Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to move on from the G34?

rogerwilco

Been shooting with and competing a few times with the G34.  Trigger's good, sights are OK, but its just not comfortable for my grip.  Starting to look around to see if I can find something that points more naturally for me and I'm OK moving out of production class if I like what I end up with.  My Sig P220 fits beautifully.  And my BHP points great, as well. Should I start looking at CZs or maybe just try going to 1911s?  I know this is a wide open question and maybe I'm just blaming my tools but if anyone wants to give some advice what I should rent/try in the next few weeks, it would be great.  Thanks.

So fix your grip or harden up. There is nothing that says your grip needs to be comfortable.

Another gun is not going to make you a better shooter. Hard work will.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

You're fishing for validation of a decision that will result in stunting your growth as a shooter.

I'll not oblige you.

There will be a host of perma-c guys along shortly to shout me down and give you what you want.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Buy a little bit of everything.  If you don't like it then sell it and try something else.  When you find the right gun you might know it. Worst/best case you end up with a bunch of guns.

I've done the whole blame my tools for lack of results.  Keep buying and selling stuff.  Somehow I keep ending up with my XDm in my hand.  One of my first competition guns that just keeps on shooting.

If your main concern with the 34 is feeling good in the hand the only thing to do is try and feel as many guns as possible. We can't tell you what will fit you well.  I don't agree with what's above the gun feeling right to you will be good mentally and physically.

I plan on trying quite a few alternatives to the 34. Tried a PPQ tonight and a P320 yesterday.  Have a CZ lined up for tomorrow and an XDm. Also an M&P. Just thought I'd ask some of you what you might have liked.  I know that no one else will know what I like.  And I already said I'm not looking to blame my tools for the quality of my work.  

Came here looking for a little friendly discussion about this and a chance to meet some of the people on the forum and instead I get the angry old man responses from "wtturn". Wow, that was a lot of help.

Next you'll be telling me to get off your lawn.  

Please don't "oblige" me anything with your pretentious comments.

But, hey, you know what?  You win!  This was my first time to the site and to the forum and now it will be my last.  Thanks to those of you trying to be helpful and welcoming but this is obviously not a friendly place to stay.  There are plenty of other places I can go where people will be more civil and helpful to a newcomer.

Goodbye.

I plan on trying quite a few alternatives to the 34. Tried a PPQ tonight and a P320 yesterday.  Have a CZ lined up for tomorrow and an XDm. Also an M&P. Just thought I'd ask some of you what you might have liked.  I know that no one else will know what I like.  And I already said I'm not looking to blame my tools for the quality of my work.  

Came here looking for a little friendly discussion about this and a chance to meet some of the people on the forum and instead I get the angry old man responses from "wtturn". Wow, that was a lot of help.

Next you'll be telling me to get off your lawn.  

Please don't "oblige" me anything with your pretentious comments.

But, hey, you know what?  You win!  This was my first time to the site and to the forum and now it will be my last.  Thanks to those of you trying to be helpful and welcoming but this is obviously not a friendly place to stay.  There are plenty of other places I can go where people will be more civil and helpful to a newcomer.

Goodbye.

There's a reason CZs, Tanfoglios, and G34s dominate the field in Production; if you don't like Glock, try one of the other two, you won't be disappointed.

If you want someone to validate your desire to buy another gun, I'm your huckleberry!  I have dozens of guns, buy 'em, trade 'em, sell 'em, do what puts a smile on your face :)

Edited by kneelingatlas

If OP reads this again:. Find a gun that you like/fits you, and that fits a division.  Stick with that gun and that division.  You can become great with any tool, but having a tool that you appreciate will keep the motivation level higher.  No gun is perfect, some feel better than others, and Taurus is always trash.

2 hours ago, rogerwilco said:

Been shooting with and competing a few times with the G34.  Trigger's good, sights are OK, but its just not comfortable for my grip.  Starting to look around to see if I can find something that points more naturally for me and I'm OK moving out of production class if I like what I end up with.  My Sig P220 fits beautifully.  And my BHP points great, as well. Should I start looking at CZs or maybe just try going to 1911s?  I know this is a wide open question and maybe I'm just blaming my tools but if anyone wants to give some advice what I should rent/try in the next few weeks, it would be great.  Thanks.

Truthfully almost anything will point more naturally than a Glock. You have to learn to shoot Glocks by rolling hands forward etc. They are great guns and you can do a lot of DIY improvements within reason to make them an awesome Production gun. Much cheaper than the steel framed current wonder guns too! I say keep at it. :)

There are a lot more friendly people with good advice than there are angry people who think they state the obvious. The best gun for you is something you like and feel comfortable with or hell in some guys cases it's how fancy the gun looks.

Try diff makes and models to see what feels good. Beware that it may be time consuming to find the unicorn gun that fits you perfect. everyone will give you a biased opinion so take it with a grain of salt but listen to what they have to say. Info and experience is priceless.

G34 still kicks ass, don't care what all the haters think. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Being rude is not helpful. We are here to help each other. If you can't help, than zip it Wtturn. Reread the guidelines.

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.

Only you can figure out what gun/grip works best for you.

Finding one that feels good in your hands and that's one more thing you're ahead on vs. fighting something that holds you back on your journey.

I'm one of those who feels like grabbing a glock is like holding a 2X2 in my hand.  Didn't help, either, that my 40 year old 1911 shot better groups for me, too.

I "journeyed" through several brands/calibers of handguns before buying a CZ and finding a gun that fit my hands well (like my old 1911s) and shot really good groups.

There are places where you can rent guns and range time.  Don't know if there are any near you or not.

I don't own a single "match" gun, or "competition" gun, mine are pretty much standard out of the box pistols.  I have a couple with RMRs on them (boy, that was hard to make myself spend the money on) and that helps my aging eyes but doesn't make the gun more mechanically accurate. 

Good luck with what ever you find/buy.

Being rude is not helpful. We are here to help each other. If you can't help, than zip it Wtturn. Reread the guidelines.

Attitude

There is a difference in rudeness and simply declining to sugarcoat a hard truth.

57 minutes ago, wtturn said:

There is a difference in rudeness and simply declining to sugarcoat a hard truth.

The OP asked about what he should try...not how to fix what he already has.

By your reasoning, you should go out and buy size 6 shoes when you wear a size 12, and just "harden up".

7 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

Attitude

If you think he's out of line or rude tell him in private or lock the thread. Don't be childish and rude yourself by telling him to "zip it".

im not a fan of the guy myself but wow

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If you think he's out of line or rude tell him in private or lock the thread. Don't be childish and rude yourself by telling him to "zip it".

im not a fan of the guy myself but wow

Thank you for your opinion Sir. The difference between my Moderating a post and your post is the personal level. Moderating leaves out the, "im not a fan of the guy myself...." and the, " Don't be childish ...".   Please remember that. My words are just a variation of the " if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all" rule. That's a good one to remember as well. Moderators then refer members to the guidelines to help clarify the point. Please refer to....

Moderation
If in doubt about your post’s content, please "PM" a moderator before posting.
A huge thank you to the volunteers who moderate, organize, and keep the Forum running smoothly!
Please be nice to the moderators. Remember, they volunteer their time to keep the "information avenue" running right to your door

The OP asked about what he should try...not how to fix what he already has.

By your reasoning, you should go out and buy size 6 shoes when you wear a size 12, and just "harden up".

I don't think that analogy is even close, but okay.

I see that speaking plainly and frankly is going to hurt feelings and get me in trouble. I'll try to stick to the feelgoodery and affirmations from now on.