Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing 7-10% of 9mm loads

tanks

I did the plunk test as I was about to do the weekly firearm cleaning anyway. Every one but two passed. I had one raised primer that was in the pic. So, three out of about 1,400 rounds rejected. I feel better. I will still save the "plunk test" ones just for the range though.

I backordered the undersize die from Midway.

Edited by tanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am betting the issue is with the case not being sized far enough down. Or the run of the case.

Put the round in the gauge backwards and see if the rim enters the gauge. If it doesn't, twist it around a little in the gauge then put it back in the right way. If it goes in, then it was the rim.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I was having same problem... Bought a 650 last month and have been having 7-10% case gauge failures...

Decided I'd be fine without case gauging bc they seemed to fit my glock 34. I've had 3 complete lockup failures on my 34 and 1 on my 19 and another on an xdm... Of course I'll case gauge my match ammo, but for practice it's pretty annoying.

Anyways, I bought a Lee undersized die from Natchez on Monday, arrived on Thursday... Paid 17$ shipping! For a tiny die!

Anyways, shot maybe 500 rounds over the weekend with the new die's rounds... Had 1 lockup failure and again had to use a screwdriver to open up the barrel lockup to get the round out... (Slide completely stuck and could not hand cycle to clear the jamb)

I guess it brought down my failure rate... Guess next step is to check head stamps and compare which work and which don't...

Or gauge every round, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dillon dies do not size the case all the way down to the bottom. So sometimes you end up with a slight bulge. I use only Lee dies, and never had a problem with 9mm, 40, or 45 cartridges.

What I did on my dillon size die is to polish the lip of the die down to the carbide sleeve. This solved the problem for me.

I was having same problem... Bought a 650 last month and have been having 7-10% case gauge failures...

Decided I'd be fine without case gauging bc they seemed to fit my glock 34. I've had 3 complete lockup failures on my 34 and 1 on my 19 and another on an xdm... Of course I'll case gauge my match ammo, but for practice it's pretty annoying.

Anyways, I bought a Lee undersized die from Natchez on Monday, arrived on Thursday... Paid 17$ shipping! For a tiny die!

Anyways, shot maybe 500 rounds over the weekend with the new die's rounds... Had 1 lockup failure and again had to use a screwdriver to open up the barrel lockup to get the round out... (Slide completely stuck and could not hand cycle to clear the jamb)

I guess it brought down my failure rate... Guess next step is to check head stamps and compare which work and which don't...

Or gauge every round, lol

That sounds more like a length issue or possibly left a case belled somehow

1.135+/-

could maybe use a tighter crimp... I've gone really easy with that after reading hundreds of posts on here saying "too much crimp!"

Lol

Edited by bigbob21

Drop a few in the case gage after you size them but before they hit your expander. At least then you will know if it is a sizing issue or not removing enough of the flare after seating/crimping. If it is a sizing issue set the press up where it cams over a little at the end of the stroke.

three out of about 1,400 rounds rejected.

I think your "problem" was not the reloading process, but the GAUGE. :ph34r:

If they load into your chamber, they're just great .... :cheers:

That was my thought as well ;)

Who cares what the gauge says, unless that gauge is cut the same as your chamber.

I always spot check plunk and mag length vs my barrel and mags.

I was getting a fail rate of about 5% on 9mm on my 650. That was way too high after trouble shooting it was my seating die I flipped the stem around to the shape that matches my bullet profile better. It was seating some bullets crooked. My fail rate is less than 5 per thousand now.

My die set-up

1 Lee sizing die

2 Dillon powder

3 Powder check

4 Dillion seating

5 Dillion crimp

The high primer concerns me! That should be your first and foremost situation to resolve. After that you can move to case gauging. Once you find what caused your high primer, you may also find why you may have a sizing problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The high primer concerns me! That should be your first and foremost situation to resolve. After that you can move to case gauging. Once you find what caused your high primer, you may also find why you may have a sizing problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1.....the high primer is more of an issue than a few rounds that won't chamber. It might just be the pic but it seems like the primer seating depth isn't very consistent in those rounds. I'd work on that first.

