Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brianenos.com Forum Member Shoot!

There's been a discussion over in the "Questions That Don't Fit Anywhere" forum about setting up a match by/for the members of this forum. This thread is being created for greater visibility, and to get the discussion into the appropriate forum. The other thread has good reading in it, so be sure to stop by there...

The desire is to have a match that is a "big match" quality, 2-day format match, in an area that's relatively easy for everyone to get to, and in a timeframe where both the weather is nice in that region, and where we're not interfering with the normal match season/circuit (so as to avoid conflicts). There should also be ample opportunity for socializing (read: drinking ;) ) with all of our friends here on the forum. The match would be open to non-forum-members, of course - we might discuss preference or early registration for forum members??

Phoenix (Rio Salado), Columbus OH, and Dallas/Ft. Worth have been suggested as possible locations - others are possible. The main concern is having someone in that location to interface with the venue, and handle local logistics (and be MD, if they want to and can...). The feeling is that we dig up the rest of the manpower here on the forum.

We have to get moving soon if January of '06 timeframe is the way we want to go (this has strong support - but, as yet, no one in the Phoenix area has piped up - north TX might be too cold at that point?? - Columbus definitely is ;) ).

Ok, I got the thread opened in the right place :) Have at it!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it on a map. How far is Altus from the nearest major airport?? Looks like about 2 hours from DFW, and an hour or so from OK City? November *might* be a little close in timeframe - when does the weather start getting nice??

Well, weather is a factor in Nov in Tx much less Ok...it is the end of April and the weather in Houston has been 86 degrees the last two days...and now the day of the Space City shoot, it is windy as hell, 55 degrees and rained this morning...

I would not hold my breath that the weather in Ok would be good enough to shoot in Nov...at least not for this warm weather shooter....jsut my two cents worth...

Found it on a map. How far is Altus from the nearest major airport?? Looks like about 2 hours from DFW, and an hour or so from OK City? November *might* be a little close in timeframe - when does the weather start getting nice??

OKC (Will Rogers World Airport) will be your best bet if flying in, DFW is over 4 hours away, OKC is only 2. The weather here in November is generally nice, some years it's cold, some years it's really nice. But it's anybody's guess what the weather will be like no matter what part of the country your in.

Altus, being basically in the middle of the U.S., would be a good choice. Just my .02 cents.

ARIZONA!!!!

Someone please step to the front, man I promise I will help all I can from up North. Even though Brian has expressed his non-regimented, timeless lifestyle, I am sure that given that Arizona is the foci for the event that he would be more likely to show up.

We have a really awesome range set up a 1350 sf club house with central air and heat two REAL bathromme with a big covered patio. Each pistol bay has a covered waiting area with elec in each bay. We have two Texas Stars, over 50 poppers, 21 swingers, 3 windmills, a wirly gig, We have just finished putting together 35 plates that are captured on the stands so you dont have to bend over to set them up ( 30 more are ready to be welded together) around 150 target stands. Walls, and lots of other stuff I cant even think of right now. We fluff the range with a tractor and have a golf cart to run score sheets around.

Azone41 - sounds like you guys have a nice setup :) There's a strong desire to have the match relatively close to a major airport - in the other thread, you'll see that there's some objection to requiring a 2+ hour drive from the airport to reach the match. However, one must have a location, period, to have the match, so... :)

What does the hotel situation in the area look like? How about parking at the range? Is the entry road passable for most vehicles? What is the range setup like (# of bays, both pistol and rifle, etc)?? Vending facilities?

Also, weather in Nov. might already be chilly and wet, right?? At least, down here in Austin it most likely will be. Would we be better off waiting until spring time, if we ended up at your range??

Again, thanks for being willing to host - most appreciated.

