Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - When do you start?

MY approach was to get to a certain skill level first and then compete. I didn't want to worry about basic fundamentals...

To make the long story short, you will know when you are ready to compete.

Yeah, that's kinda the approach I'm going for. Get to a certain level of comfort & skills with weapon handling/shooting fundamentals and failure mechanics, then enter a match. Evaluate, rinse, repeat. Finding that initial level of comfort & skills is a blurry line though.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, do you want to compete? Do you feel that you are safe with a handgun? Do you have a sturdy belt, holster and at least 2 mag pouches (or one double)?

Go watch a match. Walk up to the registration table, tell them what you're there to observe and ask if there is a specific squad that you should follow.

Don't worry about performance! Stuff happens and there is no shame is just letting a target go. Heck, it' may save your sanity!

Okay, slight thread drift question here... Any thoughts on the cosst/benefits relationship of using L. A. S. R. Laser Activated Shot Reporter software and/or Next Level Training SIRT training pistols for training for USPSA and IDPA, especially for beginner like me?

I like the LASR software idea and it's relatively inexpensive. A SIRT pistol, otoh, seems both a bit expensive and duplicative wrt to the fact that I already have a S&W M&P 22 for cheap live fire and sight alignment training/practice. But maybe I can find an inexpensive, alternate laser pistol to use with the LASR software.

Or maybe it's just throwing money away at this point....

I have the LASR software but a laser module in my real DA/SA gun. It's fun...but can promote bad habit like target focus vs front sight focus.

On steel challenge, it's a great test of trigger control, sight picture, transitions, etc. In uspsa, you move to various spots....then stand and shoot. Then move and repeat until done. I don't move well yet, stage planning is a work in progress....but I score well because I hit a lot if A zone and typically drop steels pretty quick.

And it teaches you how to perform under time pressure. That beeper.... it's a killer! Plus, if you have a center fire gun you must draw from holster. A fast draw and accurate first shot is important in both sports.

As they say...try it, you may like it.

Edited by johnbu

Dude, do you want to compete? Do you feel that you are safe with a handgun? Do you have a sturdy belt, holster and at least 2 mag pouches (or one double)?

Go watch a match. Walk up to the registration table, tell them what you're there to observe and ask if there is a specific squad that you should follow.

Don't worry about performance! Stuff happens and there is no shame is just letting a target go. Heck, it' may save your sanity!

I went and watched a match this past weekend. I followed 2 groups/squads - 1 probably contained the 4 or 5 best shooters in the entire match. Each had a weapon that probably cost more than my monthly income, maybe more than my quarterly income. The other squad mostly carried weapons at the lower end of the price continuum and were all C/D/unclassified shooters. So I saw both ends of the spectrum in terms of equipment and performance level.

BTW, who said I wanted "sanity"?

I went and watched a match this past weekend. I followed 2 groups/squads - 1 probably contained the 4 or 5 best shooters in the entire match. Each had a weapon that probably cost more than my monthly income, maybe more than my quarterly income. The other squad mostly carried weapons at the lower end of the price continuum and were all C/D/unclassified shooters. So I saw both ends of the spectrum in terms of equipment and performance level.

Just be careful not to equate equipment cost with skill. Those "best" folks could do VERY well with the other squad's equipment, while the other squad wouldn't improve much if they swapped.

It's like golf - until you can outplay your equipment there's not a whole lot of benefit to having it unless you're in a position to be able to start with the best.

You can learn the fundamentals on a lot less... and starting in Limited or Production is a much cheaper way to do that (especially if you watch the classifieds here).

I'd argue that if you've spent more than $1000 on your starting gun and you're not shooting Open, you gun probably isn't your limiting factor.

Not saying you are thinking that way - just a cautionary note.

Edited by mreed911

Just be careful not to equate equipment cost with skill. Those "best" folks could do VERY well with the other squad's equipment, while the other squad wouldn't improve much if they swapped.

It's like golf - until you can outplay your equipment there's not a whole lot of benefit to having it unless you're in a position to be able to start with the best.

