely faster and less possibility to overshoot the target.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this out at the range last weekend and it definitely FELT faster to me as I was driving with my legs. Unfortunately my shot timer's battery decided to die that morning (and dummy me didn't pack a spare), but I appreciate the good advice in this thread. That Max Michel video above was awesome.