Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929.....would you buy another one?

wheelie66

On April 20, 2016 at 10:46 PM, AzShooter said:

929blown%20cylinder.jpgHere's what happens with a double charge.

Question Im new here and just started loading with a Dillon 550 and my question is Im shooting FMJ 115 and 124grn and with my charge its set to 4.3 to 4.5grn and if I do accidentally double charge it over flows from the case and well its kinda obvious when I seat the bullet on the case so AzShooter did you just not notice or are you shooting a heavier bullet with a lighter charge that can be double charged and not noticeable 

Edited by usmcchet9296

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, usmcchet9296 said:

Question Im new here and just started loading with a Dillon 550 and my question is Im shooting FMJ 115 and 124grn and with my charge its set to 4.3 to 4.5grn and if I do accidentally double charge it over flows from the case and well its kinda obvious when I seat the bullet on the case so AzShooter did you just not notice or are you shooting a heavier bullet with a lighter charge that can be double charged and not noticeable 

Probably depends on what powder he's using.  I witnessed an unfortunate gun kaboom a couple of weekends ago and decided to do some testing. 

The bottom row is an empty case, Titegroup @ 3.4gr, a double charge, and a triple charge

The top row is an empty case, VV N320 @3.5gr, and a double charge.

All cases are Winchester 9mm, sized and primed.  These are the loads I use with a 147gr projectile to make 132pf.

Being able to easily spot a double charge is just one of the reasons I've switched to N320 from Titegroup.

P9060021a.JPG

Edited by VanMan1961

11 hours ago, usmcchet9296 said:

I was using 147 grain bullets with 3.2 grains of VV N320.  Didn't notice the double charge.  First time in over 30 years of reloading.  Just an oversight.

Smith & Wesson offered me  a new gun at a very reasonable price so I took it.  Been very happy with the replacement.   I'm still loading 3.2 grains of N 320 but I'm now loading on a 650.  I like the auto advance.

update - was going over my new toy yesterday and found a couple of problems. 

1. Ejector star is not properly fitted so a loaded moon clip won't fully insert.
  2. Barrel is not correctly indexed, and rear sight is adjusted all the way to the right to compensate.

There's some pics of it in this thread  

Still love the 929 as a competition platform.  Just wish S&W would improve their QA, especially for something from their "Performance Center".