Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC LImited help

PhilThor

First post, New Member

I have a new unfired STI DVC Limited in 9mm and need help with decision.

After receiving I noticed the coating rubbing off the top of the barrel and getting more just racking.

I understand tight tolerance is required for accuracy and don't want to change that.

Aldo know a tight gun needs a slight break in...

STI said they would send barrel out to be recoated and they would check fit.

8 weeks without the gun to be returned.  Is it worth it.  I know using this firearm will get marks just from using.

Is this normal? If it is I'll not send it back.   I have a CZ Custom sp01 Shadow for over a year with 0 issues.

STI will only repair as the gun is unfired... I wanted to take out and shoot first to make sure no other issues but after use the free warranty is off the table.

Give me your opinions.

Thanks

Why would the warranty go away once you shoot it?

if its fitted too tightly recoating  the barrel is just going to let it happen again. 

Shooting it will let you:

1, figure out if it has any other issues. 

2, wear in those high spots that are damaging the coating. 

Also it's supposed to be TiN pvd coated which should be super hard and should not wear easily (if at all). I have a 6 year old svi with Schumann barrel that has just small wear at the end of the hood and the barrel foot. 99% is still gold and mirror shiny. 

He doesn't mean warranty, I'm sure the warranty will remain intact, but cosmetic condition is not part of that. From the way the post is written I don't think he expects it to either, just the refinish offer from STI.

I'm fairly surprised STI offered that much, what country are you in? A picture is definitely needed to show how the handling is ruining the barrel finish enough to have fit concerns.

If you can, take it to a gunsmith who is familiar with 1911/2011 guns and have them check to see if the barrel is installed properly, particularly w/regard to link down clearance.  If that's not an option, go to the Schuemann barrels website and use their barrel fitting instructions to check for yourself.  Chances are, it was not installed properly.  If that's the case, they'll have to replace the barrel.  The other alternative is to shoot it as is and send it in for warranty repair when it breaks.

I feel your conundrum. A finish is just a finish and for me as long as it shoots well, and there is no problems with it, its all good. However in saying that, I feel that STI may have mocked up the finishing treatment here if the cracking is on the barrel itself. Without pics, cant really tell. Just to say, my DVC has ran 5000+ rounds and the barrel does not get any markings at all, not a scratch. The only thing is that it lost its gold finish on the ramp. If it is easy for you to send back, and if the cracks are really ugly, I'd send back.

Could just be a finish issue or link down may not be sufficient.  Check for a wee bit of clearance at full link down.

The finish should be extremely durable.

I say shoot it some more and decide.

1 hour ago, GlockGuy1 said:

Man, I keep hearing about DVC issues.  I was thinking of picking up a used one, but all these issues make me nervous.

While mine has had a couple relatively minor issues, I will say you have to keep in mind that not many people start threads to say "Just wanted to let everyone know my DVC worked fine today".

7 minutes ago, CaptainOverkill said:

While mine has had a couple relatively minor issues, I will say you have to keep in mind that not many people start threads to say "Just wanted to let everyone know my DVC worked fine today".

That said, check on the threads regarding the DVC, and see what you think.  

An improperly fit barrel is a pretty significant problem, and not easily fixed.  Even if the gun runs for a period of time, when it does break, it's a major inconvenience, even if they fix it under warranty.  There have been at least two examples of DVCs with this problem posted on this site in the past couple of weeks, so I would guess this is not uncommon.  They are probably a  nice gun for the money if you get one that's set up correctly.  But I wouldn't buy one without seeing it first and checking it over very closely, or at least being able to return it for a full refund if it has problems.

40 minutes ago, PhilThor said:

Followup. STI contacted me, said they would repair all issues, replace barrel and go through the pistol to make sure it runs flawless. 

So glad for good customer service. 

Hope it all goes as good for you as my experience with STI CS. I had some issues with my open DVC and from first email contact to shipping (paid by them) to me receiving my gun back was a total of 3-weeks. All of my issues, even ones that I had fixed myself were repaired/replaced and gun was completely gone thru. All new slide & barrel. Gun runs 100%. 3rd match after repair with no malfunctions. About 600 rounds.

gerritm