Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend A Cheep 15"handguard

BOOM

Can anyone recommend a descent quality 15 inch handguard for a inexpensive trainng upper. There are allot of low priced handguards out there, but I'm not wanting junk, and these maybe for the air soft crowd

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00227GT12MLK/12%22-Ultra-Lightweight-Thin-M-LOK-System-Free-Floating-Handguard-With-Monolithic-Top-Rail

Used this Guntec on a 22ar I built for my son. US made, or least it says on the rail. $78 for 12" $84 for 15". Key mod or m lock. Install was easy, probably similar to the Rousch. Smaller diameter but has worked well with some great taccom parts for a fun 22.

I've been running one of those handgaurd for about a year now with no complaints other than one of the screws will try to strip out on the install. I've owned three and they all did the same thing

I'm digging my Nordic tube. Turns out those guys are really good at making tubes, irrespective of whether it goes on a rifle or a shotgun.

My basic needs were

* Lighter than a Larue

* Holy crap it's 100 bucks

* Will keep my paw from getting cooked and also not look like garbage

My wild hypothesis is that more competent machine shops (or companies with neat designs and outsourced machine shops) were waiting on the big names to come up with the tier 1 warfighter approved fad of the day, then just kind of crank that out times a bunch for half the price. Picatinny rails cost way more machine time to produce than a lot of the top-rail-only or modular setups.

?; I read regularly especial with lower cost / slim handguard of there being enough clearance for a clamp on gas block. which of the above listed handguard would have enough clearance

Been running a few of the 15" UTG PRO Keymod rails for 3 gun without issue. They are machined very well and nicely detailed. Easy install and match well on MUR uppers. I like the fact that all sides are keymod and they index or lock along side the upper to prevent rotation.