Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no love for the full size steel Witness?

I'd like to pick up a cheap 9mm for dabbling in production.  I mainly shoot a CZ TS in Limited, and I'd like the 9 I get to be somewhat similar in its feel.  Tanfos and CZs have a lot in common.  I'm not about to drop a ton of money on something in the Stock line, or a SPO1 or shadow 2. This will mainly be a truck gun but it needs to have a trigger I can tune.

The full size steel frame Witness models can be bought cheap, and it seems to me that you could tune the trigger the same way you can other Tanfo models.  But, they remain very unpopular as far as I can tell.  Someone please inform me as to why.

Lack of cool factor. And less checkering on the grip.

Biggest difference  is the roll pin holding the hammer vs the slip pin.

You can polish them and stick in the same Patriot Defense  goodies and get the same trigger feel.

1 hour ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

I wouldn't tune a truck gun or replace anything other than factory parts. Use it and I can 100% guarantee you you'll get jammed up for swapping parts.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I was kicking around the idea of a BoloTitan Witness Steel for IDPA slumming. Crushing Wilson Combat souls with a $300 pawnshop beater has a certain appeal...

My biggest concern was really the inability to install a FO front sight, but I'd get over that.

1 hour ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

I wouldn't tune a truck gun or replace anything other than factory parts. Use it and I can 100% guarantee you you'll get jammed up for swapping parts.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I was kicking around the idea of a BoloTitan Witness Steel for IDPA slumming. Crushing Wilson Combat souls with a $300 pawnshop beater has a certain appeal...

My biggest concern was really the inability to install a FO front sight, but I'd get over that.

55 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I think he is talking about lawyers not functionality

I think there is an idea rolling around the gun community that if you shoot someone in self defense it has to be with a box stock gun or the prosecutor will crucify you.  I've yet to hear anything anecdotal evidence that any trivial detail about the gun in question has ever come into play in such a case.

2 hours ago, dogtired said:

Really the fixed front sight is the achilles heel.  The rear sight is not great either.  I put a red dot on one to try carry optics.

How did you mount a red dot Dog?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing for CO but can't find any mounts specific to the Witness rear dovetail

3 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Sounds like I would need to figure a front sight dovetail into the price.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Done a few for different folks I shoot with.

Mill old sight off, cut a novak dovetail and you can use any size combo you want.

Rear sight takes some imagination or more mill work for the set up you want

LOL

Should have read the next post, I did Zombywoofs'

Edited by jcc7x7
didn't read all the posts

The Witness steel is a great gun at the price point and has identical guts to the Stock II/III guns, it just doesn't have any good sight options, nice checkering, nor flared mag well.

The magwell potentially could pose a problem. I don't need the checkering though. I wouldn't and couldn't shoot uspsa without a FO front sight, but that can be fixed.

Have you considered a Tristar S 120 or P 120?

I have a P 100 that I really like a lot.

CGW offers a ton of parts to upgrade the pistol.

I polished, replaced sights and springs, and that is it.

Runs like a champ and a very smooth trigger.

I am in to it for a whopping 450 bucks.

0ab80e90fe7e2bb56a252ce751d8263c.jpg52941ca525e2176f838494a77cb5e098.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I see a lot of references to "small frame". I'm ignorant about tanfos- does that mean it will be small in the hand? I'm wanting something that isn't too far from the size of my TS, which is quite large. I figured the witness would be larger for some reason.

Small frame take CZ mags.  Large frame take larger mags similar to your TS.

Answer to Tictacticaltimmies question, I used a 1911 mount for FF3 I found on ebay for $20.  See my post in 'open pistols' called "Po Boy Carry Optics"

Edited by dogtired

5 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I see a lot of references to "small frame". I'm ignorant about tanfos- does that mean it will be small in the hand? I'm wanting something that isn't too far from the size of my TS, which is quite large. I figured the witness would be larger for some reason.

Your TS is a touch wider than any of the Tanfoglios, the Witness steel grip is almost identical in most dimensions to the CZ 75.  Small and large frames vary mostly inside the mag well.  Here's a link to a glossary of terms: 

12 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

Have you considered a Tristar S 120 or P 120?

I have a P 100 that I really like a lot.

CGW offers a ton of parts to upgrade the pistol.

I polished, replaced sights and springs, and that is it.

Runs like a champ and a very smooth trigger.

I am in to it for a whopping 450 bucks.

0ab80e90fe7e2bb56a252ce751d8263c.jpg52941ca525e2176f838494a77cb5e098.jpg

I just purchased a P120 from Buds for 400 shipped. I love the thing! I really like the stock trigger and reset.  Being a beginner, I think I can go really fast with it. And then when I feel I'm better than the gun, I can get some springs to customize it at CGW.  I think I made a good investment with the TriStar P120. Here's some some fun action vids:

I love the look of the Tristar that looks like the Baby Eagle. But, doesn't it have an aluminum frame instead of steel, and how does the grip size compare to the witness full size steel?

There are several different variants in the 120 line up.
The S 120. Steel frame, no rail
P 120 Steel Frame, rail
The T 120 Steel alloy, no rail.
The last one is the lighter one. The others are much heavier. The feel is very similar to a CZ or Tanfo. There are plenty of grip options available as well. I really haven't minded the factory grips so I haven't changed them yet.
The fit and finish of the pistol is far better than you expect at that price point.

47 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

I love the look of the Tristar that looks like the Baby Eagle. But, doesn't it have an aluminum frame instead of steel, and how does the grip size compare to the witness full size steel?

The T-120 does have an aluminum frame vs steel, so it's a few ounces lighter.  They're good guns, the grip is the same size as a Witness, the only downside is the beavertail: it's short and narrow.