Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Daisy Cub BBgun when I was 8. (still have it and it still works)

Ithica 49, 22lr (single shot lever gun) for my 9th birthday. (Both my kids learned to shoot with this gun) :cheers:

H&R 20g handmedown when I was 10 which was traded the next year for a vintage 870 20g which I still have.

First handgun I bought was a Lamma 9mm, traded that for my first Ruger P85 a few months after that.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After shooting 9mm - 120mm (tank and mortar) and many things in between in the service, getting out and becoming a PO and actually learning how to shoot a handgun, I didn't buy my first firearm until I was 29. Ruger Mk III. Funny thing is, even after all the big hardware, I was so excited to have a gun to call my very own.

• 2 months later...

My dad gave me his Winchester 1890 .22 Short pump action rifle.

It was made in 1895. Really fun rifle to shoot.

Ends up it's now a collectors item.. worth a lot more than the $25 I sold it for when I was 18.

post-6812-037535600 1306637450_thumb.jpg

Mom "signed the paperwork" for an HK USP .40 that I bought - first gun. I distinctly remember the shop owner saying "Don't worry - it won't be your last." Boy was he right. Ended up selling it a couple of years later and don't really regret it by any means, but it will always be the first model I owned.

My first gun was a Sig Sauer 226 9mm DAO with a 12 pound trigger pull. I choose the Sig because it felt great in my hand when we were asked what weapon we wanted at the police academy. Funny thing is we weren't allowed to shoot the weapon before we choose our duty weapon.

Fast forward, I started to dry fire and shoot more often. Dry firing the Sig DAO was great because it would reset itself and I could do multiple trigger pulls without racking the slide. The bad thing about a DAO 12 pound trigger pull is after 100 or so dry fires or even live fire...my trigger finger would get tired and weak.

I did all that I could to get my hand strength up... Tennis Balls squeezes, Captain of Crush, Timed Dumbbell Holds, Heavy Rack Pulls (480 lb) of a Power Rack (I also enjoy powerlifting).

I borrowed a fellow cop's Glock 19, shot it and was instantly a fan. Picking up the slack on the trigger and the squeeze just felt smoother. Also the trigger reset made acquiring the sights and follow-up shots much quicker and easier. I sold my Sig 226 (a fine weapon but just not my cup of tea as a DAO 12 lb trigger pull) and bought a Glock 19 (of course with the mandatory NY 2 trigger spring).

I love the Glock 19 even with the 12 lb pull. I am hopefully picking up a Glock 34 by the end of June. Of course not for duty because we are only allowed the Glock 19, Sig 226 and S&W unsure of model for duty use.

I didn't have any shooters in the family growing up so my first gun purchase wasn't until I turned 21. The HK USP .45 had just come out and I was pretty sure I was going to be an operator if I bought one. Still waiting...

• 4 months later...

I was 7 or 8 when my father gave me an old break-action single shot 16 gage shotgun. I would walk the fields Pheasant hunting with him - tripping on corn stalks and remember jaming the barrel into the mud on more than one occassion. It would be a couple more years before I was allowed to carry a loaded weapon - and I guess that was a good thing. On a side note, I remember taking my firearms saftey class at my Jr. High School - after school. It was only 3 blocks from my house and we just brought our guns to school on class day. This was in Minneapolis around 1972 - how things have changed.

Mine was a 12GA single shot Long Tom when I was 8 or 9. It was given to me by my father and he recieved it from his. My dad also taught me how to reload for it using paper hulls and a Lee hand press just over thirty years ago.

Pat

My parents gave me a Daisy Powerline 880 BB gun when I was 7 or 8 and a 10-22 when I was 11. I decided I needed a shotgun when I was 12 or 13 and my dad agreed to pay for half if I paid the other half. Bought a Remington 870. The next summer I saved the money up and had my Dad buy a S&W 422 for me, then he gave me a Browning BAR in 30-06 either that Christmas or the next for hunting deer. I still have each one. Since those some have come and gone, but I'll never part with the first ones.

Well, I was left a few guns when my father died when I was a kid, but I would say that my first gun was a Marlin m25 Glenfield i shelled out 20 bucks for at a garage sale. It was in pretty nasty shape. It had a broken ejector, no magazine, some rusting all over, stock missing all of the finish and dinged up pretty bad. But luckily i had a pretty darn awesome Godfather that helped me buy parts and refinish it! He would show me what to do and look over my shoulder as I did it myself. I Still have it and i still have a blast shooting it. Sure might not be pretty, but i don't think i could ever bring myself to get rid of it.

We never had guns around the house. My parents weren't anti-gun...I guess they just didn't feel the need for one.

I bought my first gun (a Marlin Model 60) with my first paycheck from teaching. It took me a few more years to buy another. It was an XD, and that's what hooked me on the shooting sports.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first gun from my grandpa when I was nine it was a Stevens lever action single shot .22. I had that until I was about 18 at which time I was in the Army and my dads girlfriend stole it while I was at Ft. Campbell, KY (bi_c_). Needless to say they weren't getting along!

When I was about 11 or 12 I was snooping through my aunts greenhouse, which turned into part storage I found something. It was an old single shot bolt action .410 that was rusted up and really wasn't pretty. My aunt said she didn't want it and I could have it. I showed it to my grandpa and he showed my how to reblue the barrel, sand the stock, etc. and then did the ol test fire behind the tree! At least I still have that one.

After that my grandpa had a black powder pistol kit laying around for years and said if I put it together and finish it, I could have it! So I did, unfortunately, someone offered me $75.00 for it and the rest is history. That was a lot of money for a 12 year old in the mid 80's! Wish I still had it now.

Edited by djeffers

Mossberg single shot 22. That rifle would shoot 1/4 groups all day long at 600 yards. Take sparrows out of the air. Shoot squirrels at a 1/4 mile - through the left eye.

My brother, cousin and a young uncle would but plastic toys soldiers and little plastic dinosaurs - set them up along the creek banks and in gullies and we had many a dire and dangerous situation where the only thing that saved us was our incredible feats of marksmanship with our trusty 22 rifles.....ph34r.gifcool.gif

Kept the gun for 35 years to lose it in a burglary of my home.

Mossberg single shot 22. That rifle would shoot 1/4 groups all day long at 600 yards. Take sparrows out of the air. Shoot squirrels at a 1/4 mile - through the left eye.

My brother, cousin and a young uncle would but plastic toys soldiers and little plastic dinosaurs - set them up along the creek banks and in gullies and we had many a dire and dangerous situation where the only thing that saved us was our incredible feats of marksmanship with our trusty 22 rifles.....ph34r.gifcool.gif

Kept the gun for 35 years to lose it in a burglary of my home.

That sucks!