Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929.....would you buy another one?

wheelie66

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had two. My first one died do to a double charge.

My second one was a learning experience. I found out what ammo it prefers and what brass. I've been using Starline for years and have been very happy with it. It sticks in the 929 so I tried different brass and settled on Winchester. Now I have 2000 cases that I reload and keep segregated for the 929.

I put in an APEX hammer and did the action work myself. I'm happy but I hear Randy Lee from APEX can now get the triggers down to 3.5 lbs double action.

I didn't have any of the problems I've heard about like canted barrels.

Yes, I'd like to buy another when I have the extra cash. There is nothing that a good gunsmith can't address.

I have two and have been happy with them. They both shoot very well. With a scope they both will stay around the 3" mark for 8 rounds at 50 yards. Both have been very reliable at 5lbs for the trigger. I don't have a lot of experience but like the way they feel better than my 5" 625 or V-comp.

I am now shooting my second 929, the first was returned to the factory due to excess barrel to cylinder gap, the factory was unable to repair it. My second gun requires FC Brass and .040 moon clips from TK Custom to achieve 100% reliability and smooth extraction. The accuracy is disappointing with average group size near 3" at 25 yards, I have tried 124s 147s 158s and 160s the cast 160s sized .357 give me the best accuracy. In the end I would not purchase another, I shot one of my 627s last week, it will do everything the 929 will with better accuracy, versatility and almost non existent pressure problems.

For a gun marketed by the (lack of) Performance Center as ideal for shooting disciplines including Bianchi Cup it's a huge disappointment. A silky smooth 10 lb. trigger pull that's actually more like 12-14 lbs. and feels like it was assembled in a sandbox, forcing cone cut unevenly, cylinder chambers of different sizes, gee what's not to like? Oh, and the accuracy ... since when does a 3"-4" group at 25 yds. qualify as ideal for accuracy intensive competitions? Would I buy another? What do you think?

I have two and am very happy.

929 #1 has about 30-40K rounds through it and #2 has maybe 3K.

Both have Apex hammers and are tuned to about a 4.5lb trigger. Out of the box the triggers were total garbage. I have felt J-Frames with better triggers.

I replaced the rear sight with a Bowen.

I use mixed brass but am slowly culling out all the REM and PMC from my collection as it does not fit tight in HearthCo moons.

I still have my 627s, but I don't know why. Just don't have the heart to sell them.

Edited by Tom Freeman

I've had two. My first one died do to a double charge.

My second one was a learning experience. I found out what ammo it prefers and what brass. I've been using Starline for years and have been very happy with it. It sticks in the 929 so I tried different brass and settled on Winchester. Now I have 2000 cases that I reload and keep segregated for the 929.

I put in an APEX hammer and did the action work myself. I'm happy but I hear Randy Lee from APEX can now get the triggers down to 3.5 lbs double action.

I didn't have any of the problems I've heard about like canted barrels.

Yes, I'd like to buy another when I have the extra cash. There is nothing that a good gunsmith can't address.

Wait... a double charge? Any pictures? Any damage to yourself? Would love to hear more about it since I've been uncertain how revolvers deal with accidental double charges to protect the shooter.

Would I buy another? Eh, I dunno. I'm pretty happy with my current 929. It was not great out of the box. It was the worst Smith revolver I've ever handled. But there was nothing inherently wrong, just really rough edges. With a little TLC, it cleaned right up. But another? I've certainly thought about it. Perhaps used, with all the work done, yeah, I'd buy another. But I'd probably rather try something new. I'm weird like that. I like trying new things.

AZShooter, you may be the first person I've seen around here who is willing to own up to a double charge. Kudos, bro! (Most people blame the gun.)

Lemme guess....a non-auto-indexing Dillon 550, right?

yes, but its all about expectations. The qc on these guns is atrocious, just realize you are basically buying a kit gun that is rough assembled and it will need to be fixed if you have any expectations about a have a nice action, accuracy, etc...

From what I have seen of 327's and 627's that numerous friends have bought in recent years, it is the same story here as well.

At first I was disappointed in my 929 basically because my 625, Model 25 Lew Horton and 610 were great guns right out of the box. What shocked me was the steep learning curve which I have never before experienced with a revolver. Shortly after getting it I considered trading it off on something like a 627. But I stuck with it, learned it's likes, dislikes & quirks and after all of that am satisfied with it and would do it again. I got mine on GunBroker and would not recommend buying a 929 there because IMO you need to examine the gun you are getting first. Your Mileage May Vary. Currently I find mine works the best with nickel brass sized with a Lee 9mm under size sizer die and I had to do some experimenting to find some loads it shoots well.

Edited by Lubecktech

929 operating flawlessly. Using 38SC Starline Brass, 9MM 147 Gr Black Bullets International, 6 lb trigger job, and reload the 38s using 9MM Dies / taper crimp, etc. Moonclips are by TK Custom and purchased for an 8 Shot 38SC.

Works great!

Mine is coming back from mothership next week, second visit.

Last issue "was" pierced primers. Work order stated frame fix, barrel realignment and new firing pin.

I do like the gun, but it's far from Performance Center.

Older PCs are way better

929 operating flawlessly. Using 38SC Starline Brass, 9MM 147 Gr Black Bullets International, 6 lb trigger job, and reload the 38s using 9MM Dies / taper crimp, etc. Moonclips are by TK Custom and purchased for an 8 Shot 38SC.

Works great!

38 super comp or 38 short Colt?

Works great!

38 super comp or 38 short Colt?

Short Colt.