Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Major Match

Balakay

I am shooting my first major match at the end of the month. I am looking for any words of advice. Any deviation in typical dry fire/live fire routines?

My equipment and ammo is squared away.

I have reviewed the stage diagrams but I find it hard to plan based on paper alone.

Shoot your game and let everyone else screw up

Practice what you suck at or hate, everybody likes to practice the fun stuff, practice the hard stuff, does the match have strong and weak hand stages, practice that

It's like a club match with more quality, and less gimmicks (Texas Stars slow things down and result in a lot of reshoots/calibration calls). Shoot it like it's your club match with double the amount of stages. The winner is who shoots the best and screws up the least.

Especially if you're shooting at Frostproof, get there the day before and

spend a lot of time understanding each COF - make sure you know

where all the targets are, and how you'll shoot them. :closedeyes:

My first match in Frostproof, a squad member arrive 10 minutes late, because he

thought he knew where the range was - don't guess, get there Very Early, or

better yet, the day before. (He was NOT allowed to shoot). :mellow:

Bring lots of water, sunscreen, hat, spare gun or parts - much more ammo

than you'll need. Bandaids. Food. Rain gear.

Spend some time getting on the right squad - you're going to spend a

very long day with a group of people - make sure they're a match and

fun to shoot with. :closedeyes:

Be a bit more cautious - they'll have less leeway in interpreting rules -

you don't want to spend $150 in match fees, plus a hotel room, and

then get DQ'd .... :surprise:

Just kidding - just enjoy it - don't worry too much. :cheers:

Go a day early. Try to get there so you can watch some of the shooting, and then have time after to walk the stages. Print out the stage diagrams and take notes. Try to have a solid plan for each of the stages. Go back to your hotel and visualize yourself running through all of the stages and visualize your sights on the A zones in each target on each of the stages. The idea is to get to the match the next day feeling prepared and relaxed.

Take water and make yourself drink it. Take food and make yourself eat it. The first several large matches I attended I would run out of gas and my performance would show it on the last 3 or 4 stages.

Otherwise, make a plan, rehearse the plan for each stage, and shoot within your ability. Try your best to just treat it like a bigger, nicer club match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm scheduled for five majors this year - first one coming up in two months. This is a great thread... and I've got two months of local matches and practice to get ready. To the OP, GOOD LUCK and have fun!

If the match is coming up at the end of this month there's not much you can really do to get better. I would focus on polishing up the fundamentals and try to get as much solid practicing in as possible. Basic drills like distance changeup with movement, 2 @ 25 and Accelerator are a good start.

In terms of mental programming I think people have already said it. Shoot your own game and don't worry about what other people are doing. If you could surround yourself with friends and people you enjoy shooting with the better

• 1 month later...

On top of the great advise already provided, the biggest thing for me is, try to get your stage-breakdown quickly and commit to it. There may be slightly better variations, but second guessing your decision while you're "making ready" isn't prudent!

Second thing is, when you decide on your plan, while you're waiting to shoot rehearse the plan in your head... AND think through the what-ifs and have a Plan-B. For example, what if i slightly overrun a position, do i need to back up, or can i engage that target from a later position.

I am shooting my first major match at the end of the month. I am looking for any words of advice. Any deviation in typical dry fire/live fire routines?

My equipment and ammo is squared away.

I have reviewed the stage diagrams but I find it hard to plan based on paper alone.

Well, it's past the end of the month. How did it go?