Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any love for mag block PCC's ???

I get it that 9mm (or other pistol calibers) specific lowers are cool and work well. But I have had good luck with the Hahn dedicated mag block in the past and am just wondering if anyone else is using this type of set up for your PCC rig.

I just got some goodies that would allow me to "update" my old blocked rig for better PCC use and allow me to keep my current PCC rig for back up.

Just looking for thoughts and comments, pros or cons.

BBB... I use a Macon Armory (KAK has the same block for less) bottom load mag block, that is held in place with a single button head cap screw in my registered SBR lower... the 10" upper is fun to shoot, and sees some use at a run and gun carbine match with tight passage ways...I'm not a fan of the Colt style magazines, and much prefer my Glock NFA lower for PCC....if ATF were a little quicker on getting the tax stamps out, I'd probably SBR my PCC so I could run the 10" upper...

I don't believe I've seen any PCC's in competition that use a magazine block like the Hahn.

The price range on many 9mm PCC lowers is about what you would pay for the Hahn block.  From my view, where the Hahn block shines is if you have a .223/5.56 sbr legal lower receiver, the block give you the option of also shooting 9mm without the cost and hassle of getting an additional lower.

Bill

Hello: I have shot some matches with my Hahn bottom insert. It works very well, so well I actually bought two of them. They are perfect for those that have a SBR lower and want to shoot multiple calibers with the same lower. They do load a little slower for me but still work great. Mine like Metalform magazines since the ASC ones are too tight to fit in the block. Thanks, Eric

So I was a huge opponent to PCC. 

Ive since realized I was a bit off base. 

I have a PCC built on a RRA conversion. It is a great rifle, it has run flawless. I don't think a dedicated lower is compulsory, part of the joy of PCC is starting over. Just shoot and have fun amigo!

I agree that the price of the Hahn block is expensive when compared to a dedicated pistol caliber lower. But I already have the block and am thinking of putting it to use.

I have never had issues with this one and ASC mags. And all my mags are old as I can no longer buy large mags here in CA. So got to use what I have.

25 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

I agree that the price of the Hahn block is expensive when compared to a dedicated pistol caliber lower. But I already have the block and am thinking of putting it to use.

I have never had issues with this one and ASC mags. And all my mags are old as I can no longer buy large mags here in CA. So got to use what I have.

I thought in kali you were "go to jail" limited to 10 rounds?

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

"They" are trying to out law hi-cap (anything larger then 10 rounds) but there was an injunction filed so we are still ok to use them with our "featurless" AR's.....for now.

Here is what a featureless AR looks like here in CA.....my friend and myself shooting a recent local USPSA match...yep...I'm that slow....I have the Colt lower setup and white shirt.

5 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

"They" are trying to out law hi-cap (anything larger then 10 rounds) but there was an injunction filed so we are still ok to use them with our "featurless" AR's.....for now.

Here is what a featureless AR looks like here in CA.....my friend and myself shooting a recent local USPSA match...yep...I'm that slow....I have the Colt lower setup and white shirt.

Nice work amigo. 

wish you luck in the legislative sewer you have to work with there. 

Yep...the laws are so....well....anyways. I am hoping to move out of the state. Not just for the gun laws, but I am self employed and the taxes here are driving me out along with everything else.

And where I am at...Redding....we are fairly conservative here. We have a very pro gun sheriff, it is great area for hunting, fishing, and outdoor activities.

But we are governed by central and southern CA. 

Edited by BigBamBoo

I like and prefer the hahn blocks.  have two, soon to make it three.  spent some serious money on triggers and like the idea that all I have to do is loosen one set screw and don't have to buy another  trigger for a dedicated lower.  plus it's hard to find a colt dedicated lower, which I also prefer

What mags do you use Alvin?

My current PCC rig is based on a QC10 Colt pattern lower so I am set up for that currently. But I have another rig that is setup for "home defense" that I never shoot and thinking of making it into another PCC rig. It is a standard. .223 lower withnthe Hahn block.

