Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post your case lube recipes

GrumpyOne

Title says it all. If you use a commercial case lube (or other store bought lubricant), please post that as well. 

I use a mix of Lanolin and alcohol in a quart sized spray bottle  (I forget the exact mix ratio). Never had any issues with dead primers or squibs. Spray a couple spritzes in gallon sized ziploc baggy, dump brass in, zip shut and shake. Load almost immediately. 

Before that, I was using a silicone based spray bought from HD or Lowe's. While it worked well, with no squibs, the lanolin seems to be slicker. I believe I was using the Liquid Wrench brand of silicone spray.

7 minutes ago, oteroman said:

Where do you find 99% isopropyl locally?? I see 91% all over I assume 91% would work but take much longer to dry.

You can try your local pharmacy, although I doubt they will have it.  I had to get mine from Amazon.  And I'm a pharmacist who works at a retail pharmacy.  We had none and I couldn't find any cost effective way to order any.  I paid a little over $10 with free shipping for 2-16 oz bottles on Amazon.

13 minutes ago, oteroman said:

Grumpyone curious about the silicone spray you you were using. Why did you switch if it was working well?

The silicone spray seemed to dry more over time. If you sprayed the brass and did not load within a couple of hours, you had to spray again to make it go through the press as easy as if you just sprayed it. With the lanolin, I can spray it and not have to worry about how long it sits.

2 minutes ago, Erick85 said:

You can try your local pharmacy, although I doubt they will have it.  I had to get mine from Amazon.  And I'm a pharmacist who works at a retail pharmacy.  We had none and I couldn't find any cost effective way to order any.  I paid a little over $10 with free shipping for 2-16 oz bottles on Amazon.

Same here. I found one bottle of 99% at a seniors pharmacy and they were shocked I bought it. When I asked about getting more they said I had to order a case since it took them YEARS to finally sell all of the last batch they ordered. lol

Same with lanolin. I tried all the hippie health food shops etc and finally just ordered from Amazon as well.

For $20-$30 you can order enough to make case lube for the rest of your life.

99.9+%, IPA is Reagent grade which helps with dissolving the lanolin into the solution.  91% works but it won't dissolve the lanolin quite as easily.  You can heat the 91% IPA up a little to help, but be careful as it is flammable.  Also, the type of lanolin used (oil, gel, etc.) makes a difference as to how fast it dissolves.   All IPA is hygroscopic and it adsorbs water from the air pretty quickly, so, when not it use it is best to keep the cap on.   Amazon is probably the easiest source for reagent grade IPA.10:1 to 12:1 alcohol:lanolin ratios work well for rifle. 

I have been using One Shot forever. I am down to my last can and was going to try the silicone lube that I use on my mag tubes. I am in the process of trying to declutter my life so a multi-function lube appeals to me.

Later,

Chuck

Found my 99% isopanol(isopropyl alcohol) at  local  Walgreens several months ago.  I bought pure lanolin via Amazon  and mix it 8 parts by volume  solvent(isopyl alcohol  99 or rubbing alcohol  70%) with 1 part lanolin.  The  pure alcohol evaporates faster but my earlier used of 70% essentially rendered same desired lube effects.

I load pistol ammo only.  1).I lay out a bath towel  2.)load it with  cases on their side to keep spray from  getting into interior of cases(very important)  3). give the cases a liberal spray of lube mix  4). shake well to coat the cases all around etc. and  then  dump them into my case feed tray(Dillon 550) and away we go.  The  solvent  evaporates so no ignition  sources please! 

I generally use lube on  everything I run : 9mm, 357Sig, 40, 45 auto and 45 Colt Long.  It makes for EASIER  press operation and should  be better than silicone lube.

In any event my  experience is that the lube  introduces a tarnish on cases cleaned and  shined using  NuShine   in my Corn Cob  or Corn Cob/Walnut media cleaning process.

Chuck

Ok, if I have this straight, this stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/Now-Foods-Liquid-Lanolin-Pure-4-oz/39452919 and this stuff https://www.walmart.com/ip/Humco-Isopropyl-Alcohol-USP-99-16-oz-Pack-of-2/45020297 and a spray bottle , and then somebody is good to go with more than 35 ounces of case lube. As others noted, free shipping. 

Right? 

I think I have been paying about $10.00 per 5 ounces with 1 shot spray cans. 

Good thread.

I like the idea of using an old towel also. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I'm a long time user of One Shot, but planning to change to a lanolin based solution...  I assume most of you are using the liquid form of lanolin?  Do you actually measure out the 10:1 or 12:1 ratio of lanolin to alcohol?

Where do you get the spraying "spritzer" bottles?

Seems like One Shot is more convenient than a lanolin based mixture in the short term - Buy a can and spray the brass...  The lanolin based solution does seem to be a better option for the long run...  and probably cheaper...

3 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm a long time user of One Shot, but planning to change to a lanolin based solution...  I assume most of you are using the liquid form of lanolin?  Do you actually measure out the 10:1 or 12:1 ratio of lanolin to alcohol?

Where do you get the spraying "spritzer" bottles?

Seems like One Shot is more convenient than a lanolin based mixture in the short term - Buy a can and spray the brass...  The lanolin based solution does seem to be a better option for the long run...  and probably cheaper...

Home Depot, Lowe's, Hardware Store or use a empty one from your auto or household cleaning supplies.

No.  Both work really well.   

I use the one shot lightly for pistol and don't worry about removing after loading, and the lanolin based lube like Dillon for rifle and will usually either wipe down with rag or tumble to remove the case lube.  I think others do pretty much the same.  Not a fan of one shot for rifle...lanolin works much better. 

The only benefit to making your own is cost.  I get reagent grade alcohol for next to nothing, and a tub of pure lanolin (enough for years of lube) for less than 20 bucks from amazon.  Dillon case lube (or midway's which is similar) is about 8-10 bucks a bottle.  A bottle will last a long time.  So, making your own is a way to save a little money, and it is easy.

Edited by Bamboo

6 hours ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Is there a down side to using One Shot or Dillon Case Lube that i'm missing, other than cost?

No down side.  I use the One Shot from Hornady more often.   Both work real well.  Dillon seems to be slicker.

I use Ballistol, Spray the inside of a container, bottom and sides, then dump brass into container, shake them around then dump in the hopper. 

After I load I will either just wipe them off with a rag or if I am feeling ambitious I will throw them back in the tumbler for a few minutes.