You can learn the fundamentals on a lot less... and starting in Limited or Production is a much cheaper way to do that (especially if you watch the classifieds here).

I'd argue that if you've spent more than $1000 on your starting gun and you're not shooting Open, you gun probably isn't your limiting factor.

Not saying you are thinking that way - just a cautionary note.

As far as the "good shooters" I followed, I agree that they could have shot anything well. As a matter of fact, they each told me a bit about "their journeys" from their first competition pistols to their current ones. Where they are now.. well, it's an investment for each of them - the return is better times and more consistency. I envy them but not enough to even think about spending what they've spent. Hell, the ammo costs alone will limit my participation.

I already have the gun I'll be competing with - a real budget piece S&W SD9VE. I may upgrade the trigger, springs and grip tape, possibly repaint the sights but that's the extent of my "competition gun budget" and I'd probably do that even if I wasn't thinking about competing. To save some live-fire practice money, I also have a full size S&W MP 22 - much cheaper to shoot while I go from scratch to "having some conception of what a real sight picture is and a modicum of trigger control".

I don't see myself ever moving out of the Production division. The money's not there now and won't be there any time in the future unless I win the lottery. And the competition stages are the same as for all the other divisions, so I won't be "missing" anything.

Since you mentioned golf, I figure I'll approach USPSA matches the same way. I shot the same course as everyone else, but I'm not acutally competing against anyone else's score. I compete against Par. In the case of USPSA, while I may get a ranking against everyone else, I'll be competing against the "course as set up" at most. Ranking against other people is not my goal. The competition for me will be to shoot better (faster & more accurately) each time with more confidence regardless of the results (since you can't forecast when a mechanical will screw your time and, thus, your ranking on an individual stage or day).

Anyway, today's practice at the range went well. I figure that I'll enter my first match next month, just not sure which one yet. I still have to figure out why I'm shooting left. An instructor at the range commented I might want to adjust my support arm (not hand) after looking at my stance and grip. I may be able to shoot again tomorrow. We'll see,

Edited by drmweaver2

You should begin as soon as you have the needed equipment....gun, holster, mags, mag holder, and belt. Oh yeah, ear and eye protection. Don't worry about honing your skills before you start. If you are competent and safe, the game will show you where you need to improve. You also don't need a super expensive, custom gun. Any quality semi auto which chambers at least a 9mm Luger should work fine.

You should begin as soon as you have the needed equipment....gun, holster, mags, mag holder, and belt. Oh yeah, ear and eye protection. Don't worry about honing your skills before you start.

Much like everyone else is saying, you can go watch a match, but you'll probably be sorry you didn't just go shoot the match.

All you have to do is tell the Match Director that you are new and he will likely pair you up with somebody to help you out. At least that's what happens in MN.

As I said before, I've been to watch a match (this past weekend), seen how it works and plan on waiting until next month to actually enter one. Between now and then, I'll work on basic shooting techniques, my draw and failure drills.

Appreciate the positive thoughts and suggestions though.

If it hasn't been said already, you should get a copy of the rulebook and give it a read.

Dryfire and practice gun handling skills at home, like reloads and draws, will help immensely when you decide to shoot your first match.

I still have to figure out why I'm shooting left.

Always left - or when you are trying to break the shot quickly (read: as soon as the sights are looking good)?

Dry firing could let you see and feel what exactly happens when you are pulling the trigger. Unequal pressures and tensions in your stance and how you hold the pistol could also cause shots going to one side.

This is a good discussion......however the OP wanted to know when to start shooting competitively .....I found the hard part was walking out on the stage the first time......a lot of mental stuff going on........lets get him out there first.............just sayin'.

It's all good. I did make a post above of my own that had an element of thread drift in it about using LASR and SIRT.

But it does seem that some people miss things I have also written, like I will probably enter a match next month. Shrug. It happens.

The responses, for the most part, have been on point and supportive. I appreciate them.

