Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1x optic for 3 gun

PHX

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, is there a noticeable improvement over a 20"?

A longer sight radius offers a greater latitude in misalignment than a shorter one.

You or me making use of that is the question.

I built the 18" Iron as I wanted something faster for bay stages. It does in fact have more sight radius that a stock 20" A2 carbine.

My rifle pictured above is an 18" gun. I really like that setup. It has a prototype front sight tower that I made last year. I put it down the list until I got my cnc milling machine online. My machine is now online, and the pictures that you have posted brought it back up the list. So, is it safe to assume, if you are shooting a match with targets 450 and in you would reach for the 18" gun before the 22"?

My rifle pictured above is an 18" gun. I really like that setup. It has a prototype front sight tower that I made last year. I put it down the list until I got my cnc milling machine online. My machine is now online, and the pictures that you have posted brought it back up the list. So, is it safe to assume, if you are shooting a match with targets 450 and in you would reach for the 18" gun before the 22"?

450 would be a toss up and more dependent on what kind of targets and stages made up the other 70+% of the rifle targets.

I was wondering if one of you gentleman could help me out, I'm looking for a front sight post that will work with the JP 20" .875 barrel. I figure I'll convert this rifle for resurgence but I can't seem to find a sight anywhere.

I'm astigmatic but it's corrected. Often what happens if you have uncorrected astigmatism is red dots will bloom out and become more difficult to use. I'm not sure what it does to rifle irons since I suck with them anyway. Etched reticles on the prismatics have don't suffer the bloom.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in feedback on how the Vortex Spitfire reticle works on smaller targets with the 3 MOA center dot. I've been using an Eotech that's having problems with reticle fade so I'm going to get a refund and need a replacement. Sometimes the targets are fairly small or obscured and the 1 MOA center dot on the Eotech works well for that. Would a Spitifre work well in that kind of situation? Also, is the Spitfire a true 1X?

Edited by Bowman

Etched reticles on the prismatics have don't suffer the bloom.

Actually, I have noticed that a strongly illuminated center dot on an etched reticle does also bloom, but I would have to do a side-by-side comparison at comparable illumination levels to determine whether it is as bad as with an Aimpoint. Of course, if you turn down/off the etched reticle illumination there is no blooming, but you are very dependent on the target color, surroundings and lighting conditions as to whether a small black dot is usable. I have tried a couple of etched reticles (Spitfire, Prismatic), but keep coming back to my trusty Aimpoint. I do have astigmatism, but minimize its effects by wearing clear glasses and shooting in bright AZ sunshine. At night the blooming is brutal.

Etched reticles on the prismatics have don't suffer the bloom.

Actually, I have noticed that a strongly illuminated center dot on an etched reticle does also bloom, but I would have to do a side-by-side comparison at comparable illumination levels to determine whether it is as bad as with an Aimpoint.

not even close!

Eric

I might be Englishing bad at what the phenomenon is where a red dot looks crooked because of astigmatism. I can make the red dots (and the XTRII) offensively fuzzy by cranking up the brightness, but they're never skewed for me.

I understand the phenomenon you are describing - I have the same problem, a "smeared" dot, and it gets worse in lower light (presumably due to a wider pupil). I have also noticed it with my Meopta K-Dot when set at high brightness levels... not fuzziness, but distortion. Maybe its just my funky eyes :surprise:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I was wondering if one of you gentleman could help me out, I'm looking for a front sight post that will work with the JP 20" .875 barrel. I figure I'll convert this rifle for resurgence but I can't seem to find a sight anywhere.

I just get my barrels down to .750 from the end of the .875 barrel two inches back. This gives plenty of clearance for this.. http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-2FS

Then we chuck up the post in a drill and file it down to .035'ish.

Edited by mike_pinto

I'm interested in feedback on how the Vortex Spitfire reticle works on smaller targets with the 3 MOA center dot. I've been using an Eotech that's having problems with reticle fade so I'm going to get a refund and need a replacement. Sometimes the targets are fairly small or obscured and the 1 MOA center dot on the Eotech works well for that. Would a Spitifre work well in that kind of situation? Also, is the Spitfire a true 1X?

IMO, it is as close to true 1x as I need, and I am very sensitive to that. I think the center dot is much easier to use for accuracy because it is so much crisper than an Eotech.

I was surprised how well it worked for me. Much better than the microdot it replaced. I love it and will never go back to red dots. I rarely use or need illumination, but when I do it is Arizona daylight bright and in green or red. It is a giant bargain from a price/performance perspective, imo.

Disclaimer: I am not P.E. Kelley, lol.

IMO, it is as close to true 1x as I need, and I am very sensitive to that. I think the center dot is much easier to use for accuracy because it is so much crisper than an Eotech.

I was surprised how well it worked for me. Much better than the microdot it replaced. I love it and will never go back to red dots. I rarely use or need illumination, but when I do it is Arizona daylight bright and in green or red. It is a giant bargain from a price/performance perspective, imo.

Disclaimer: I am not P.E. Kelley, lol.

Somedays I ain't either!