Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 1911 Max .40

Rolex

Anyone have one? How does it function? Looking at one in .40 for SS division in USPSA-

I have read- old post of 2013- that holsters are an issue- RE: the Sig does not fit the current

holsters approved in the SS rules!

Any help before I buy one is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I had the 45 version and it was a great running pistol. I would think the 40 would be just the same. I still have a Blade Tech holster that fits the Sig Max and other Sig 1911's just fine, if you need one? I would hold one in your hand to see if you like the way it feels. They feel a little different in your hands than a Springfield 1911 which is what I normally shoot. Overall the fit and finish on the Sig is great, timing was perfect and it also has all the upgrades on it already. Crap now I want one again. Thanks, Eric

My shooting buddy got his two weeks ago. Makes me want to shoot SS now. Fit and finish are good, excellent sights, and it ran like a dream at our SS only match. I do not shoot .40, I am a .45 guy, but this one I would order. It is certainly the better pick between it and any STI Trojan IMHO.

Tim Thomas out of Hamilton made a SS style Kydex holster for it, so that is not an issue. If I move to SS, I would grab this one.

Hello: I had the 45 version and it was a great running pistol. I would think the 40 would be just the same. I still have a Blade Tech holster that fits the Sig Max and other Sig 1911's just fine, if you need one? I would hold one in your hand to see if you like the way it feels. They feel a little different in your hands than a Springfield 1911 which is what I normally shoot. Overall the fit and finish on the Sig is great, timing was perfect and it also has all the upgrades on it already. Crap now I want one again. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric

In what way do they feel different? No opportunity to fondle one here.

My shooting buddy got his two weeks ago. Makes me want to shoot SS now. Fit and finish are good, excellent sights, and it ran like a dream at our SS only match. I do not shoot .40, I am a .45 guy, but this one I would order. It is certainly the better pick between it and any STI Trojan IMHO.

Tim Thomas out of Hamilton made a SS style Kydex holster for it, so that is not an issue. If I move to SS, I would grab this one.

Yes-

Hello: The shape of the grip is different than a standard 1911. A little flatter on the front strap with sharper radius on the front strap corners. Kinda Para feeling is the best way I can describe it. The slide shape is a little different also but not bad at all. I think they are the best buy out there right now if you want a 1911 in 40. The hammer,sear and disconnector are all top shelf stuff and so are the Dawson sight and magwell. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hi Eric

In what way do they feel different? No opportunity to fondle one here.

My opinion since I own both the SIG is ever so slightly smaller, by .001 per my measure

Why, specifically, would you choose it over Trojan .40? Cost, features, trigger?? Thanks.

The trigger was very smooth out of the box. I found that whatever the sights were, they were easier to pick up for my old eyes. The frame to slide fit was really good, without any binding or roughness to it.

I'm certainly not trying to knock STI, I run an Eagle in Limited 10, but this SIG has an ergonomic feel that just seems to fit my hand better. The quality seems to indicate a commitment to get SIG into the 1911 game in the competition world.

I personally like the fact the Sig Max is already equipped setup and ready to go for competition. Nothing needed but a set of mags. You can find them for around $1200 or even a little less if you shop.

The Trojan is pretty bare bones and still requires magwell, ambi safety, and a few other parts to match comparably to the Sig. By doing so, you've exceeded the price of the complete Sig by a fairly significant margin.

IMO, best "bang for the buck" "straight from the box to the podium" pistol is the Sig MAX

I'll disclose that yes, I'm sponsored by Sig Sauer. However, I purchased my Max and ran it more than a season before being picked up by Sig. I like the gun so much that if Sig dropped me tomorrow, I'd still be shooting it.

The only downside to the Sig Max for an out of the box USPSA single stack gun is that it is a series 80 gun.

I've seen the firing pin block seize up on one so the gun would not fire.

I've heard of other issues with series 80 firing pin blocks but only seen it personally once.

I feel the same way as Tim about the SIG MAX. Lots of value off the shelf. I was looking at the Trojan but realized all the things I would need to change and was not looking forward to it. After handling the MAX I realized the value of it and went with it. I have been real happy with it and the only thing I did was to put a series 80 spacer in the frame, got a correct BT holster and some mags and started shooting it.

I agree with what TimH says. I have one in 45 I shoot in IDPA CDP. I've not had any issues. Runs like a dream. I use a Blade-Tech 1911 holster that is added some rubber washers to open it up to fit the Sig slide. I think you can also use the BT 2011 holster but I've personally never tried one. Mine has a trigger job to get the pull down to about 3.5lbs and I installed a short trigger bc I have small hands.