Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 shot minor rules revo now?

41mag

Tell me its not so.

Hello my old friends (and soon to be new ones). I haven't shot in years but am gearing up (mentally) to get back in to it in 2017. I sent in my renewal app today for USPSA. So of course I came back here to the forum to start catching up on things and have found a ton of new things going on. New divisions and such. 

I have spent the last hour or so reading a thread where a common recurring theme is that a lot of folks are getting out of revo because of the 8 shot revos that are now allowed. Is this true? 

I was just getting out of shooting when they made the 8 shots legal and never watched the evolving results. I know I should go read up on the rules (and I will) but allow me a question or two please. Can the 8 shots shoot major? Is Jerry shooting the 8 shot in USPSA? How many of my shooting friends (you all remember me right?) have switched?

I will say I have thought about gearing up for SS minor and just having fun. 

Are they going to put senior on my new card? :)

Thanks

wow! I guess they do need to put senior on my new card.

So whats the hot setup? Hearthco clips, 38 SC brass?

Has this made it easier to classify at a higher level then with the 6 shots? Sure would knock an average 2.5 seconds off any stage requiring a reload!

I would have to start cutting hammers and bending springs again! :)

I guess I understand why some revo shooters would bail then. If you have to buy a new gun then its easier, faster to get set up in another division. Most people probably already have equipment for another division.

So the classifiers cater to both 6 shot and 8 shot then? Or is 6 shot now harder to classify with then it was?

For those of you that have switched to 8 shots, how do your reloads feel/compare to the 625 45. That gun really swallows up a clip of 230gr rn with out any complaint as to how its presented.

Thanks alecmc

Yep.  Got into revolver a few years back, even went and shot the Nats a couple of times.  Once the rule change happened, Stevie Wonder could see what was coming.  Didn't feel like dropping a bunch more money to play the same game, so I bowed out.

Actually just started shooting USPSA again last month because of the new PCC division.

I guess I understand why some revo shooters would bail then. If you have to buy a new gun then its easier, faster to get set up in another division. Most people probably already have equipment for another division.

So the classifiers cater to both 6 shot and 8 shot then? Or is 6 shot now harder to classify with then it was?

For those of you that have switched to 8 shots, how do your reloads feel/compare to the 625 45. That gun really swallows up a clip of 230gr rn with out any complaint as to how its presented.

Thanks alecmc

Classifiers mostly favor major (6 shot strings on paper with a reload) there are a few that favor 8 bit not many, and those are such a big advantage to minor (skipping reloads) that the score will probably be flagged as being too far above your class.

The reloads on my 625 are easier than my 627 but I'm not going back to the 625 unless I know the match is set up to favor it (not likely)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

When I used to shoot revolver I always liked that the stages weren't set up to favor my 6 shots, or a least I didn't mind, it was just fun trying to game it anyway, knowing that all my fellow revo shooters had to shoot the same course also. 

I think the last time I paid any attention this same scenario was a wash in SS wasnt it? I mean i thought most of the top shooters stayed with major PF and were still winning? Of course if I remember right stages are not supposed to require more then 8 rounds to be shot from the same position? Which would eliminate the standing reload for the major shooter. Not the case for the 6 shot revo shooter.

I actually have a 627 but never spent to much time with it and never got the bugs worked out to the point that I could reload it as fast as my 625.

Now after a long sabbatical from shooting Im faced with a big decision before diving back in. Guess Ill play with the 627 for awhile to see if I like it well enough to stay in revo. But I also might think about single stack.

thanks for getting me back up to speed.

Not sure what I will do. 

Catch up with the folks I used to shoot with and see what they are doing. 

I really like shooting my 625. Not sure I could grow to like another model as well. This will give be a very good reason to work with the 627, see how I like it and how well it works for me. So much for cheap once fired brass. I know you get your brass back easy enough but I like loading up thousands of rounds ahead of time.

To bad the powers to be couldn't figure out a way to change the rules or scoring or both to keep things even so both platforms could still compete equally. 

Hi Bill. Now I know what one off my shooting friends done. Maybe if all the good shooters like you switch over I will stay in revolver :) !

I wonder what it look would like if we allowed 6 shots to shoot minor, but were scored as major.  Would this offset the 2 round difference very much, or too much?

Skip

With 8round arrays being a reality in our sport, the 8round guns will always have an advantage because standing reloads kill your stage time more than minor scoring hurts it. Shooting 6rd minor is not going to be much if any faster than a 6rd major gun, it would just be a more pleasant way to not be competitive.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

It wouldn't take much for USPSA to run some stats on the number of revolver shooters per month before and after the change. Based on my observations it hurt the revolver division quite a bit. But my observations are obviously limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took me a long time to learn to count to 6! Counting to 8 sounds even harder :). I do like the idea of not having as many standing reloads with the 8 shot.

I think I will start shooting my 627 and see if its fun, it probably will be. The next thing I will have to do is research the number of revolver shooters at the match's I like to shoot. I don't like going hundreds of miles to a match and not have enough shooters to even count.

If I find theres just as many or more shooters in revolver at these match's I may stay in. 

Even if you are the only revolver it's  still fun.  My goal was to always beat the autos in my class. 

Range Masters use to say "sorry for all the reloads".  but I could actually reload  faster than a number of the auto shooters.  Start with little goals and as you improve challenge your self some more.

Revolver is fun.  Keep it  up and more people will get into the division with you.

The auto shooters in my class are to good! :) I would have to set my sights a little lower. 

If your beating bottom feeders in the same class as yourself with your revolver sounds like you will be moving up soon, good shooting!

I have no problem just shooting for fun close to home, but to drive long distances, pay large match fees and not have the opportunity to visit the prize table is not my cup of tea. Not saying I would get to the prize table :) but that it should me and my skill set, not the lack of shooters that prevents it.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:20 PM, PatJones said:

A half dozen? How many revo shooters did you have?

Not every match guys, but one's that were good for a handful of matches a year. We had a surge of guys who bought 625's to take revolver up, then the change happened. I think half of them sold them while they could and before they were beat up or too heavily modified, 

Edited by cas

41, Azshooter is right - showing up the bottom feeders is the fun part. I hadn't shot much the last three years because of health reasons but dug out my 686 and shot an IDPA match a few weeks ago. Even though I hadn't shot the gun in almost four years, I still kicked their butts on a couple of stages. Just the looks on their faces when they were beat by an old left handed revolver shooter made my day! 

I was one of the guys looking for a way to get an edge so I had my GP100 converted to 10mm/40 Smith right about the same time the rules changed. (While it might not load as fast as the 625, it's a shooter - besides I had to replace my 646 when it went TU.) The point is I spent a chunk of money converting that gun that I could have spent on a 627/929 if I'd known the rules were going to change. So now I have two six shot guns that aren't competitive anymore in USPSA revolver. Guess what, that isn't going to stop me from shooting and striving to do my best with what I've got. I figure I've got enough to work on to hone my skills. When I get to the point that I think the gun is holding me back, I'll buy an 8-shot and go that route.  Of course, if I found a deal I couldn't pass up on an 8-shot before then, I'd have to take it;)

6 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

From personal experience, the 8 shooter will somehow make its way into your holster

Its already been there, just didn't like it as well as a 625. I may make an effort to adapt though.