Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No consistency.

usmc90

For you guys loading these , have you run into an issue of not being able to get consistent OAL  with them ?  These seem to be all over the place.  .. 650 and Dillon carbide dies .  shell plate and dies tight and still everywhere .  set for 1.15 and getting 1.149 to 1.161"  most staying around 1.154" 

That's not unusual, especially for some bullets where there is variation in the exact shape of the nose from one bullet to another. Even subtle differences to the eye can produce significant variation in OAL when seated. It's usually a function of how the bullet nose shape interacts with the seating stem in the die. 

What bullet are you loading?

Edited by superdude

Most variation in bullet length occurs with variation at the nose.  If you are using a hollow/concave seating stem that seats off the ogive, there will be more variation in OAL than when using a seating stem that seats off the nose, but seating off the ogive will give more consistency in seating depth (how far the bullet's base is seated into the case) and more consistency with how far the bullet is from the rifling lands when fully chambered.   If you are using a stem that seats off the nose, you will have a more consistent OAL, but less consistency in both seating depth and how far of the lands the bullet chambers.  How far the nose of the bullet is from the headstamp has no ballistic effect.  How far the bullet is from the rifling and how deep the bullet is seated into the case do have ballistic effects.  

Assuming you are using the hollow "ogive" stem, I wouldn't worry about it.  That's the stem you should use.

Edited by IDescribe

5 hours ago, usmc90 said:

For you guys loading these , have you run into an issue of not being able to get consistent OAL  with them ?  These seem to be all over the place.  .. 650 and Dillon carbide dies .  shell plate and dies tight and still everywhere .  set for 1.15 and getting 1.149 to 1.161"  most staying around 1.154" 

I expect and get +/- 0.005 worst case on my 650. So if you are set on 1.154 (your estimated approximate average) then I would expect 1.149 to 1.159. This level of consistency is based on sorted head stamps. If I use unsorted brass I get almost double the variation or +/- 0.010.  

Neither of these is troubling. We are talking 5 thousandths of an inch  (or 10 thousandths in the unsorted case). You are lucky to measure within 5 thousandths with cheap calipers. Just the way you place the cartridge in the calipers can cause that much variation, not to mention zero drift in the calipers or how hard you push on the caliper. Your can deform the caliper by that much if you force it.

One thing I have noticed is that immediately after changing the Dillon seating die to new length the resulting aol will "grow" a little over the first few rounds. Maybe that is what you mean by "set at 1.15" and getting 1.154. I always set just under what I really want and check after 20 or so rounds to see what I'm getting. I think this is associated with the insert settling in against the pin and /or the die settling in against the threads.

Edited by Brooke

6 hours ago, BASE772 said:

A Lee bullet seating die really helped with my OAL's over the Dillion.

And when loading the same headstamp brass I get no more than .002/.003  variance.

In my case, several years ago, with moly coated and plated bullets. I found that is because the Lee has a FLAT seating stem so you are actually pushing down flattening the tip. I noted that my SD's and ES were high telling me the case volume was inconsistent, even with sorted cases. I switched to a Redding competition seater which seats off the ogive and purchased a comparator bushing in 9mm to measure off the ogive of my completed rounds. OAL off the ogive went down to +/- 0.001-0.002, measured off the tip was a lot higher in the +/- 0.004-8

You're fine. The numbers you state are well within norm. Not sure why you feel they are all over the place. Your average seems to be within .004 of what you want. Shoot em' up Marine.

New reloader here. I am having the same "issue" as well with 124gr TCG Bayou Bullets. I set my COAL to 1.135 (Only one case on shell-plate). After I set-up the powder hopper, I decided to load 15 rounds. When I measured them, they are between 1.1405 - 1.1500. There is a single one-off at 1.1380

I just ordered a Redding Competition Pro seating die in hopes it helps. I will also make sure all stations (except priming) have a case in them when it arrives and I set COAL again.

Edited by LowBoost

If you are determined to chase close tolerances of OAL...

you need to attend to a lot of details. 

make sure the shell plate is tight. no wobble at all.

next is to make sure you are measuring the same place the press is doing the pressing.

If there is a embossed/ pressed ring on top of your bullet, that where your press is doing it's measuring.

my press gives me very consistent OAL If I use a flat-faced bullet seater ( I get other problems however...)

after that it helps a lot if you use consistent headstamp brass and use the same pace for every pull on the press handle

all that done, you will likely get far fewer rounds plus or minus 4 thous.  :-D but you will get them. 

miranda

OK - So I guess having a mix of range brass headstamp is not helping? I am not in a hurry to start cranking out ammo, so I have enough time to sit down and sort my brass by brand. I will just have to re-adjust (Or at least measure) COAL when I run out of a particular brand.

Edited by LowBoost

well, yes mixed headstamps do not help overall consistency.

If my memory and measurements are accurate... 

my Win headstamps were usually a little short and my S&B were a little long

and both were within a few thou of my target.

part of what the guys are saying is that plus or minus a thou is difficult. so allow for more variation in OAL

here is another way to get to a useful ammo.

my favorite pistol does not like my favorite bullet to be loaded any longer than 1.140

so I load to 1.135 and the ones that are a bit longer are acceptable.

I sort by headstamp because It helps me know when I have problem case  (usually a 380)

and I do not know how I manage to miss the odd 380s in my sorting.

miranda

47 minutes ago, LowBoost said:

OK - So I guess having a mix of range brass headstamp is not helping? I am not in a hurry to start cranking out ammo, so I have enough time to sit down and sort my brass by brand. I will just have to re-adjust (Or at least measure) COAL when I run out of a particular brand.

Everyone in here is telling you to load ammo that varies between 1.130 and 1.142 (for example) and just go shoot.

And shoot. And shoot.

You'll probably find it to be accurate and consistent ammo just like that - mixed brass dumped into the casefeeder and fed to your press with reckless abandon.

I can load you some mixed-brass ammo that has a standard deviation of less than 6 across a chrono, and which will group 2 inches at 25yd and feed 100% reliably. It will have an OAL variation of 1.125-1.138 if you take calipers to it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for the input. Your help is greatly appreciated. I will set my new seating die when it arrives and give it another try with mixed brass.

In the meantime, I will go out to the range and chrono the 15 rounds I loaded.

On 11/2/2016 at 11:10 PM, superdude said:

That's not unusual, especially for some bullets where there is variation in the exact shape of the nose from one bullet to another. Even subtle differences to the eye can produce significant variation in OAL when seated. It's usually a function of how the bullet nose shape interacts with the seating stem in the die. 

What bullet are you loading?

extreme 147RN...mix head stamp