Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carolina cup.

valerko

I've missed the last 3 yrs due to focusing on 3 gun but the years prior were the best matches I attended including Tulsa Nationals. Frank puts on great matches, very challenging, cool props & unusual shooting positions!

Check out YouTube.

it is a fun match. and it is a bit different. they take advantage of some of the stuff they have in the trees to good use, if even a little repetitive year to year. it is a challenging match and the trophy should you be skilled enough to win one is one of the very best I've seen at a shooting match.

yes, you saying "well that's not legal!" will get you nothing but scornful looks. good pig eatin' afterwards as well. but yeah, with no points to nationals and an uncertain rule set, you have to make sure it is worth it for you.

From my information, it is still an IDPA match, and still covered by IDPA rules. It is not an "outlaw" match. It will be a large level 1 match and is just not "sanctioned."

Level 1 matches do not get the headquarters "love" that sanctioned matches get (required approval of courses of fire, listing on the IDPA website and the appeals process).

Look at it as a very large club match for which you won't get any IDPA match points (that's the only difference, in my opinion).

There was some serious disagreement in how the appeals process was handled last year and a lot of confusion/disruption created when the IDPA process kicked in.

If it wasn't for the match points, I don't think you would see any difference.

I would go if I could.

Edited by robport

That may be true, but all of them had to be approved by the Area Coordinator for it to be sanctioned.

I seem to remember some head shots that might have been more than 10 yards (I didn't measure), but can't remember seeing anything gross.

That's not the only sanctioned match that had IDPA illegal stages. There have been a lot of them. Youtube is full of them.

I'm sure the Area Coordinators do the best they can but some slip through.

I don't really care about the point and stuff. Just wanna see what I'm made off. I've been cleaning up in local matches and dint go any further from NY , then PA or MA. Was thinking going south , but this is my first year doing some serious matches and Carolina idea was shut down by my better half pretty fast. Since I have 6 or 7 other bigger matches already planned , didn't wanna push the envelope. Lol

We ain't had a state match in SC in 3 years. It' sucks and I don't know why.

The guy that ran the last state match,that I know of, told me that it had become a big hassle and that he had even dropped IDPA affiliation. Everyone's hassle level is different so who knows.

We have kicked around the idea of doing a state match at our club, but it hasn't gained any traction.

We ain't had a state match in SC in 3 years. It' sucks and I don't know why.

It is easy to understand why. It is a huge amount of work with little reward for the guys doing all the heavy lifting.

Frank has not totally dropped IDPA affiliation. We still have 2 "official" IDPA matches a month. The Cup is just not a sanctioned match this year. The shooter rules will be pretty much IDPA. There will just be a little common sense flexibility in stage design, etc. It may be the best Cup yet.

Edited by johes

The Cup has been a high quality and rewarding match the last 2 years. I'm pretty local it's 2 hrs away for me. However I'm not going this year, without insight to the stages/prizes/talent to show up I'm choosing not to attend. I feel that since they didn't drop the price or announce any changes it doesn't have the value that it's had before.

However I could be wrong, some top level shooters around my area think it'll be the best match ever had there just because. I do know that it used to fill up within a week after application opening but I don't think it's full and it's been 2 months since registration started.

The Cup has been a high quality and rewarding match the last 2 years. I'm pretty local it's 2 hrs away for me. However I'm not going this year, without insight to the stages/prizes/talent to show up I'm choosing not to attend. I feel that since they didn't drop the price or announce any changes it doesn't have the value that it's had before.

However I could be wrong, some top level shooters around my area think it'll be the best match ever had there just because. I do know that it used to fill up within a week after application opening but I don't think it's full and it's been 2 months since registration started.

Hit the nail on the head. What is the point.

I've shot the Cup the last two years. It takes us about 7 hours to get down there and is worth every second of driving. Frank and his people do an awesome job with the stages.Sanctioned or not I'm sad to say, I have to miss it this year. As Bill said life gets in the way. I've only had time to shoot one match all year.

Frank puts on a great match.

He gives you different ways to shoot the stages and gives you just enough room to hang your self if you want to take the risk on the stages.

The hard cover is hard, and Franks says if you can shoot thru it it isn't hard cover.

I have never been disappointed at one of his matches.

It's worth the trip.

• 4 weeks later...

The Carolina Cup is not sanctioned this year because the AC's designated representative over ruled the arbitration panel last year. That is, the official IDPA oversight official didn't follow the rules.

There are several stages this year that do not pretend to be IDPA legal stages. They are not. They are not supposed to be.

Virtually every target system that has ever been used in a Carolina Cup will be used this year.

There will be a few fault lines.

There will be a bunch of steel, a par time stage, a lot of non-threats, some very challenging shots.

IDPA type stages will run on IDPA type rules.

There will be no arbitration. The Match Director's word will be final. It is his range, his match and his efforts.

The Carolina Cup is not sanctioned this year because the AC's designated representative over ruled the arbitration panel last year. That is, the official IDPA oversight official didn't follow the rules.

There are several stages this year that do not pretend to be IDPA legal stages. They are not. They are not supposed to be.

Virtually every target system that has ever been used in a Carolina Cup will be used this year.

There will be a few fault lines.

There will be a bunch of steel, a par time stage, a lot of non-threats, some very challenging shots.

IDPA type stages will run on IDPA type rules.

There will be no arbitration. The Match Director's word will be final. It is his range, his match and his efforts.

Sounds good, except one part...using all the target systems used in the past...there are a couple that I hoped never to see again, LOL. As I said earlier, may be the best Cup yet.