Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO Class

mont1120

Just took the beginners RO class from Mr. Kevin Imel last month, and I wish to say this class is one all members should take if for nothing else, to learn how truly difficult the RO job is. Instructors are not paid to do these classes, give up time to instruct and grade tests, (and correct answers with written notes). In addition they get to answer the most ridiculous questions from students I believe I have ever heard.

If you get a chance, take the course to learn the rules and nuances of the USPSA. You will be surprised on how well thought out the rulebook is set up, and how it attempts to cover 99% of issues that crop up. This is a way shooters can begin to give back to the sport, and volunteer their time to build the membership for the next generation.

(BTW, Mr. Imel was a superb instructor, kudos to the Rules division of the USPSA.)

Knowing the rules is a great benefit if you never run a shooter. I can't tell you how many times I have had an RO make a call that was clearly outside of the rulebook even at a LII match. If you don't know the rules, you just take it and go on. If you do know them you can help the RO make the proper call.

I agree, Keven Imel did my CRO class and was great.

Just took the beginners RO class from Mr. Kevin Imel last month, and I wish to say this class is one all members should take if for nothing else, to learn how truly difficult the RO job is. Instructors are not paid to do these classes, give up time to instruct and grade tests, (and correct answers with written notes). In addition they get to answer the most ridiculous questions from students I believe I have ever heard.

If you get a chance, take the course to learn the rules and nuances of the USPSA. You will be surprised on how well thought out the rulebook is set up, and how it attempts to cover 99% of issues that crop up. This is a way shooters can begin to give back to the sport, and volunteer their time to build the membership for the next generation.

(BTW, Mr. Imel was a superb instructor, kudos to the Rules division of the USPSA.)

In case you didn't know....http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1159

This. At a recent LII, after ULSC I was told to "slide down" (even repeated it after I questioned it). Wasn't sure where he wanted me to slide down to...

What's better is the range is safe command.

Or slide, trigger, hammer, holster.

Shooter are you ready?

Shooter has confirmed he is ready.

Give me a nod when you are ready.

Are you ready? No answer.

Are you ready? NO Answer.

I said Are you ready?

This is when you ask for an R.O. that knows what they are doing.

as long as they get the parts right leading up to me shooting, don't care too much what they say after i'm done.

do you understand the cof...

as i'm adjusting my earpro - are you ready

or the guys that skip the 'are you ready' and go right to 'standby.'

as long as they get the parts right leading up to me shooting, don't care too much what they say after i'm done.

If they do these, I'll put my hand back on my gun (or mags) and/or wave my head from side to side (as in, "no").

If they try to Standby and beep you early, you can just stand there, waiting to hear "Are You Ready". Hopefully they'll figure it out.

(I don't want to get into a conversation because it interrupts my concentration (such as it is :P ) and leads to having to stand down and get refocused.)

On the flip side of the coin, there are annoyances when you're working as RO. Last night, the scorekeeper kept asking me for the time on the clock before I had a chance to clear the shooter. Before I even got "If you are finished..." out of my mouth, he was barking at me for the time. After I finished clearing the shooter, I told him the time, and then reminded him which thing takes priority over the other.

In a nutshell, don't bug the RO when he is clearing the shooter.

Do you understand the COF is not a proper range command.

As long as a shooter is fidgeting and moving I don't ask if they are ready.

I put my hand ony gun or magazine as a sign to the R.O. I am not ready and sometimes they still ask Are you ready.

The range commands need to be consistent and proper, if the guy running the timer doesn't know the proper range commands and use them, someone else should run the shooter.

On the flip side of the coin, there are annoyances when you're working as RO. Last night, the scorekeeper kept asking me for the time on the clock before I had a chance to clear the shooter. Before I even got "If you are finished..." out of my mouth, he was barking at me for the time. After I finished clearing the shooter, I told him the time, and then reminded him which thing takes priority over the other.

Other flip side. You check the time then hold the timer in such a way he can see it while you are clearing the shooter.. We don't need another deucing scandal around these parts.

Try using wrong commands at an International match were some shooters English is limited to 'the actual' commands. Guns do come out of holsters when you are being polite and saying hello. It's a learning experience and no matter how many times you get told you don't believe it until it happens.

You know, this thread started life as an attempt to thank individuals for tirelessly teaching the rules of USPSA...and it has devolved into yet another rules thread about range commands, shooter ready stuff, etc. There are countless threads on those topics...no need to drag that into here.

Thank you Kevin, for your efforts to further the sport and teach how it should be played.

GrumpyOne

Other flip side. You check the time then hold the timer in such a way he can see it while you are clearing the shooter.. We don't need another deucing scandal around these parts.

Nice suggestion, but you weren't there. The scorekeeper was off to the side, at least 15 feet away.

I'm pretty well versed on how to hold the timer when the scorekeeper is in a place where he can see it, but thanks.

In case you're wondering: how did this situation occur? It was a stage in a big bay and the scorekeeper could not keep up with the shooter and myself over the roughly 25 yards of running. The shooter was finished and ready to be cleared before the scorekeeper could get near us.

If you are serious about this sport there is no reason to not take an RO class and do some time behind the clock running shooters. Knowing the rules will help improve your game. ROing will give you a new appreciation for the RO's who do it regularly.

This is a volunteer sport that can't happen without the dedicated volunteer efforts by many shooters. Taking an RO class and getting a certification is a very good step towards in giving back to the sport you love to participate in.

Can ROing be a pain in the butt at times? Sure. But the more RO's there are the more the workload can be shared on the squad.