Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressor for training

I am trying to get more competitive and primarily shoot USPSA Production and some 3 gun. Currently dry firing several times a week and live firing, on average, weekly. Training schedule should firm up once this summer's craziness dies down.

Purchasing a suppressor to enable practice on my home property. It is completely legal and safe for me to shoot on my property but the noise would upset the wife, dogs and neighbors. A suppressor would enable me to live fire multiple times weekly and take away a significant barrier to practice.

Currently I am looking at a 9mm can and would be using this on my production pistol(or a similarity setup suppressor ready gun) and my 9mm AR.

The down sides that I see are:

-cost

-lack of noise

-reduction of recoil

-potential decrease in accuracy when using can

-life span of suppressor

Looking for thoughts, opinions and suggestions.

Silencerco Octane 9 should fit the bill pretty well. I agree with you in that it's going to completely change the way the pistol handles, but it would be better than not shooting at all. Of course you're going to need suppressor sights, which will most likely suck for matches. Unless of course, you just have another production match gun.

Do you reload? Subsonic 9mm ammo will be expensive and hard to get if you don't reload. And if you don't use subsonic ammo in your suppressor it'll still be plenty loud.

Other than that - sounds great!

The point of live fire training is validating performance and some drills that don't work dry, yes? Will your timer be able to pick up the shots? If not, what are you gaining suppressed live vs dry fire?

My home range has very large berms. 17' down range, 9' behind the shooter and 12' on the side. Sound is attenuated and bounced UP. Still audible, but much muted. And OBVIOUSLY safe to everyone that sees it. Also a lot of evergreens around will suck up the sonic energy...if you can wait 15-20 years. Maybe something similar along with a set firing schedule will soothe the neighbors?

Edited by johnbu

Maybe consider going sub caliber. Even buying a .22 pistol with can would be cheaper than getting a 9mm threaded bbl, new sights, 9mm can. And significantly cheaper to run with subs. 22 cal suppressors weigh next to nothing (mine is like 3 oz.)

How far are you from a range that you can use for practice, without a suppressor?

(Might be a less expensive option).

I just looked at suppressors in local gun shop - seem to run about $7 - 800.

I'd be looking at other options before I sent suppressor as a means of practicing. :)

I would never steer someone against a can, because they are fun and anything that makes shooting more fun, I'm for.

That said, I vote 22. Still get a can, but run a 22 conversion in your existing game gun with the can, or build an upper for it. It will allow you to work transitions, use your trigger and stock set up, and use the real weight of a rifle. Get a 22lr version of your game gun and run it with a can if you can, without if the balance messes you up.

I did well in 3 gun because shooting in 22 allowed me to practice all the time. I wouldn't have been able to burn up that much money in "real" ammo

Is it really any cheaper to shoot .22 than it is to reload 9mm these days?

I use an airsoft 2011 in my garage when I can't get to the range, but need more feedback than dry fire.

I think new .22 lr (at .07/round) is about .05/round cheaper than 9mm reloads

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I own a suppressor and a .22 upper for my competition pistol, and I do not use either for practice, only for fun. For both options, the weight and recoil are very different, and the sights will not lift or return in the same manner as they would with unsuppressed/full-power live fire. My suggestion would be to simply do as much dry fire as you can stand, and get in (quality) range time when life allows.

But, you should still buy a suppressor :)