Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Recoil Spring?

eringobragh

As the title states, I'm looking for a good spring weight for a 9mm Glock 17...main use will be IPSC Production/IDPA SSP divisions. Loads are around 125/130 PF...any suggestions on what some of you are using would be great!

The question is how do you want the gun to feel?

Buy an ISMI captured guide rod and try them all.

I switch between a stock spring and a 15 in my G34 Production gun. The 15 is in it now.

A 13 worked after 4 coils were clipped off but I did not like the way it felt.

Buy an ISMI captured guide rod and try them all.

I use the stock polymer guide rod, since in IDPA you can't have a guide rod made of a material different than factory stock. It works.

A 13 worked after 4 coils were clipped off but I did not like the way it felt.

Do you have any idea why it didn't work to start with? I've always had perfect function with my ISMI 13-pounders without any need to clip coils.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw what was happening with Chriss's gun on Sunday. It was the same thing that happened to my gun using a 13lb ISMI spring. The slide would not make it into battery. Neither one of us cliped any coils off, I wonder if that is the trick.

I use factory box stock both for IDPA/IPSC and it works great with a PF of 127.

I also use a shock buffer.

I reload usually with a 124 grs lead bullet and N340 as powder but you should note that in Italy we can't use 9 Luger so we use 9x21.

Regards.

Massimo.

For a Glock pistol, stick with the stock recoil springs. I have tried several brands of ammo, as well as different loads on my Glock 17, and the gun cycles everytime with a stock configuration. The Glock 17 (emphasis on the Glock 17) is a forgiving gun, and is very tolerant to a wide variety of ammo.

A Glock 17 pistol works best when everything is kept as-is. It also saves you money. B)

• 1 month later...

I have used clipped 13s (6 coils) in my 34, and tried a 13 in the 17 I'm shooting now. However, I have gone to the new ISMI 11. I load all my own ammo with mixed range brass (however, most of it is once fired win white box) and zero 147 JHPs. The 2 jams I've had with this set up were both due to bad brass, no fault of the gun.

The 11#, a shock buff, and a tungsten guide rod combo runs the gun very quick and flat in my opinion.

Stock guide rod and 13# ISMI with NO coils cut. Novak full length SS guide rod and a 12# Wolf (fits the guide rod while an ISMI won't). I run these set ups with 2 different G34s. My G34 makes 140 PF with Blazer 115 grainers.

I find it funny that some people run the 13 lbers with no problems and others have issues. I do remember something about some bad springs that came out of Brownells a year or so ago, but ISMI replaced them when they showed up. Custom Glock Racing has a nice spring article on his web site on Spring Wars.

I would replace the 13 lbers with new springs and see how that works. I would also clean the gun and relube lightly and see if that makes any difference.

I would buy two springs a 13# and a 15# and try them both.

Rick

Sorry - one more comment. My smaller in size 12 year old son and my wife also shoot my G34s. With the 13 lbers installed no limp wristing jams occur. If I went over 200#, I would just shoot the stock spring and forget it. If you are 90 # shoot the 11 pound spring and be happy.

Rick

The load consistantly use. runs ca. 131-134 PF in a G34. Have used a Wolff 15 Lb. spring and guide rod in it for over 10 K rounds w/o any problems. However. it does use a 4 Lb. Wolff striker spring. No buff and 124 Berry's......

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13# ISMI minus zero coils works great for me. Tens of thousands of rounds and no problems.

Wolff has a recoil calibration kit (reduced power) that includes 12, 14, and 15 lb recoil springs for the full sized Glocks.

I ordered that along with Wolff's solid steel guide rod. I'm guessing the 14 lb will work as a compromise between a 13 lb and 17 lb stock spring.

Though I am a big advocate of STOCK recoil systems in the Glock, I have been trying a Sprinco in my 34 for two years. It behaved beautifully until about a month ago, when the gun started getting light off-center strikes, not igniting primers. I just yesterday did the test where you point the muzzle at the sky and let the slide down slowly. It is out of battery a very, very small amount, and jumps forward when you dryfire it. I put the stock spring back in, and you cannot force it to stay open. I will probably stay with stock, because stock is reliable, but does anyone know how often you should change the spring in a Sprinco? The gun did move nicely for the two years the Sprinco was in it. BTW, I am not sure of the round count, but less than 3000 for sure.

Though I am a big advocate of STOCK recoil systems in the Glock, I have been trying a Sprinco in my 34 for two years.  It behaved beautifully until about a month ago, when the gun started getting light off-center strikes, not igniting primers.  I just yesterday did the test where you point the muzzle at the sky and let the slide down slowly.  It is out of battery a very, very small amount, and jumps forward when you dryfire it.  I put the stock spring back in, and you cannot force it to stay open.  I will probably stay with stock, because stock is reliable, but does anyone know how often you should change the spring in a Sprinco?  The gun did move nicely for the two years the Sprinco was in it.  BTW, I am not sure of the round count, but less than 3000 for sure.

The Wolff springs carry a lifetime warranty. Check your sprinco warranty, if any.

Look what I just found on their website:

Replacement Recoil Springs are available for all Sprinco Recoil Management Systems that are originally shipped with Recoil Springs. Please call Customer Service for details at 1-800-397-9530.

• 3 months later...
Though I am a big advocate of STOCK recoil systems in the Glock, I have been trying a Sprinco in my 34 for two years.  It behaved beautifully until about a month ago, when the gun started getting light off-center strikes, not igniting primers.  I just yesterday did the test where you point the muzzle at the sky and let the slide down slowly.  It is out of battery a very, very small amount, and jumps forward when you dryfire it.  I put the stock spring back in, and you cannot force it to stay open.  I will probably stay with stock, because stock is reliable, but does anyone know how often you should change the spring in a Sprinco?  The gun did move nicely for the two years the Sprinco was in it.  BTW, I am not sure of the round count, but less than 3000 for sure.

The Wolff springs carry a lifetime warranty. Check your sprinco warranty, if any.

Light off center firing pin strikes on the primer are one cause of KABooms. The round is not fully seated and more that usual hanging out over the feed ramp. If it ever hits hard enough to fire the round it will destroy the trigger group and blow the magazine out.