Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left side charger

Anybody running a custom left side charger on an ar 9? I am considering having one installed but since the 9 is not a gas gun I am wondering what issues arise from it? 

If you have a custom left side charger please post pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Or you could build your own. I've got bum elbows so I wanted a charger on the handguard not on the upper. I used the gas tube hole in the upper to run my drill rod through. It does not travel with the bolt and has a spring to return it forward. There is a small bearing that rides in the square channel on top of the handguard which keeps an aluminum block from rubbing the handguard. I removed several divisions between the handguard slots to allow the unit to move. The part that goes around the bbl is steel, everything else is aluminum. It works great.

image.jpeg

On 10/23/2016 at 5:45 PM, bwikel said:

The Gibbz and NFA side charging uppers require a special cam pin that can't be swapped out in a 9mm bcg. I guess you could drill the bcg and permanently attach the cam pin. 

Thats not entirely true. At least with the NFA. The 9mm side charger does not use a special cam pin. Only their AR15 and AR10 side chargers do. The 9mm version will work with almost any bolt for 9mm. Im not familiar with how the Gibbz works.

You are correct the Gibbz and NFA side chargers will work off the fake gas key. The cam pin just keeps the bolt from rotating in an AR15 so since blowbacks don't have a rotating bolt the cam pin is not needed. 

1 hour ago, mpeltier said:

Thats not entirely true. At least with the NFA. The 9mm side charger does not use a special cam pin. Only their AR15 and AR10 side chargers do. The 9mm version will work with almost any bolt for 9mm. Im not familiar with how the Gibbz works.

+1  My NFA upper works fine with my Taccom bolt, just they way they both came from the factory.  No modifications at all.  The side charger works great and you get a functioning LRBHO thrown in for free, for those that want that.

The side charger contacts that flat area in front of the gas block, it does not touch the gas block or alignment dingus that Taccom has in place of a gas block.

Edited by L9X25
On 1/8/2018 at 2:36 PM, Baltimoreed said:

Or you could build your own. I've got bum elbows so I wanted a charger on the handguard not on the upper. I used the gas tube hole in the upper to run my drill rod through. It does not travel with the bolt and has a spring to return it forward. There is a small bearing that rides in the square channel on top of the handguard which keeps an aluminum block from rubbing the handguard. I removed several divisions between the handguard slots to allow the unit to move. The part that goes around the bbl is steel, everything else is aluminum. It works great.

Interesting design concept you developed!  Care to share any additional pics of  this setup?

Here's what it looks like from the top. You can see the aluminum block with the small bearing, drill rod and return spring. The silver aluminum piece is only a shroud around the bbls muzzle which acts as a forward stop. But I could have used the slots in the forarm as a stop.   The piece that wraps around the bbl is steel, the hook is aluminum. The drill rod goes into a modified gas key on the bolt. I have enough rearward movement to eject a live .45 acp round. The Oly wire ejector is mounted in the upper.  I alumahyded the parts black. One of my better ideas.

image.jpeg

Edited by Baltimoreed

The forward charger on the AR.45-MP5 was more complicated due to the rotation of the cocking piece where it locks on the charging tube. I had to use a flat bearing to allow the front part to rotate while the rear stayed aligned with the gas key. The drill rod had to be offset to go through the gas tube hole.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Baltimoreed
On 10/23/2016 at 5:45 PM, bwikel said:

The Gibbz and NFA side charging uppers require a special cam pin that can't be swapped out in a 9mm bcg. I guess you could drill the bcg and permanently attach the cam pin. 

I'm pretty sure the Gibbz website did say that at one point, but after I asked a question on that point it was no longer to be found!  What Gibbz said was this applies to their G4 uppers, but not their G9.

Also QC10 has one based off Gibbz.

NFA makes 2 different side charger uppers. One for 9mm and one for AR15-223. Joe Bobs sells them as Spartan side chargers and they are identical and usually cheaper. My Spartan side charger has been trouble free and is very top notch. I haven’t put a ton of rounds through it yet but all the reviews I’ve read say it will last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been shooting my NFA for a while now and have had no problems, and it looks/feels pretty durable.  All that I did was replace the detent spring with something lighter and that made the function much smoother.  With the factory spring it feels somewhat notchy to start cycling the bolt.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had great luck with the Gibbz with the extended handle and a JP bolt. I did do the silent capture and had to change springs on that to get it to run my reloads reliable but now it shoots great. It is a heavier gun with the EoTech and full barrel. COmpared to my Taccom and Aimpoint micro gun. I enjoy shooting them both and both have their strong and weak points.