Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon MRO......any opinions?

RangerTrace

I realize this isn't the perfect Forum for this topic, but I'm building (having built) an 8.5" 300 BLK for an off duty/backpack/hunting rig. When not in the backpack, it will be wearing a Silencerco Omega at the range and other times. I'm leaning towards the Trijicon MRO as the sight for this rifle. I love Aimpoint products, I have a Mini ACOG on my 9mm SBR, but I'd like to give the MRO a try......

I'm really liking my MRO! The dot is very clear, much more than my EOTECHS. I haven't needed more than 4 on the brightest day. It holds and adjusts zero better than any red dot I have owned! BUT....where it really shines is it's two night vision settings. Through night vision the housing can not be seen. The glowing dot just seems to hang there in mid air, and the poa/poi is just perfect. So far I can claim 3 head shots on pigs at the 50-75 yard range and anything closer isn't even fair. Mine is living on a 458 Socom with the high mount and hasn't drifted zero nor loosend and it has around 150 rounds on it. It is my new favorite red dot and I will own several more!! Carnitas baby!!!!!!!!?:)

I have no idea, I wanted the hi mount so I could run a head mounted night vision device and still see the dot. When it comes to bacon I'm all about vision!! :lol:

I picked one up for a new SBR that is still in jail. I have put it on a couple rifles to check it out and my feelings are similar to Kurt's. I have been a long time mini user, but this one may unseat it as my favorite dot.

My opinion is that I wish I had one! KurtM, great info, and I'd personally love to hear more input from others.

After I win the lottery, I'd like to pick up a TTI 14.5" upper and run it with just a dot, ARMS folding poly sights, and maybe a lightweight flashlight of some sort like an Inforce WMLS. A simple, lightweight piece for carbine matches and anybody dumb enough to attempt a home invasion on me.

Edited by jkrispies

I've been using one since last summer. I have an astigmatism, but the MRO dot is more round than Aimpoints. I really like the short/fat tube of the MRO over Aimpoint micros.

I won Blue Ridge heavy irons with the MRO mounted on an AR308 and only left 1 long range target as best I can remember. With heavy overcast illumination setting 3 is great. Like Kurt mentioned, I never had to go higher than 4 even with the sun out.

Negatives on it (and they're minor)-

I wish it had a setting between 3 and 4. There are times that 3 is too dim to see, and 4 is a little too bright on distant targets. (Considering your usage this probably isn't an issue.)

The windage and elevation adjustments are mushy. Not a big deal since zero hasn't shifted, but I'd like a little more positive clicks for peace of mind.

I've been using one since last summer. I have an astigmatism, but the MRO dot is more round than Aimpoints. I really like the short/fat tube of the MRO over Aimpoint micros.

I won Blue Ridge heavy irons with the MRO mounted on an AR308 and only left 1 long range target as best I can remember. With heavy overcast illumination setting 3 is great. Like Kurt mentioned, I never had to go higher than 4 even with the sun out.

Negatives on it (and they're minor)-

I wish it had a setting between 3 and 4. There are times that 3 is too dim to see, and 4 is a little too bright on distant targets. (Considering your usage this probably isn't an issue.)

The windage and elevation adjustments are mushy. Not a big deal since zero hasn't shifted, but I'd like a little more positive clicks for peace of mind.

Yeah, and they advertise the lack of caps as a positive thing, but I tend to worry a bit about those getting moved while bouncing/rubbing around in a back pack.

I've been messing around with one this year; like the others have said the dot is nice and sharp. If you read other reviews you will notice complaints about fisheye and tint; these are both noticeable but I don't think either take away from its capabilities.

I wish it had a half setting between 3 and 4. 3 is invisible in sunny conditions and 4 is almost too bright for precision further away. This could also be me having limited time behind red dots though.

I got to handle one yesterday when I purchased by Deadair Sandman-S for my 300 BLK. It looked really nice, though it wasn't mounted on a rifle. Im definitely going to give it a try. I really liked the size of it.

Just FYI in case anyone hasn't seen... Kygunco.com has the MRO for less than $390 shipped. That's considerably cheaper than I've seen it a lot of other places ----

This is without a mount, so that might explain the pricing. Altho for about what they're priced, you can add a larue mount and be way ahead of what most other places are offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, and they advertise the lack of caps as a positive thing, but I tend to worry a bit about those getting moved while bouncing/rubbing around in a back pack.

Or just put a hash mark on each knob, once sighted in, to quickly tell if they'd moved.

I've had mine for about 6 month, when I first got it the dot was nice and round. I zeroed it and shot several hundred rounds and one match using it, then put it in the safe. I pulled it out last week to see how the battery was holding up, and found that the dot is just one big flare.

I had several people look at it on multiple brightness setting just to make sure it wasn't my somewhat bad eyes. It wasn't.

Called customer service and they said send it back for a replacement. printed the RMA but then I had to fly to Chicago for a month so I haven't sent it back yet.

I had a pretty negative experience with the ones I bought (30 or so for an agency) that I spent plenty of time on AR15.com discussing, but I feel like it was a 'gen 1' issue that is likely resolved, as I have not heard of too many other people having the same problems. But at the end of the day, I couldn't get past the image shift and slight magnification--I just couldn't shoot it with both eyes open. And that's an issue that many are having with it. But I really liked the FOV and size. I did find that mounting the optic as close to my eye as possible (as recommended by Trijicon) lessened the effects of distortion.

I haven't encountered any of the problems RAZZ has mentioned. I shoot mainly iron sights so I am real picky about true 1X and clarity. The MRO has met all my criteria for a great sight and I run mine as far forward on the receiver as I can. It is a great sight!!

• 3 months later...
On June 8, 2016 at 4:04 PM, kurtm said:

I haven't encountered any of the problems RAZZ has mentioned. I shoot mainly iron sights so I am real picky about true 1X and clarity. The MRO has met all my criteria for a great sight and I run mine as far forward on the receiver as I can. It is a great sight!!

I have only noticed the RAZZ mentioned issues out far at 100 yards or so.  Slight double image and a small distortion but only at the edge of the optic.  I think people notice it transitioning as the edge of the glass as it crosses the next target.  You do not see it at all in the center of the glass.  BTW I noticed this after using my MRO on my T1 too.  The distortion is there on the T1... Just less.

T