Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

90 degree Cmore mount suggestions

jripper

Just traded for  a used STI trubore to try out open.  Since I've shot open sights for 16 years in USPSA, and don't plan on giving up production, I think that a 90 degree C more mount will be easier for me to get a accustomed to.  I think it's down to a Cheely setback or a Quinn III.  Looking for suggestions, pros/cons between the 2.  Do either of them allow for decent slide grasp, or am I going to need a slide racker? 

Thanks

Hello: The Cheely setback is the way to go for a 90 degree mount. It moves the weight back more into your hand. It also gets less crap on the lens than the Quinn. If you need the Cheely mount PM me, I have a couple here I would sell. Yes you can still rack the slide with the mount but a racker makes it so much easier. Thanks, Eric

Not familiar with the Quinn mount, but getting a grip on the slide with the Cheely setback mount is very difficult.  I ran an extended zig racker when I was using the Cheely mount.  I've since switched over to micro red dots (Deltapoint Pro/RTS2) and am much happier with the setup. 

The Cheely sets back just a hair more than the Quinn III, but it also sweeps across the slide stop a little lower so depending where your holes are positioned you may have to modify it to get the slide stop out.  I know I've run into that on a few of mine.  These are not my guns, just from Google images, but do you see the one with the Cheely has the holes drilled further forward on the frame:

5667415.jpg

SteelMasterwQuinn2_zps2766b834.jpg

I would imagine your Trubor has the holes in the same place as this Steelmaster, so the Quinn might be a better fit for you.  I suggest having a racker cut with either.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'd rate the cheely over the quinn3/DAA mount.

The cheely does set back a little further which personally I prefer.

The cheely is very easy to access the adjustment screw. the quinn is not bad, but you must remove the thumbrest to access the screws (or mill a slot through it).

I also run a cheely setback with the long (horizontal) brazos zig racker. the racker is very, very close to hitting the mount/scope but it does not touch (checked with some sharpie on the corner).

as the others advised you can still grab the slide with the cheely setback but you have to kind of roll the gun over to the left then grab slide with thumb and forefinger with your hand upside down. it's not quite as bad as it sounds but it's not exactly elegant either. get a racker is the best option. :)

I know nothing about the cheely mount but i have 2 guns with the quinn III.

Pros:

-Thumbrest (and no you dont have to remove thumbrest to adjust c-more).

- offsets the sight and mount which prevents malfunctions from brass hitting mount.

- the c-more lense actually stays much cleaner than the factory sti mount with the blast shield. (Used to have to clean a few times a match until i got the quinn. Now i never clean it).

- gets the dot very close to the slide.

Cons:

- So close to the slide that it rubs the slide sometimes. Both slides of mine have a mark from rubbing on the c-more.

- does make racking the slide a little difficult at 1st but once used to it, it wont bother you.

- the screws that come with quinn 3 are too wide for the 5-40 threads that sti uses on their frames. Plan on having to get different screws.

Just took a Cheely set back 90degree off and put a Regular hort. Mount on. NEver did get used to the sideways scope.

BUT

I started shooting open 4-5 years ago on and off and all my previous guns had the regular mounts, so it's probably me!

Good mount strong, low to bore and screws are accessible.

It for going to be for sale as soon as I get the new mount sighted in and tested etc etc

Buddy has the Quinn and he's very happy with it, think which ever one you get ahold of first will be fine

Still looking at options.  I shot my open gun for the first time from a holster last night.  Didn't have too bad of a time picking up the dot.  I was running just a couple tenths of a second slower than open sights, some of which I believe is due to shooting a heavier gun than I'm used to.  Still weighing options.  I have two C-mores right now, but am also thinking micro dot with the Arrendondo mount.  I have a Burris Fast Fire III, which no one seems to use.  My experience with it is that it's a durable little sight.  And they are cheap enough I could get a back up sight.  Thanks for all the great info!

I put a "*thumb rest [generic]*" thumb rest on my Trubor with a 90 Cheely mount. Didn't see a way to adjust the CMore zero. Took the rest off and found that I could use the Cheely mount as a thumb rest. I'd be interested to see pictures of you guys that can adjust the CMore with a thumb rest in place.

35 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

I put a "*thumb rest [generic]*" thumb rest on my Trubor with a 90 Cheely mount. Didn't see a way to adjust the CMore zero. Took the rest off and found that I could use the Cheely mount as a thumb rest. I'd be interested to see pictures of you guys that can adjust the CMore with a thumb rest in place.

Pretty sure I adjusted mine with a go gun thumb rest. I'll look at it tonight

• 2 weeks later...

My suggestion: don't. Run an upright. There is a reason everyone winning at the top end of this sport isn't running a sideways mount (well, 99% of those winning). Height over bore isn't a big deal at all, the only reason in my mind to run a 90 is ejection issues that absolutely can't be resolved but you refuse to run a gun that doesn't have the issue. It strikes me that the 90 deg mount trend is a result of heavy over-thinking. I went from limited (and having never shot an open gun) to Open Master in 4 months with an upright mount. It takes about 2 weeks of regular dry fire to get used to the difference in sight alignment between a dot and irons. Don't overthink it... people have been running (and winning with) upright C-mores forever.

49 minutes ago, scottrallye said:

My suggestion: don't. Run an upright. There is a reason everyone winning at the top end of this sport isn't running a sideways mount (well, 99% of those winning). 

The reason has nothing to do with any competitive advantage of a upright mount. Rather it is generally because those "winning at the top end" have been doing it a while and the sideways setups are newer than they are. You stick with what you know and they know upright. 

I don't think there is a huge difference between either but I do know that I am more comfortable switching back and forth between iron sights and dot when the dot is close to the same level the irons are. That is why I run a sideways mount.

Edited by ctay

1 hour ago, ctay said:

but I do know that I am more comfortable switching back and forth between iron sights and dot when the dot is close to the same level the irons are. That is why I run a sideways mount.

This is exactly why I run mine as well. It makes the transition a LOT easier. I'm a SS shooter primarily but bought an open gun for those days when I just don't feel like reloading.