So again, sorry to thread jack, but to follow up:

Bought a 9mm u-die, ran about 400 rounds through it, mixed brass, same oal, did some drills today and had about 8-9 complete lookups. (Slide stuck with round chambered but slight gap between barrel and slide)

I've been carrying a small flathead with me to unhinge the slide in case that happens. (I stick it In between the barrel and slide opening on the extractor side and force it open)

Each time the case/round is stuck in the barrel and need to use the flathead for that as well...

I took the rounds home and none fit the case gauge nor the barrel plunk test with a twist...

I guess only thing left to do is: sort brass by headstand and find the culprits, or case gauge every round, even for practice...

*sigh*

Edited by bigbob21

So again, sorry to thread jack, but to follow up:

Bought a 9mm u-die, ran about 400 rounds through it, mixed brass, same oal, did some drills today and had about 8-9 complete lookups. (Slide stuck with round chambered but slight gap between barrel and slide)

I've been carrying a small flathead with me to unhinge the slide in case that happens. (I stick it In between the barrel and slide opening on the extractor side and force it open)

Each time the case/round is stuck in the barrel and need to use the flathead for that as well...

I took the rounds home and none fit the case gauge nor the barrel plunk test with a twist...

I guess only thing left to do is: sort brass by headstand and find the culprits, or case gauge every round, even for practice...

*sigh*

Not to sound too harsh, but something's not right if the failure rate is that high. Others have said it elsewhere in this thread, but the place to start is by sizing rounds and making sure they gauge. Once they all pass there, make sure you're only belling enough to seat the bullet without shaving it. Finally, set the crimp and do a final check on sizing.

It isn't unrealistic to expect near 100% reliability from reloads.

At a minimum gauge or barrel check match ammo. The truly OCD approach is to gauge or barrel check every round.

*sigh*

The force applied by your recoil spring to put those rounds into battery is not so high that you need a screwdriver. Hold slide firmly down range in left hand, slam right hand into frame to break the jam.

My guess is CBC brass is your culprit. CBC and certain bullet profiles will jam a tight chamber every time even at OALs that work with all other brass.

Measure diameter of case mouth afer crimp stage. Should be about 0.378" for 9mm. Overcrimping can counter-inuitively cause the case mount to expand more and cause CG and plunk test failures.

lube your cases. take a bunch of 9mm cases and measure them. you will be surprised how much they vary in length. take one that measured in the middle range and then set our crimp with that case. set it at .377/.378. this way the shorter one will still get adequate crimp while the longer ones will receive slightly more crimp. its the best way to do it unless you sort by stamp or length.

Some love the FCD, some hate it. I have run 10's of thousands through my press in 9mm and i don't even adjust from coated/FMJ/ plated.

I use mixed brass, but I still check head stamps. I remove all CBC, SB, and anything else that is a weird head stamp. I learned after having similar experiences as other in this thread, that almost all of my CG failures were those head stamps. It takes more time but I'd rather fix it at home than screw with it at the range or on the clock. I actually CG and measure each round I load. Now if I get a CG failure I plunk test it. I haven't had a failure yet using this process.

The moral of the story is check your brass before you start and save the frustration later.

Are you using an aftermarket Glock 34 barrel? What's your load recipe? If the chamber is too tight and/or COL is too long, you could have the problem you described.

Are you using an aftermarket Glock 34 barrel? What's your load recipe? If the chamber is too tight and/or COL is too long, you could have the problem you described.
Yes

Kkm

I'm noticing it's picker than stock. But my wife's xdm takes be cake... That stock barrel doesn't like anything over 1.1350

So I'm starting to load to 1.12 for both guns and had no jams today at a match. (Gauged 200 rounds and tossed about 3-4 that didn't pass)

Edited by bigbob21