Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets in or Bullets out?

blacklab

Not sure where to post this question so I'll start here. I've been playing around with rig trying different things and can't decide what is better, bullets in or bullets out. Both ways seem to have pros and cons. With bullets out I can go a little faster but then fumble right at the mag well. With bullets in it's a little slower with having to do a little wrist twisting, but I hit the mag well and seat the mags a lot better.

So I'm wondering what way do you have your bullets and why?

Tried both. Stuck with bullets forward for production. Faster and more consistent. You'll have to experiment and figure out what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good suggestion.

Reading BE's book, "A lot of things I do may not work for you"

I have 3 pouches - front one in the middle below my belly button is bullets out, or bullets facing forward of where i am looking. The rest run along the side and also face forward of where i am, but the pouches are not run in the "bullets out" configuration.

This is the Open section right?

I run them facing forward I guess. My 1st mag, and pretty much the only one that ever gets used is right at the button for my pants. That mag really faces up, I see no way bullets out could be faster from this location.

In dry fire I've found a completely empty mag in the gun can't drop out faster than I can get the new mag to the magwell. That typically results in pain, as the two mags and your fingers all meet in the same place.

Forward. A much faster and more natural movement for me. That being said, if I ever shoot Production I'd give out another chance. Actually, bullets in is what I would try. Out just plain hurts my wrist. I can't believe how many Production shooters have mags all the way around to the middle of their backs. That cannot be conducive to speedy mag changes.

The goal is, to have your weak hand index finger tip touching the tip of the first bullet. Of course, on large capacity magazines, your index finger will simply lay along the forward surface of the magazine, and point towards the mag well . . . aka pointing the magazine into the mag well.

Now, back track your magazine to the mag holder. I think you will find, like most of us, you want the bullets pointing forward. In the case of mag pouches on your belt across you belly, the bullets will point to the right.

Looks like forward is the way to go. Guess I'll practice that way.

Thanks for the input.

Don't let people decide for you! Try both. I prefer bullets forward, my dad likes bullets out. Stoeger runs his bullets out, Michel has his forward.

This is one of the many things in this sport where only you can decide what is better, for you.

The goal is, to have your weak hand index finger tip touching the tip of the first bullet. Of course, on large capacity magazines, your index finger will simply lay along the forward surface of the magazine, and point towards the mag well . . . aka pointing the magazine into the mag well.

Now, back track your magazine to the mag holder. I think you will find, like most of us, you want the bullets pointing forward. In the case of mag pouches on your belt across you belly, the bullets will point to the right.

Agreed

Agreed

The only top Open shooter I have noticed shooting bullets out is Brodie McIntosh, and I would imagine that is due to the fact he has to carry more mags (Open 10 in Australia).

A lot of the top Open shooters run the first mag between 10 and 12 o clock as viewed from overhead, and canted around 45 degrees relative to the belt. Play with it a bit and you will find a position that minimizes movement to the magwell.

What works best for you Rob.

Bigboy,

I don't know what way I like better, but I have learned that if the masses are doing something it's done that way for a reason. I think I'll just stick with forward for awhile and see what happens.