Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm and .40 - Large or Small 650 Case Feeder

Poll - You tell me!  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which size case feeder plate for 9mm and .40 on a Dillon XL 650?

• Large Pistol Plate
    • Small Pistol Plate

I am planning to get a case feeder (at last) for my Dillon XL650! I load 9mm and .40, and after some research, I can't figure out which size case feeder to get, the one with the large or small pistol plate. I have found a number of people that claim they were told to get both for my exact situation. (intended calibers of use) I am hoping I can get enough responses of which size case feeder to get and your explanation of how well it works for each caliber, that I can make a confident decision on my purchase.

My previous post started this discussion, but never really got me to a solid answer, people were claiming both work, but I want to know which works best...

Edited by EngineerEli

Hmm... After reading the thread you linked to, I'm unsure as well. I only have small pistol and small rifle case feeder plates, so I can't run upstairs and compare the small and large pistol plates.

I did, however, throw 25 9mm and 25 .40 S&W cases in the case feeder (with the small pistol plate). It spit them all down the tube with no trouble, and at the same rate that it normally does.

I haven't loaded .40 S&W on my 1050 yet, so other than the above little test, I can't tell you from experience.

My vote, based on the above little test: small pistol plate.

Edit: Dang it, you've triggered my OCD... now I'm going to redo the test with just .40 cases, and at both low and high speed settings.

Edited by Phlier

I've used both for both calibers at different times. The small feeds 9mm and 40 reliably. The large works great with the 40's but I get a few upside down 9mm with it. I'm guessing not more than 1 or 2 per hundred cases. 

25 minutes ago, EngineerEli said:

Phlier, I'm the same way! Let us know what conclusion you come to.

Ok, so here's the results.. :)

I put 50 .40 S&W cases (dirty.. bleh.. hate running dirty cases through the case feeder!) and timed how long it took to drop 25 of them on both low and high settings.

Low: 48 seconds

High: 42 seconds

I emptied the case feeder between tests so that the high setting test wouldn't have the advantage of already having cases in the correct position on the feeder plate.

Test then repeated for 9mm:

Low: 27 seconds

High: 25 seconds

So yep, the small case feeder plate doesn't feed .40 S&W as fast as it does 9mm, but it did do so reliably; there wasn't one upside down case, feeder jam, or waterfall. It also fed them as fast as I'd feel comfortable reloading them on my 1050. Plus, I only had 50 cases in the case feeder. I'm sure that if you had a larger number of cases in it, it would feed much faster.

When I start loading .40 S&W on the 1050, I won't be buying the large pistol plate. That'll have to wait until I start loading .44 and .45 on it, which is still a long way off. Totally off topic, but dang... I wish the 1050 caliber conversion kits weren't so damn expensive!

16 hours ago, benos said:

The Small Plate will load both 9 and 40 reliably. 

Thanks Brian! That was what I read on your site when you were still selling Dillon stuff, and though that was the end of it. Recently though I had been hearing about a few people claiming the Large plate worked best when using both. I'm starting to think these few people using the large for both must have had other factors at play that I or they were not aware of. Sounding like the small plate is going to be my best bet.

7 hours ago, EngineerEli said:

Thanks Brian! That was what I read on your site when you were still selling Dillon stuff, and though that was the end of it. Recently though I had been hearing about a few people claiming the Large plate worked best when using both. I'm starting to think these few people using the large for both must have had other factors at play that I or they were not aware of. Sounding like the small plate is going to be my best bet.

Yes, 9mm is definitely iffy with the Large Plate.

Well, I'd say small plate is a given for the 9mm though I have not loaded any 9mms. However, I use a small plate to load .40 S$W. Out of 5,000 or so rounds I loaded since I got the unit a bit ago I had just two upside down cases. I also have a bullet feeder and work at a pace of 4.5-5 minutes per hundred and it keeps up on high setting.

The other night I had *one* .40 case stuck in the feeder with the small plate.  It didn't jam, just refused to drop in the tube.  The plate just kept spinning and spinning, dropping the case back to the bottom..  I probably let it do 6 revolutions before I said screw it and picked it.  I swear it was hypnotizing to just watch it go.. :wub:

Edited by hceuterpe