Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for suggestions, 9MM minor for a cz shadow 2

jtrump

47 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I load the bayou (and BBI) 135gr coated bullets for my SP01.  OAL is 1.08-1.09 (mixed brass) and powder is either N320 or Prima V, same charge (3.5gr) for both.  

This combo nets ~132-135PF and shoots accurate and clean

Ok could you eloborate on the question at hand?   Is the rim of my cartridge where it should be for the sp01/shadow/shadow2  as per pictures,  or should it be flush with the hood that is fitted to the breach face,   I don't even know what to call it it's so small.

Edited by jtrump

8 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Try an unloaded case and see where that case rim stops.  That is where your loaded case rim should be.  

Sits in the exact same place as the pictures.

Just now, Ken6PPC said:

That tells you that it is as far into the chamber as it is going to go...  

Ok thanks,  New platform and It's a tad different than what I'm familiar with I've only been reloading for a year and only for glock/sti guns.

Loaded some 147g plated RN @ 1.08  with 3.2g TG  win brass, plunk test good, spins really smooth

loaded some Bayou 135g RN @ 1.11 with 3.4g TG win brass,  plunk test was weird...  some rounds mic'd identical all the way around at like 1.114 yet seemed to want to catch the rifling, while others the EXACT same OAL spun super free like the plated bullets.   I don't know if that would warrant me to load them slightly shorter and say keep the 135's at 1.08 as well.

Going to throw some through the chrono tomorrow, will report with results.

On 8/19/2017 at 2:29 PM, rowdyb said:

147 plated, 3.20 titegroup. mixed brass. Win spp. that's my go-to load for my shadow 2. my oal for my current bullet profile is 1.080"

what i have heard from a lot of people is that their shadow 2 is a faster barrel over the chrono than in their sp01 shadows.

Well I loaded some 147's rn to 1.084-1.087ish  3.2G Titegroup win brass,  869.6 Average FPS,  single digit deviation's,  127.8PF    10 shot average

Bayou            135's rn to 1.114-1.117ish  3.4G Titegroup win brass,  994.2 Average FPS,  single digit deviation's,   134.2PF    10 shot average

Factory 115 WWB was running 15-20fps under the suggested 1190FPS over  my chrono. set about 10 feet away.

Grouping, is not what I was looking for,   chrono was closer but I set the target at 15 yards,  for perspective the yellow paper is about 3/4 inch.   I did not adjust tights,  the rear sight appears to be slightly off to the left, by maybe a few thousandths?

picture after the 20 shots,  the plated were further out to the left.   I have no crimp,I'm simply straightening the case flush,  I pulled a bullet to check zero marks, nothing I could see or feel.    Now where do I go from here...ughh

IMG_2419.jpg

Edited by jtrump

Yeah, at 15 yards you should have all rounds touching if you're shooting offhand and a standard deviation in velocity well below 1%. I know several folks have reported 2" groups at 25 yards with their S2 from a Ransom rest and some even better than that. I haven't loaded the Xtreme plated bullets in a while but the one nice thing about them is the profile is good for short chambers. My acceptable and current loads are listed below. Your barrel appears to be a bit slower than mine so the loads I use below might have to be adjusted up. I REALLY like the Blue Bullet 135 grain truncated cone profile. It's almost difficult to load too long for a short chambered gun. I had to load the 147's pretty short below to reliably plunk and spin and despite loading to various power factors, I prefer the faster slide speed of the 135 grain load.  I couldn't get the 147's to cycle the slide how I liked unless I loaded the 147's to 140+ PF. The 115 grain load was about perfect until I ran 600+ rounds in a practice session and realized I was a baby about recoil. I could get 4 shots on a popper from 10 yards before it fell but that load beat my hands up too much to keep loading it. We also have some poppers that are annoyingly heavy set at locals so I tend to not trust 115 grain loads. 

Favorite: Blue Bullets 135 grain Truncated Cone with 3.2 grains Bullseye (or Titegroup) loaded to 1.135" OAL. 130 PF

3 Gun Load: 135 grain TC with 3.4 grains Bullseye loaded to 1.135" OAL. 137 PF

Acceptable: Blue Bullets 147 (150) grain Round Nose with 3.0 grains Bullseye loaded to 1.120" OAL. 130 PF

Acceptable: 147 grain RN with 3.2 grains Bullseye loaded to 1.120" OAL. 135 PF

Acceptable: Blue Bullets 115 (120) grain RN with 4.5 grains Bullseye loaded to 1.125" OAL. 139 PF

Hilarious: 95 grain RN with 2.2 grains Bullseye loaded to 1.115 OAL. 60 PF

Heavier bullets work well wih the Shadow models. 135s or 147s seem by far to be the most popular in coated sizes. Pair them with Titegroup, N320, or now the Alliant Sport Pistol for an easy shooting combo. Others may also work well too but I have not used them.

One thing, the 147s in my OG shadow can only be loaded to 1.120 while the 135s can easily do 1.135 in my guns. Both are Blue Bullets.

Edited by mikeinctown

50 minutes ago, mikeinctown said:

Heavier bullets work well wih the Shadow models. 135s or 147s seem by far to be the most popular in coated sizes. Pair them with Titegroup, N320, or now the Alliant Sport Pistol for an easy shooting combo. Others may also work well too but I have not used them.

