Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929.....would you buy another one?

wheelie66

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input, I am going to take the plunge and hope for the best.

Please let us know about your experience with the 929!!

For me there was a definite learning curve involved and I didn't expect that but I am glad I did it.

In purchasing one my advice would be to if possible see the actual gun you are getting (preferably in person) before you buy.

I would buy a fourth. Most every revolver used in competition gets a little action work. The 929 is almost perfectly equipped with all the right goodies, it only lacks a little tlc. Super thrilled with my first 2 after reworking the action, recrown, reclock. Now #3 is waiting for me to find a little time to polish it up and fit it's new trigger. c8374e3e1776b9381ce0c99e22d3a933.jpg

• 1 month later...

My first 929 was the poster child for all that was wrong with em. It had not much of a B/C gap, odd sized chambers, mis-cut forcing cone, sticky extraction in all but the lightest loads, and tumbled all but one chamber. Sent it back to smith and in two weeks it came back, and now the gun runs. haven't done the trigger yet, waiting till i get 10K or 15K threw it. and now i am thinking about another one.

I bought mine over the counter so I could inspect it. It didn't have a lot of the problems others have seen, but it wasn't great. Trigger pull was way higher than advertised. It needed a trigger job just to get down to the advertised double action pull. Then I had to have the cylinder set back to get it in spec for reliable ignition. Even with the higher than desired trigger pull, it shoots well. I rarely shoot revolver. But, I did shoot it in one steel challenge match and came within 10 seconds of my best auto score. So I'm glad I have it. But, I wouldn't buy another unless I thought I was going to get real serious about revolver and was willing to spend a lot of money on gunsmithing.

• 2 weeks later...

AZShooter, you may be the first person I've seen around here who is willing to own up to a double charge. Kudos, bro! (Most people blame the gun.)

Lemme guess....a non-auto-indexing Dillon 550, right?

I did the same thing on a square deal and then bought the simpler 550 :) .

The 650 just offers the auto indexing and the powder check station which to me is a no brainer for myself.

Makes perfect sense.

I'm a standing up style reloader who prefers to look at the powder charge after the fill stroke, and again when I drop the bullet in, and I like the simplicity. Just a different way of doing things. No worries.

Am worried about whether or not I want the longer barrel on the 929 or the 5" on the 627 though. Leaning toward thinking I would like the 5".

Per a discussion with my local revolver guru today, the 929 probably won't make power factor with my standard loads and will probably not be terribly happy with my range brass, so a little of the 9mm convenience goes away.

So what? I killed my first deer with a handgun using a 9mm. I'll take the 929 hunting some time. Good luck with your five inch barrel in some states...not legal.

Is it legal to hunt deer in your state with a 9mm and which states do not allow 5" barrels? Here in Iowa we can use 4" but minimum caliber is .357. Edited by revoman

I sold my 550, and Friday the guy that bought it was at the range. Double Charged a .38 Spec. and blew up his Ruger. Lets see if Ruger offers him a replacement at a reasonable cost like Smith & Wesson did for me when I made my mistake.

BTW. My 929 is working so well now I'd buy another if need be but I'm not shooting enough to buy a backup gun.

I'm also wondering, are the current 627 series any better on average?

You can do searches on the internet to confirm, but it seems anything coming out of PC is a crap shoot.

Agreed, my 625PC went back for multiple fit&finish issues, Metal burs and chips everywhere, dented ribbing on the top barrel, 1/16Th wide drag line..... it was a real mess. Yeah they fixed it but why the issues from a "PC" revolver?

Edited by Cobbler

• 3 weeks later...

So far mine has been awesome. I have ran loads of different brass through it and primarily shoot plain lead bullets. I even bought some cheap moon clips and it loves them. the only problem is that I am addicted to my uspsa production shooting and sadly am parting ways with my 929.