Look to see if your local club does a Intro to action pistol class. I did that at my local club and it was great. We spent about an hour in a classroom and then shot two stages. It was a great way to get used to how a match is run and goes over the basic rules. Now at most clubs they will ask for new shooters and then pair you up with someone to show you the ropes. Just remember these things:

1. Finger off the trigger unless you are engaging targets

2. Don't break the 180 rule.

3. Take your time. No one expects you to set a record pace.

4. Ask questions. Most other shooters will help you out.

5. Have fun. That's why most of us do it.

I've decided, for various reasons, to enter my first match in September. I'm in the Deep South; hopefully it will be at least a couple degrees cooler. There are a number of September matches I can choose from within ~100 miles, so we'll see.

Until then, I'm going to work on basic stuff via dry fire drills, LASR/SIRT training indoors (out of the heat) and some *maybe 2x/week) live fire at my local indoor range. Being on a fixed income, I've made (for me) a significant upfront investment in the LASR/SIRT system and a 22 pistol for most of my indoor range live fire work to try to keep down the monthly/annual costs. As you all know, this is not a poor man's hobby.

I only plan on shooting my 9mm once every 2 weeks and during matches. But I know I'll need to shoot it enough to get used to the recoil.

Between now and the September match, I figure I should be able to average 60 minutes a day LASR/SIRT shooting indoors, dry firing, and 1-3 live fire sessions a week with the 22. I'm planning on shooting ~150 rounds each session, hopefully after devising and adhering to really structured live fire sessions to try to get the most out of them - not just plinking.

Yeah, I know.. I am moving a lot slower than some of you think I should, but that's my style. Until I get up to speed and have any kind of confidence in what I'm doing, it's just not in my nature to jump i over my head..

Anyway, thanks for the advice and thoughts.

I would say that you are doing way more than most before their first match. I showed up to my first match with a Sig P229 and two extra mags on a leather belt (shot limited division so I could load the mags to 12). My squad and ROs were very helpful. I was so nervous I ran (walked) right by a window with a set of targets without shooting them. I was hooked immediately.

Yeah, I know.. I am moving a lot slower than some of you think I should, but that's my style. Until I get up to speed and have any kind of confidence in what I'm doing, it's just not in my nature to jump i over my head..

I'll politely argue two points:

1) There's a reason there are U, D, C, B, A and M classifications before GM. Jumping right in gets you a starting point, whether it's U (very unlikely), D, C, or something higher. From there you have a benchmark to start gathering data and comparing performance.

2) You jumped in way over your head with the LASR/SIRT purchase, IMO. Not that it's a bad system but it's not necessary for the types of skills you'll want to build with dry fire or, IMO, the way you'll want to build them.

The best experience is experience. You're delaying that and it looks like it's because you're worried about looking like a novice. Why, when you're a novice? :)

2) You jumped in way over your head with the LASR/SIRT purchase, IMO. Not that it's a bad system but it's not necessary for the types of skills you'll want to build with dry fire or, IMO, the way you'll want to build them.

The best experience is experience. You're delaying that and it looks like it's because you're worried about looking like a novice. Why, when you're a novice? :)

You're assuming waaaaaay too much. I have other shooting goals beside competing in any form of match - UDPA, USPSA, PPC....

The number one priority for me is shooting accurately (for instance, all blacks on 8" bullseye targets) out to about 50 feet, period. I combine this shooting accurately goal with other self-defense goals as a lifestyle decision without even thinking of competition.

Having fun while shooting is a secondary goal in terms of my lifestyle priorities.

Competing involves shooting both relatively accurately AND fast. Speed & competition are only tertiary priorities for me.

So, the LASR/SIRT and M&P 22LR purchases have to assist me in accomplishing my goals in a financially viable manner. I made a decision based on my goals and priorities. The more I can lower the cost/benefit ratio on a per shot basis over time, the better off I am. The LASR/SIRT system is expected to do just that on an immediate and repeatable basis.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Fair enough. At the very least, post progress reports on how it's working for you? I'm genuinely interested.

I've started a training journal on this site if you want to follow along.......I'm no Faulkner, so fair warning...