One thing, the 147s in my OG shadow can only be loaded to 1.120 while the 135s can easily do 1.135 in my guns. Both are Blue Bullets.

Well I loaded some 147's PLATED rn to 1.084-1.087ish  3.2G Titegroup win brass,  869.6 Average FPS,  single digit deviation's,  127.8PF    10 shot average

Bayou            135's Coated   rn to 1.114-1.117ish  3.4G Titegroup win brass,  994.2 Average FPS,  single digit deviation's,   134.2PF    10 shot average

Factory 115 WWB was running 15-20fps under the suggested 1190FPS over  my chrono. set about 10 feet away.

I haven't tried loading the plated longer, I know OAL can affect accuracy of a round.  Maybe with a longer oal the accuracy would improve in the gun.

On 8/20/2017 at 11:34 AM, rowdyb said:

well some people love coated bullets and i don't like them at all.

and when i say plated i don't mean xtreme.  this is the bullet i use or one from RMR. https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/9-147-fp

or from rmr https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-9mm-355-12/9mm-147-gr-rmr-hardcore-match-round-nose-plated/?v=7516fd43adaa

i do not like cheap bullets. i don't care what someone's budget or numbers show. in my experience they are not consistent in coating, weight, size or accuracy. and take too much finessing at the press. i'd rather shoot less than shoot a projectile that makes me compromise. but that's just me and plenty of people feel very strongly to the contrary.

I have come to the same conclusion recently. I have shot close to 200K of various coated bullets through various guns and they do vary a lot even from the same manufacturer. I switched to Berry's (I prefer 124gr) and I do see the difference

Edited by cheby

On 8/24/2017 at 11:25 AM, cheby said:

I have come to the same conclusion recently. I have shot close to 200K of various coated bullets through various guns and they do vary a lot even from the same manufacturer. I switched to Berry's (I prefer 124gr) and I do see the difference

I've heard good and bad things about Berry's.  I personally have never shot them, but I've heard they are thinner than other plated bullets.  I have no evidence obviously,  but I'm thinking I may just go to a 147g zero JHP and call it good.   Maybe a little more pricey but I've shot them before in .40 and they were great quality.

I found berrys to be more consistent  compared to xtreme. Admittedly, I have not shot those bullets as much as I shot the coated ones. So far, I have shot around 6K of xtreme and 3k of berrys.

Yea I'm not finding consistency with the xrtemes either, and I think I'm doing my part really well reloading.   I tried probably 20 different OAL's, and mixing up the powder a little here or there and the best group I was able to get off them was 2" at 15 yards off a bag,  that's pretty underwhelming in my experience.

Gonna give the 147g zero JHP with 3.2g TG loaded a little longer a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm following this for a little advice as my dad just bought a shadow 2 and I'll likely be loading for it. I have 2000 124gr berry and some left over cfe pistol to burn. Mainly interested in what overall length works for that bullet so I can get a load up quickly for his gun. 

Any advice would be welcome, I mostly turn out 40 and don't mess with 9mm much

5 hours ago, sstephns said:

what overall length works for that bullet so I can get a load up quickly for his gun. 

Best if you can borrow his barrel and run  The Plunk Test  with those bullets, before

you load them up for him.

Try different OAL's and make sure they Plunk (bottom out in the chamber) and

spin/drop freely.   Then, back off OAL a little more for variation    :) 

On 9/4/2017 at 4:30 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Best if you can borrow his barrel and run  The Plunk Test  with those bullets, before

you load them up for him.

Try different OAL's and make sure they Plunk (bottom out in the chamber) and

spin/drop freely.   Then, back off OAL a little more for variation    :) 

Easier said than done when he's a two states away. Fortunately I'll see him soon and can do that, but yea I agree it's best to plunk them

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2017 at 8:34 PM, rowdyb said:

well some people love coated bullets and i don't like them at all.

and when i say plated i don't mean xtreme.  this is the bullet i use or one from RMR. https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/9-147-fp

or from rmr https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-9mm-355-12/9mm-147-gr-rmr-hardcore-match-round-nose-plated/?v=7516fd43adaa

i do not like cheap bullets. i don't care what someone's budget or numbers show. in my experience they are not consistent in coating, weight, size or accuracy. and take too much finessing at the press. i'd rather shoot less than shoot a projectile that makes me compromise. but that's just me and plenty of people feel very strongly to the contrary.

Rowdy any reason why you choose Berry's FP instead of RN? I do have access to RN Berry's but FP is a problem in Europe. Now using Frontier 147 plated b.t.w. with 3,3 gn VVN320.

I chose flat point because of the idea that they provide more bearing surface against the lands and grooves. Hopefully more twist engagement equals more accuracy.

Now the bbuutttt...., but I am now shooting up a lot of round nose profile bullets as it makes it easier to load ammo for different makes and types of guns I have in 9mm, rather than a very specific CZ pistol 9mm load.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:07 AM, rowdyb said:

I chose flat point because of the idea that they provide more bearing surface against the lands and grooves. Hopefully more twist engagement equals more accuracy.

Now the bbuutttt...., but I am now shooting up a lot of round nose profile bullets as it makes it easier to load ammo for different makes and types of guns I have in 9mm, rather than a very specific CZ pistol 9mm load.

Tnx! I stick to the RN ?