Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dryfire question for BOLO tuned triggers - How to keep in SA

hav3n

So yeah. Basically I'm trying to get more serious with my dryfire and find that a lot of the time I let my finger out so far as to have the trigger reset and go into DA mode (glock trigger habits die hard).

I don't have a practice gun yet so dry fire with another gun (without the super tuned BOLO) is no go.

I was thinking about just throwing on the safety and dry fire 'cocked and locked'.

Are there any mechanical things I can do to the gun to help me with this problem?

Thanks.

I say there is nothing you can mechanically do but I'm not as intimate with the inner workings as some others.  I've got ~50 hours dry firing my Stock 2 and still have times where I reset DA. It's just something you have to get used to.

That happened to me early on when I wasn't gripping the gun tight, once I started crushing the wizz out of it, it seemed to let my trigger finger move more freely. Seems counter-intuitive I know, but it works for me

I'd think dry firing with the safety on would mess up the sear or the safety and maybe the sear/hooks?

You basically just have to dry fire and try to no let the trigger reset for the DA pull.  

But like Memphis said, you don't go out far enough and you'll  be building in the habit and may end up short stroking the SA. 

Gotta find that point where you stop just before resetting the DA.  That'll be the best anyways because in live fire you'll end up with the finger off the trigger since it will have reset in SA.  

Clear as mud?

Edited by B_RAD

In a match you aren't using SA reset anyways. If it happens to be a within 15 yards shot on a metric target, just mash twice and move on. If it's longer or on a small steel, you're going to reset during transition or be taking your time. The whole reset thing is bogus unless you're shooting a DAO gun (i do for work and it sucks) and even then I find it faster to blow though reset and just take slack up again. You will get the feel of single action reset by live fire, that's pretty much it. 

I know I've always released triggers well past reset, but well short of where they fully return forward. I never really come off the trigger.

Because the bolo causes the trigger to reset when it stops, all of my previous self-programming has made it very difficult not to trigger freeze when splits drop below around .25, and a .15 is desired if you can make your finger go that fast.

I trigger freeze a lot, failing to fully reset the trigger. That's the best theory I've come up with as to why that is.

My next few live fire sessions are going to be dedicated to fast shooting on close targets.

Lol... Well the last video I saw you post on YouTube of a match, didn't look like you were close to .25 splits.

Bottom line is, single action is easiest to practice while putting lead down range. Otherwise, pull trigger, hold to rear, and rack slide. Then you will feel the reset. .

I too have been short stroking the SA on my Tanfo. 

Never had had an issue on the CZ. The rest is very close to the Tanfo.  I'm guessing it's because the smaller grip caused me to naturally move my trigger finger further out. Idk?  

Anywyas, I also plan on doing some live fire speed shooting practice!

"I wanna go fast"

- Ricky Bobby

2 hours ago, superluckycat said:

I do my speed mode dry firing with the gun cocked and the safety on.  Otherwise I can't work the trigger fast enough without resetting to meet the par time.

I was also a Glock trigger slapper.

Good to know. I guess I'll know I've truly transitioned to the Tanfoglio when I stop resetting the DA in dryfire! I worked on it this morning a little bit and if I actually reset the trigger a couple times and get a feel for the reset right before my drill it goes better.

3 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I too have been short stroking the SA on my Tanfo. 

Never had had an issue on the CZ. The rest is very close to the Tanfo.  I'm guessing it's because the smaller grip caused me to naturally move my trigger finger further out. Idk?  

Anywyas, I also plan on doing some live fire speed shooting practice!

"I wanna go fast"

- Ricky Bobby

You know what?  Assuming you've got tricked out CZs, including a short reset, I think the SA reset on the Tanfo w/ a BOLO is just a touch shorter than - and I mean like nanometers -  your CZs.  And you're still making the adjustment.  I haven't actually measured the exact reset on both my guns, so my remarks are based on feel and visual observation.

Edited by MissionaryMike

1 hour ago, IronArcher said:

I just move the trigger in and out a bit simulation the single action. If it resets, I know I have gone too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This^

i used to dry fire in da mode with a laser module and computer to monitor times and accuracy. Which is fun, helped accuracy and grooved a terrible trigger slap and target centric focus.  sigh. Some good some bad.

Now i da the first shot and mimic sa with the rest. Maybe 1/30 is an accidental da. and i almost never trigger freeze. But my fast Bill drill was 1.90. So I'm no baller!

43 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

You know what?  Assuming you've got tricked out CZs, including a short reset, I think the SA reset on the Tanfo w/ a BOLO is just a touch shorter than - and I mean like nanometers -  your CZs.  And you're still making the adjustment.  I haven't actually measured the exact reset on both my guns, so my remarks are based on feel and visual observation.

I think it's the other way around. 

It it feels like the CZ's have the shorter reset.  My orange seems to have the shortest. 

To me I think it's a hand size in relation to the grip and trigger placement. I'm moving my finger the same distance as I would on the CZ but if the trigger is further forward, then the reset would be further forward, even if it resets only moving 3 mm like the CZ. That 3 mm is further forward.  

Anyways, I plan on dry firing and letting my finger out further just before it goes into DA. I'll eventually learn where that point is and all will be well!

Now, gotta work on reloads with the Tanfo.  I gotta admit, it is a little more difficult than the CZ. I thought everyone was just making that up. 

Edited by B_RAD

My guess is that much of that is needing to adjust. If you never shot a CZ and started out with a Tanfo then switched, some could have the same issues.
Learning it first on the Tanfo, I can't imagine it being any easier... when I shoot a Glock, my reloads are slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I think it's the other way around. 

It it feels like the CZ's have the shorter reset.  My orange seems to have the shortest. 

To me I think it's a hand size in relation to the grip and trigger placement. I'm moving my finger the same distance as I would on the CZ but if the trigger is further forward, then the reset would be further forward, even if it resets only moving 3 mm like the CZ. That 3 mm is further forward.  

Anyways, I plan on dry firing and letting my finger out further just before it goes into DA. I'll eventually learn where that point is and all will be well!

Now, gotta work on reloads with the Tanfo.  I gotta admit, it is a little more difficult than the CZ. I thought everyone was just making that up. 

I get what you're saying.  I still think my ACCU Shadow's reset is shorter by a hair, but maybe what you're describing is the main culprit to short stroking the SA.

4 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

Let's see it.  And by "friend", you don't mean YOU, do you, John?

Oddly enough... no. Not me.  really a friend. Actually two were in a "contest" with another person online and apparently they got a bit silly

I also have the occasional reset to DA in dry fire, but it seems with more and more dry fire those resets to DA get fewer and further between. 

Initially after installing the BOLO/Titan I was also worried about avoiding the reset to DA during dry fire.  I quickly found out that short-stroking the trigger during dry fire to mimick SA leads to short-stroking it during a match and that sucks!

So now in addition to putting the stock trs back in to help push the trigger back to reset that extra little bit, I also don't have that much heart burn when I accidentally go to DA during dry fire. At least I know I'm that much further away from short-stroking it!

When I wanna practice everything but draws I just tie down my hammer to the beaver tail with a straightened out paper clip.  Seems to work well for me and, I'm not for sure but, I don't think it'll hurt the gun.  I think it feels almost the same as SA.