Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lessons I Learned While Snorkeling...

On a recent trip to Hawai'i, specifically Oahu, we took a day to snorkel at Hanauma Bay. I'm a good swimmer, always have been. And I have snorkeled a few times prior to this trip, but in Indiana snorkeling is not a tourist attraction. Anyway, while I was face down, I pondered many a thing that I believe to be true to other parts of my life and shooting in general.

- You are most effecient when you are relaxed

- Knowing when not to push trumps knowing when to push.

- Kicking against the current makes you tired, and if you do get anywhere, it is a slow process

- Knowing your limitations can save your life

- You are capable of more than you realize

- Knowing you have the right equipment is huge

- Sometimes your friends won't be able to help you, sometimes it is all up to you

I don't mean to profess that I had a moment of clarity under the water and I'm very likely reitterating words previously expressed by those much more intelligent than I am. I'm only sharing an experience.

A lesson I learned while snorkelling on a diving trip to Bimini in 1990.

--Dont take no more equipment than necessary

--Dont lose sight of items you take with you

--Dont buy the dope the islanders offer to sell you

Diving lessons learned

--Dont drink so much you cannot wake up intime for the next mornings dive

Lessons I learned,

reading important topics on this forum and studying a book called: "Practical Shooting"

Beyond fundamentals.

Drawing conclusions for a shooter of my age and ability.

Having good fun on the range is the most important thing IMHO

• 3 months later...

Hanauma Bay .... nice I really liked that place.

I learned that I shouldn't have had those manapuas before hitting the water and to watch out for those turtles. I almost drown when one poked it's head out of the reef and I screamed "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" like a little girl under water. The screaming wasn't the bad part, it was the big inhale of ocean water when I got done that was bad.

I'm going to spend a week on the Mayan Riviera and there's not much to do besides snorkeling. Can somebody recommend a mask and snorkel? I don't want to spend much because it's a one-time deal. I'm going to forego fins if I can.

P.S. More cookies, more bouyancy!

I'm going to spend a week on the Mayan Riviera and there's not much to do besides snorkeling. Can somebody recommend a mask and snorkel? I don't want to spend much because it's a one-time deal. I'm going to forego fins if I can.

I really recommend you get fins if possible, they will save you alot of hard work and your snorkeling will be much more enjoyable.

Since it's a maybe onetime shot for you, just don't go expensive(which is easy to do) and go ahead and get mask, snorkel and fins......you should be able to find a relatively good starter package for 60-80.00 range that would be suitable for what your needing.

Can't give a brand name - but - My God don't skip the fins!...And shave your mustache if you have one. I shaved mine - for good - after fighting saltwater up my nose for several hours. :wacko:

Can't give a brand name - but - My God don't skip the fins!...And shave your mustache if you have one. I shaved mine - for good - after fighting saltwater up my nose for several hours.  :wacko:

TRIDENT sells an excellent mask sealer for use on mustaches.....usually sells for around 5.00

What works well for me and is fun to shop for is "personal lubricant". Nothing more entertaining than pulling out a big tube of KY on the dive deck while looking at everyone with a SE grin on your face. :rolleyes:

Actually, it works quite well and does not harm the mask like petroleum jelly could. As for the mask, nothing sux like a mask that don't fit. Go to a dive shop and try some on to see what's out there. As for the mustache, shave a little space between the nose and the stache. Worked for me for 20 years.

As for the "one time deal". If you like it, you will be back!

Have fun,

Chuck

When snorkeling/diving somewhere new or where you're unfamiliar with the currents, trailing a looooong safety line behind your boat is not a bad idea at all.

not sure I can apply that to shooting but oh well

The shooting equivalent is magazines, lots and lots of magazines. Especially in Production.

David C

Erik,

Ocean Master Tri-view with purge is a great choice if you don’t need a prescription insert or lenses. I think the snorkel is the more important part if you are going to buy gear. Excellent choices are available from numerous vendors online. Look for a true dry tube design such as Genesis Mojave Dry. I own both of these items and rent the fins (lightening my baggage load and bulk) at the site.

David C

You need a mask that fits, cheap or $$$, it will suck if it doesn't fit. Fit is easy to check-- stick mask w/o strap on face, inhale slightly through nose. If the mask stays on with minor suction, you're probably good to go.

+whatever # on the fins.

Did you know that, with the wind just right, you can hear gun fire when you are on the beach at Hanauma Bay?

The range for the local IDPA and IPSC clubs is just up the road, I kid you not.

:D

Kevin C

Get a mask that is comfortable and seals well to your face. A good snorkel with a purge valve and wave deflector is the way to go. Fins should be good fitting so they don't cause foot cramps. Good gear is worth it. Go to a dive shop before you go.

don't forget the cheezwiz, the stuff in a can.  fish love it.  or frozen peas.

lynn

Sorry, Lynn, green peas and cheesewiz aren't allowed anymore. Seems the fish got too fat and lazy living off of tourist food.

Kevin C-

Right you are! A little ways down the road from Haunama Bay is the Kokohead Shooting Range where on any given Sunday you can probably find one of the two local USPSA clubs, Mid Pacific Pistol League or Rhat Rhat Boyz, having a local match. At least one weekend a month the cowboys have the range for one of thier fun shoots.

If you are lucky enough to be in the islands, come out and watch us shoot or heck, give a call ahead of time (you can find the clubs on the USPSA website) and you can shoot with us.

Sorry, Lynn, green peas and cheesewiz aren't allowed anymore.  Seems the fish got too fat and lazy living off of tourist food. 

It's just as well. I heard that many fish going crazy in one place tended to attract the sharks.

How are you guys dealing with the magazine restriction? A lot of L10, production, and revo shooting going on?

How are you guys dealing with the magazine restriction? A lot of L10, production, and revo shooting going on?

On local and State matches we score Open, Limited and Revolver. Some guys shoot Production for fun but are scored as Limited. During classifiers, the shooter chooses ahead of time whether the score goes in as Limited or Limited 10.

The hard part, I hear, is when shooting matches on the mainland to get out of the habit of automatically planning to reload after 10 rounds. Hopefully I'll find out in November at Rio Salado, I'm #5 on the wait list and it will be my first mainland match.

Like snorkling, shooting seems to be more enjoyable when I just relax and go with smooth movements rather than thrashing about. Seems to attract less sharks as well.

Hopefully I'll find out in November at Rio Salado, I'm #5 on the wait list and it will be my first mainland match.

Eh Brah,

I hope you make it in. I can't go, but I hear that it will be good fun. Take it easy, shoot your game Hawaiian style and it will be all good.

Much mahalo for the response.

Chaka!