22 minutes ago, v1911 said:

Running a Macon Armory mag block myself. Super simple setup and I like the included feed ramp that it has. 

I have been looking at the "big bore" stuff Macon is putting out. Good gear.

Currently running a Hahn block in my rifle lower with a PCC upper I built, with no problems at all.  Had to adjust the Metalform mags, especially the 20rders, to get them to drop free.

I'll build a dedicated Colt lower eventually.

BIGBAMBOO.....I run metalform (Colt) mags in my PCCs.  Don't have nor use Glock mags in anything and really like the Hahn Mag blocks for my PCCs.  $13 per mag on sale....and they always work.  Did buy some Taylor freelance +10 extensions for several of them. 

All my mags are older ASC/C Products. I had to do some trimming on the followers to improve feeding and bolt hold open and after that they have ran 100%.

I am in CA so I am "stuck" with my old mags. Wish I had picked up some Metal Form ones when I had a chance.

I have some TF +10 but the springs in my mags are tired. Ordered some new Wolff extra power springs and hope that fixes the issue.

I do have one mag set up with a Taccom splice. One 32 and one 10 rounder gives me 45 rounds reloadable and it runs perfect.

These PCC rigs are just plain fun. 

I've been using a Spikes Tactical mag block on a PSA Colt style lower for 4 years with no problems.  When I built the PCC, there were no dedicated lowers.  If I were building it today, I would start with a dedicated 9mm lower since they're so cheap.

If you're going the SBR route, you may want to use a mag block so you can use one registered lower with both 9mm & 556 and pay only one $200 ATF fee.

I sometimes run a Rock River mag block--bottom load.  I have had a few problems, but I'm not sure if it was the conversion or the loads I have been using.  Reloading in a converted rifle is more difficult, and if the mag bumps a barricade, or you try to use the mag as a monopod, you will experience feeding problems.  I also own a dedicated Colt stile lower, but have not experienced the doubles, but I have only shot it once or twice resting on the magazine and did not experience problems then.

I ran a top-insert Hahn block in my 10" SBR for many years before USPSA PCC was a thing. It is fun to shoot and pretty reliable, and the Colt mags are a little slicker to fill with ammo using a LULA. I bought numerous PSA/Metalform mags when they were selling for $10.

Unfortunately, I have found that the Colt mags are just not quite as robust and reliable as the Glock mags, with a propensity to spit rounds when dropped and also to occasionally double-feed. Also, reloading is definitely slower and more disaster-prone with Colt mags (important for classifiers). For USPSA PCC division, the Glock system just makes more sense.

As for barrel length, my Glock-mag PCC (a complete Quarter Circle 10 rifle) has a 16" barrel, and frankly I find it EASIER to use than my 10" SBR. Perhaps it is my 3-Gun background, but maneuvering the longer barrel around a course of fire does not seem any slower in the vast majority of stages. Conversely, the longer handguard lets me drive the gun a little faster between targets.

My Colt-mag SBR remains on standby as a backup gun, but nowadays my go-to PCC is the Glock-mag 16" gun.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Well.... just shot my revamped Hahn block PCC in our club's Steel Challenge match today. Ran like a top. Granted no mandatory reloads, but it ran smooth and the Taccom ULW upper, it just swings sooooo nicely. 

I came in first place.....there was only 17 shooters....but for the first time out with that rig, I was pleased.

I have been running a KAK bottom load block for over a year now in my SBR multi cal lower. I run the lower as a SBR for 5.56, 300blk and 9mm. Since I have gotten the block it runs 9mm most of the time. I use a 8.5 in 9mm upper for 3 Gun, Steel Challenge and USPSA. The only issues I have had so far is one bad metalform mag out of the 10 I have. It would not feed consistently so I used it for the bottom end on a taccom spliced 66 rd mag.  I use a press on 3d printed mag funnel that bmiller makes and have no issues getting fast reloads now.