Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old School Open Gun - What did I get?

busdriver02

So I was wondering through one of the local gun shops, and found this thing with a 25% of tag on it.  According to the guys at the counter, this was part of an estate sale that included some more old open guns.  There was another one behind the counter, but the slide wouldn't travel back enough to lock back and felt like the recoil spring was installed incorrectly, but they wouldn't let me take it apart to check.  So I grabbed this one.

I can only find one reference to the WG prefix on the serial number which seems to indicate it's an old smith kit frame.  Which would make sense given the Propoint.  It's a Canadian frame.

The slide is serrated on top, with the serrations carrying over the comp.  The grip safety is very nicely blended and looks to have been pinned at one point.

The barrel is a Nowlin Super 38.  The comp appears to be a threaded on cone type.

The slide has a little play in it, but still shot very accurately with store bought ammo.

The scope worked but had a bunch of spots in it, which that turned out to be a lot of grime that cleaned off.  The mount has Dawson's arrow thing on it, so I assume it's a Dawson mount?

So is there any way to know anything concrete about this gun?  Is this actually an old Baer open gun?

5959b2ed58af0_BaerOpenGun1.thumb.jpg.fac16e03ea46d1bb38e1960e07bb7fd9.jpg

5959b2f019db2_BaerOpenGun2.thumb.jpg.55d96727f7b71dde8c2e98ce76d0ffdc.jpg

It could be an old baer gun

one of my shooting buddies had one similar to that

the scope mount is a red buff, they were popular in the early 90, if you decide to replace it, they had to machine off the plunger tube and the mount replaces it.  You'll have to cut off the mount above the plunger tube.

the dust cover on the para is thin compared to a sti, but they did drill and tap those for scope mounts

If you wanted to drill and tap the dust cover you can have a small steel plate silver soldered to the outside of the dust cover.  Then drill and tap through the plate and the dust cover. Makes it thicker and less likely to crack the dust cover where the holes go thorough. I have an old caspian frame done that way people used to do the same thing to paras.

Edited by caspian guy

5 hours ago, drewbeck said:

I don't think it's worth messing with, it's cool on it's own and reason enough to own it in my book.

whats 25% off equate to?  Just curios

That's what I'm thinking, as long as the scope works anyways.  I have open blasters to compete with, this is mostly an interesting collecting type thing.

Roughly $950, 

On the Para frame guns the dust cover is very thin. On my old Para they had to add metal to the frame for the mount. I would just leave it alone unless you plan to use it. 

Edited by Steelix

Wow, that is an old Tasco PDP3 scope. I haven't seen them in almost 25 years. They were king in the early 90's which have then been replaced by the PDP4 (or pop cans as we used to call them), and then the C-More was designed and replaced them all. Great find!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That may be an old EGW gun, built with a Caspian lower. I know Geo used to use that mount a lot back in the day. It acted as a thumb guard also. and you slide stop would have a big dimple drilled so it wouldn't go to slide stop.