Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bowling pins !

johnbu

Yesterday our club had a practice match shooting pins OFF the table at 15 yards. Table has side rails by the way. Did "ok", but them pins require a solid center hit to clear and my propensity to lose concentration was apparent! Snatching the trigger slightly also means a low hit or a miss. The liw hit flips the pins tiny round top toward the shooter making it screaming hard to clear off. My other habit of pushing the gun with the left thumb was showing up. While fun to shoot and watch, it was a strenuous test to hit a 1"x2" sweet spot that would pop the pins clear.

We are having the real match tomorrow. Should be loads of fun with a warm day. If I can hold concentration, not snatch at the trigger or steer the gun...

Multiple divisions. Minor is 9mm, 38spl etc. Major is 40, 357 Sig, 45acp etc., magnums is 357 on up. The guys shooting 460 sw mag don't do well as the shots are too slow, but the pins do fly!

There are also 22rifle and pistol divisions shooting just the heads of the pins.

So, while your advice is sound the pins still need a center smack.

Have them ser the pins up like at the bowling alley and try to knock them off...they get interwoven if not done right.

That would be fun, but they set them up in two staggered lines so they do fall and get interwoven! That way, only that sweet spot hit clears them.

Round nose, or flat point bullets, tend to bounce off, and not transmit energy if not dead centered. A JHP with a wide, sharp, mouth tends to 'bite' into the pin and transmit all the energy to driving the pin backwards. I kinda like .44 Spl or .45 ACP JHPs in the 230/240 grain weight at about 750/800 fps. Very controllable... and they move pins!

Pins is a lot like Steel Challenge.... you can't make up for misses by shooting faster. A miss cost a minimum of .30 seconds, and as much as .5..... then you get pins rolling around on the table and messing up your other shots.

Go 5 For 5 with good bullets and Pins is fun.

Round nose, or flat point bullets, tend to bounce off, and not transmit energy if not dead centered. A JHP with a wide, sharp, mouth tends to 'bite' into the pin and transmit all the energy to driving the pin backwards.....

Way back, somebody was advertising special bullets for bowling pins: like JHP, except they had sharp teeth on the edge :)

Shot 2 divisions, minor (9mm) and major (357, 40, 45, etc). Only lost in the finals for 9mm minor, came in second place 16 person double elimination. Ran 2 people in major and the FIRING PIN broke! Used aback gun in the consolation bracket and won...making me the best loser! Haha.

Shot pretty good. Had a few lapses in concentration but recovered.

Way back, somebody was advertising special bullets for bowling pins: like JHP, except they had sharp teeth on the edge :)

I saw an old ad for those. I think they called them "flying ashtrays" or something like that. Funny looking but maybe more effective than conventional shapes.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a few formats around here for pin shoots.

I have shot them off individual pedestals. 22s got them off just fine, so there was a 22 division.

Those steel tables with the sideboards can be a real bitch when you have a nose over the front edge of the table up against the side rail.

One day I hit one with 8 rounds of 357 factory and all it did was wiggle. :-(

Bob

We have a few formats around here for pin shoots.

I have shot them off individual pedestals. 22s got them off just fine, so there was a 22 division.

Those steel tables with the sideboards can be a real bitch when you have a nose over the front edge of the table up against the side rail.

One day I hit one with 8 rounds of 357 factory and all it did was wiggle. :-(

Bob

You got that right! Stuck on the side rails stinks!

A local smith does this at one of the local gun clubs here. I managed 3rd overall once with an iron sight .22 pistol. Most of the fast folks are running 9mm pistols with a red dot. I've shot another match with a 10mm 1911 and S&W 610. Double-action revolver required one reload on the clock. My then wife emptied a 17 round mag on 6 pins and knocked down 4. She's a good shot on the square range, but more than one target and she's lost.

I love a good bowling pin shoot. I use a 1971 colt government with 230gr cast hp. Plated or coated won't throw the pins as far. Do they run 6 rounds per mag? When I do pins they keep you at 6 rounds per mag, so revolvers can compete, but as many mags as you want. 8 shot revolvers can only run 6.

I love a good bowling pin shoot. I use a 1971 colt government with 230gr cast hp. Plated or coated won't throw the pins as far. Do they run 6 rounds per mag? When I do pins they keep you at 6 rounds per mag, so revolvers can compete, but as many mags as you want. 8 shot revolvers can only run 6.

Rules vary per match. The one I'll shoot tomorrow limits you to 8 rounds per mag, no Barney. I think it is more to keep the single stacks in competition with the double stacks than helping the revolvers. A couple guys are pretty salty with a 6 shot revolver.

Rules vary per match. The one I'll shoot tomorrow limits you to 8 rounds per mag, no Barney. I think it is more to keep the single stacks in competition with the double stacks than helping the revolvers. A couple guys are pretty salty with a 6 shot revolver.

Work on your grip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...