Three major hotel chains in town as well as lots of smaller ones. We have 60 acres of parking. There will be 8 pistol bays by the end of the summer we have 7 right now (one is 50 yards deep and 35 yards wide) The rifle range goes out to 500 meters and we can set up some stages on it. We can actually set two stages in some of our bays because they are pretty big. We have all the food taken care of because we hold state matches here each year we have tables chairs and a serving window its a real nice setup. I really don't care if everbody wants to do it somewhere else I just wanted to make the offer because I know that our crew can set up a quality match. We normally do a 12 stage match in the 2 day format our last ( big) match was 326 rounds if I remember correctly ( last Oct).

I would be willing to do a match for the BE members. We are located in Altus OK. I would rather shoot for the first part of Nov it is still pretty nice here untill the end of Nov.

Please keep in mind that the Area 2 match at Rio is on the second weekend of Nov.

ok is ok with me :) , shot their once at I think it was red castle in 2002, O.K. all

steel match or something like that, seems like it was about aug. or something like that GREAT CLUB B), pretty place.

OH YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A SINKING FEELING IN THE PIT OF MY STOMACH WHEN I MISREAD THE THREAD TITLE!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Thank God the title actually was SHOOT and not SHOT as I read it the first time~~ :huh:

Whew! I think I need to get some new glasses.

Nolan

I talked to Robbie about this today, and he had a couple good ideas. Maybe it should be more of a social event, with shooting as well. Maybe not even have a "match." We could set up and shoot stages, and have stage winners. More like a big party with some fun shooting than what we normally think of as a match.

He also said that having it at Rio would be right out. As there are scheduled matches every single weekend day of the year. His DrillMaster match will be on a Thurs/Fri because of that.

?

be

That sounds like a lot of fun, too, Brian. If it's not a "match" per se, we could have things that wouldn't qualify as an IPSC/USPSA stage - like all plates, etc...

Ok, Sandoz, Phoenix is apparently out.... We still have OK, and we can try to dig up other places, too....

Ideas?? :)

I know this is going to come across as a shameless plug but I have to do it.

We're holding an 8-10 stage section match at my home range in Jackson, MS this October 8-9th. We have plenty of parking, facilities, props, hotel space, etc. and the airport is only 20 minutes away even in bad traffic. It wouldn't be a BE forum members only match but I'd be happy to set up as many "forum member only" squads as were needed to accommodate those coming in for the match and I'm sure it would be no problem to book a place where everyone could go out to eat together Saturday night. Look at it this way, it would solve the problem of who from the forum was going to get to shoot with his friends and who would have to sacrifice their fun to RO, run stats, etc. It would benefit my club by bringing in some talented shooters from all over the place, it would benefit me because I'd finally get to meet some of you, and I think it would be a good way for the forum members to get together. If anyone is interested, and I haven't completely overstepped my bounds, let me know and I'll flesh out some details. What carriers fly into Jackson, local hotel rates, etc.

John

I talked to Robbie about this today, and he had a couple good ideas. Maybe it should be more of a social event, with shooting as well. Maybe not even have a "match." We could set up and shoot stages, and have stage winners. More like a big party with some fun shooting than what we normally think of as a match.

He also said that having it at Rio would be right out. As there are scheduled matches every single weekend day of the year. His DrillMaster match will be on a Thurs/Fri because of that.

?

be

That sounds Great!

I have three questions now. Is there another range near you that is not so busy? Or could we schedule during the week at Rio? Or, know anyone who owns a few acres of desert with a hill?

Combine a couple of small ones into strings on one stage, or something...

If a total social match - I'd suggest a couple of USPSA style 32 round field course hose fests. A couple of steel challenge courses. A couple of these "challenge/test" type of courses. And, of course, some shoot off action !!! :)

We could always go invade Patches' match, too - though, frankly, I *HATE* Jackson, MS (had a backwoods redneck state trooper there totally violate my 4th amendment rights, and then had his stupid ass drug dog ruin the damn leather in my car while it was searching for drugs that weren't there in the first damn place.....). I guess that's a personal reason that I might consider overlooking, though.... ;)